Guide to Painting Your SPV

Guest cpt_andy

Guest cpt_andy

Sick of you plain old silver SPV? Paint it then!

I recently decided to paint my SPV and have compiled a guide incase anyone else wanted advise on doing this. You can find the guide here.

Attached is a picture of the finished item.

Cpt. Andy

metallic_blue_spv.jpg

Guest Richie M

Aw, thats the nicest custom paint job i've seen :)

Well done m8, and i think your the only one who was bothered to paint all the back aswell ;)

Guest MoRFLeZ

That really does look extremely cool!! Very well done!

I'm thinking of giving mine a paintjob ... but I might just 'wait' untill I can get a new cover and toy around with first..

Guest b1uepower

That does look really good dude... ive got some spray paint left from my tech corsework ;) so later on this week i might have a go.. depends if i get the over off with out breaking it. :?

Guest cpt_andy

Thanks for all the positive feedback guys :)

b1uepower: If you do decide to go for it, make sure you let us all know how it goes ;)

Cpt. Andy

Guest th0mz

thanks for your great example, did it your way and painted mine metallic blue too (only had THAT and a white spraycan BTW :))... Taking the phone apart went w/o any problems at all......... and the paint job looks awesome, could just as well be your picture! cleaning the screen for dust was easy too, I used a cotton class whiper thingie to dust it off, and then placed (glued) a little piece of thin plastic film (used to cover food products) at the back of the microphone opening. Flawless! ;) I'm a happy man now........

Guest EMGenius

would not mind doing this but i would like to knowhow easy it is to chip the paint off first, the standard silver seems quite robust, what is a sprayed phone like in comparison?

Guest cpt_andy
would not mind doing this but i would like to knowhow easy it is to chip the paint off first, the standard silver seems quite robust, what is a sprayed phone like in comparison?
As far as I know, many people, including myself, have found that the standard paint scratches off quite easily, which was one of the reasons I did this, as I can always touch it up if it does scratch/chip.

I will post on how it stands up to normal use compared with the standard paint after I have used it more, as I only finished it yesterday.

Thomz-->  

Show picz .... :)

Agreed...we want pics! ;)

Cpt. Andy

Guest cpt_andy
humm i got the back off but i cna not get the small scew out.. any ideas any body?

You will need a small cross-tipped jeweller's screwdriver (No.00) or equivalent. The screw is in fairly tight, so be sure not to damage the screen when undoing it.

EDIT: I just tested, and you can just about do it with a small electrician's screwdriver (the sort you use for doing up terminals etc.).

Guