Remote Control (for T.V.'s / DVD players) Software for SPV?

Guest urdone311

Guest urdone311

Hey everyone, Has anyone yet heard any information on using your SPV as a universal remote control for your home devices?

it would work well since the IR is on the front of the phone......

(unlike the Tohisba E740 with it on the side.. that sucked)

Guest Carnivor

i dont think the infra-red is powerful enough,

tv remote uses a wide beam so you can simply point at the tv to operate it

spv and other pda type products use a very narrow beam meaning its faster and you would need sniper vision to aim it accuratly enough, and I think you only have a 1/2 meter distance, making it easier to just raise your arm and press the button actually on the tv.

as I say, i dont really know but i picked this up from somewhere

Guest urdone311

Makes sense....I guess we'll have to wait for Bluetooth enabled DVD players/TV's....(and bluetooth on our phones)

that would be sweet., wouldnt even have to aim!

Guest Syvwlch

The range is sometimes much less (depends on device), but the beam is not inherently narrower, and speed (frequency of the data modulation of the light's intensity) is not affected by beam width... at least not at the phreaks we're talking about. :)

These IrDa are actually quite standardized and mass-produced.

Factoid :

Take a picture with a digital camera of the phone in a room with no light with the IrDa emitting and the screen covered... Usually you will be able to see the IrDa led as a bright dot because the camera is sensitive to infrared unlike your eye.

Guest PsychoDave

Used to test remote controls this way but using a video camera, doesn't need to be dark to work.

Not really relevant but i'm not thinkin too straight at the mo :?

Guest Syvwlch

I tried that with my Nikon Coolpix, and the infrared filter must be rather good, cuz it needed a dark room. Not total black, admittedly.

To sorta bring this back online and spur a move (ooh, ooh, dirty word) to the hardware section, has anyone tried this with the SPV's camera?

You'd need mirrors, or two SPVs, I guess...

Guest Syvwlch

Bad news, guys...

Here is a comparison shot of the SPV beam a contact and a DVD player RC sending out a "stop" command.

Note the SPV is so much less powerful it doesn't show, while the RC is nice and bright?

I'll try to get something from the phone in total darkness with an 8 second shot, but I'm not too optimistic. My camera isn't very good at picking up IR.

SPV Irda.jpg

Guest HelloDave
has anyone tried this with the SPV's camera?

Pointless fact but yes, the SPV's camera does pick up infra red, and quite well too (so a crap IR filter then!). It was quite handy when I wanted to test some IR emitter/reciever sensors the other day!

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

remote-ipaq.jpgspvir1.jpgspvir3.jpg

My mates ipaq and my tv button box just taken with the SPV camera. I spent the first 20 mins trying to set up 2 mirrors to get the SPV IR port in with no luck :/ Either it was too low intensity or i didnt have the right angle. nm...

edit: added some one's of the SPV taken with my cheap crappy digicams. First one looks promising-ish....

Guest Maverick

But Has any one even tried getting it to work at all ??

I would, but I know very little abt IR devices and a little less about CE programming...

Hmmm... To me.. its 'do-able' until proven otherwise !! :twisted: :shock: :idea: :!:

Guest Syvwlch

Can't seem to get a decent picture of the SPV's IrDa emitting. I will try again while it's actually communicatng with the PC, to remove a nagging doubt that it *isn't* emitting at all.

Guest Carnivor

my sony video camera picked up no probs, spv was set to beam a contact and because it was pulsing this was my 4th attempt to actually get the beam showing

But dont let the brightness fool you. This could well be because of the pulsing if the pic was taken off time it will appear dimmer, and also due to the tinted cover on the SPV.

DSC00004.JPG

DSC00006.JPG

Guest Syvwlch

Well, that certainly looks like and bright. Must have caught it between pulses last night...

If you have a remote control lying around, care to do a comparison shot?

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

From the pictures i took the IrDa on the SPV didnt look much brighter than the ipaq's, which my mate can't get to work as a remote unless he's within a fw meters of the telly. Still worth a shot imho...

Guest Syvwlch

Well, looks like power of the beam shouldn't be too much of a problem!

Thanks, Carnivor!

Always knew we needed guys like you in the food chain. :)

Guest jester666

Hello, does anyone test the program on "The Code Project- Infrared Comm" ?

Or anyone try to use source code ?

At this time SPV can send/receive file with 'smartexplorer', it is impossible to make an adaptation for send/receive IR sequence like a file emulation or something like this ?

Guest urdone311

Hmmm, I wonder if it would be at all possible to "upgrade" our IR ports to a stronger beam.....(u know, replace a few guts). Just think if someone actually developed a GOOD program to do this.....it would sell like a mofo. :)

Guest Carnivor
i think carnivor's big right toe nail needs a bit of a clippin'

he he he :wink:

Dam j00. ive done it already, infact i've pruned all my toe nails,. even tho i did have to use wire clippers for those stubborn big toe nails ( and that aint no lie)