Orange and Tanager

Guest rocknsock2k

Guest Firaas
ajb3000 is a man with his head screwed on, and with number porting it shouldn't even hurt!

Indeed - just spoke to T-Mobile in fact, they've got the Tanager coming June/July, and Orange are happy to terminate your contract if you give them back the SPV.

Guest Firaas
eh? even before 12 months?

Why would they do that?

Good will I'm guessing - they may as well give you a good impression when you're about to leave.

You have two options, pay off your contract and keep your phone, or give it back and no contract to pay.

Guest Paul [MVP]

I have to say I don't think that the Orange guy hid away in the corner at the event, in fact I think that we didn't make best use of him... if anything we were probably reluctant to talk to him :)

Wearing an O branded t-shirt or something would have been cool so people could identify him... ;)

P

Guest Simon Desser
"]I think that we didn't make best use of him... if anything we were probably reluctant to talk to him ;)

P

I would have like to have had a "civilized" questions and answers session, with the MS guys, and a representative from Orange. Once the initial rants about Certification, and GPRS bundles etc etc. were out of the way, I'm sure all parties could have found it very useful.

Guest Firaas
"]I have to say I don't think that the Orange guy hid away in the corner at the event, in fact I think that we didn't make best use of him... if anything we were probably reluctant to talk to him ;)

I think one of the main problems was that there was nothing we could actually speak to him about that he didn't have to keep confidential. He was happy saying how good Orange was, but what we really wanted to know was when the SPVx was out, what other phones Orange had planned and stuff like that - and he wasn't able to give us any specific info, because it hadn't been made public.

However, the MS guys, Mikael especially, had really thorough tech knowledge on all the platforms, and were able to speak to us quite specifically about upcoming phones, the phones they had, and that was able to fill in three hours!

Additionally, the Orange guy had absolutely nothing we could play with too, while many people went to the MS guys for a look at the Intel, the joystick, keyboard or the Mitac.

Oh yeah - the joystick was at the event too for anyone who missed out. Although it was a prototype, and we didn't have a phone with drivers upon which it could be tested :)

Guest The unexpected guest !

Latest news from Orange France

- Final name of SPVx will be "SPVc".

- This phone will never be sold in France :cry:, but the new SPV with integrated camera will be unveiled in September.

More info to come if I can... :wink:

Sorry, info are in French...

Here http://www.mobicity.com/index.php?page=mbm...article&id=3199

and here http://mobile.bpit.ch/index.php?act=ST&f=2&t=1159

But translated with Babelfish.com:

France private of SPVc

The Orange SPV has undergoes a "relookage" more beautiful effect. Result: the smartphone names from now on "SPVc" and lays out of a new unit "keyboard/joystick" more ergonomic in order to return navigation in its menus and on more pleasant Internet. Unfortunately, this terminal will be never available in France, Orange reserving it the Switzerland markets and to Belgian. That the aficionados of the product are reassured, Orange promises for France an evolution of the SPV to the re-entry: the terminal will integrate a numerical camera.

;)

Guest midnight

i once believed everything i read in the news to be true aswell, hmmm, wonder if they ever did salvage that ww2 bomber from the moon

actually, it doesnt really affect anything even if it was true. that just means O wont release it, doesnt mean no other mobi operator wont (for example in the uk T-mobile are releasingh the tanager aswell, so whos to say something similar wont happen in france)

I posted many times some infos in this topic about a possible cancellation of SPVx for UK... but nobody wanted to believe me :cry:

Now, this time I hope you will :wink:

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=9017

Orange to delay Smartphone SPV e100

Pre-announced phone hits Orange's sales

By Tony Dennis: vendredi 18 avril 2003, 10:57

ORANGE IS HOLDING back the launch of an improved version of the Windows SPV Smartphone which was announced at 3GSM Cannes in February 2003, according to Mobile magazine.  

While the original model was aimed at early adopters and business users who 'synced' the SPV with their PCs, the new SPV e100 (codenamed SPVx) is intended to provide consumers with easier access to games, music and entertainment services.  

Specific features to be offered by the SPV e100 include a larger keyboard layout plus a 'joystick' for gaming and menu navigation.  

It will also feature an improved colour screen for better Internet surfing and a more consumer orientated menu system. Other consumer focussed accessories will include memory cards pre-loaded with games, video clips and MP3 files plus a cable for camera attachment – designed to encourage greater use of MMS/fototext.  

The SPV was, of course, heavily co-sponsored by Microsoft, and Orange appears to be suffering from the scourge of the IT world – namely pre-announced products killing off demand for the old model while consumers wait for the Next Big Thing.  

Hence the SPV has dropped to as little as £70 online compared to its theoretical retail price of £220. According to Mobile some 40,000 out of the original 70,000 SPVs earmarked for the UK are still unsold. So although the promised availability of six to eight weeks after the announcement has now passed, the SPV e100 mysteriously hasn't made its way into stores in the UK, France, Denmark and Switzerland yet. µ

Guest Firaas
I posted many times some infos in this topic about a possible cancellation of SPVx for UK... but nobody wanted to believe me :cry:

With all due respect, that article, in simple words, says "The SPV e100 is delayed".

There's nothing new there, unexpected one.

There is no mention whatsoever about a cancellation - "HOLDING BACK" being the key words.

Guest Big Ron - No Longer a Mem

"Also as Firaas said, it was mentioned by Orange at the meet that it

will be released between 4 to 6 weeks, so 6 weeks would be the more

reliable figure. "

Unless a rival Telco releases something in between times, in which case... they'll release early. Tech support upgrade will however remain "on schedule", so there could be a gap of several weeks between release and tech support even being told that it's available.

Guest midnight

there's that feckin red lettering again, jeez, is your opinion the only one that counts? do you always have to be right? can you not actually be wrong at any time.. ever? it says delayed, not cancelled, and like i said... O have delayed, doesn't mean that T-Mobile will, and they reckon June/July release date.

Guest Firaas
theres that feckin red lettering again, jeez, is your opinion the only one that counts do you always have to be right, can you not actually be wrong at any time ever, it says delayed, not cancelled, and like i said, O have delayed, doesnt mean that T-Mobile will, and they reckon June/July release date.

Nicely put midnight ;)

Guest midnight

probably cos thats the second time he's worded in red letters against me, for me red is the sign of aggression, as in... look, i'm right, you're wrong, shut up!

Guest Big Ron - No Longer a Mem
probably cos thats the second time he's worded in red letters against me, for me red is the sign of aggression, as in... look, i'm right, you're wrong, shut up!

Strange... with a female chimp's ass, red means she's gagging for it...

Ron

Guest skimask

lol@ron . could just mean that he's emphasising his point mate. i could be wrong but the tone of his post didn't sound very aggressive to me.

Guest midnight

if thats the case then i apologise, by the way, it was red, bold and 1pt larger font, not just red.

i saw that as aggressive, like i said, not the first time that has been directed at me by the same person, and to me it's a sign of aggression as no-one else ever uses red text in general comments, maybe i'm incorrect.

all i am trying to say is that recently it has been announced that the spv e100 would be released in roughly 6 weeks by an orange representative, if this has changed and the spv has been delayed then fair enough, these things happen, but, that isnt to say that the spv will be cancelled, and i dont as a rule tend to listen to rumours and the odd occasional news article. the general press has been well known to 'occassionally' blow things out of all proportion and until we get an official response from orange (if that will ever happen) i will be taking all these news articles with a pinch of salt.

Guest awarner [MVP]

Play nice all ;)

Now for my bit :)

At the meet Orange said that the SPVx will be released in 4-6 weeks this statement

was after the Mobius meet.

The modaco meet was in the UK

The Mobius meet was in France

So who's to say that Orange FranceUK have different plans?

maybe unlikely but who knows?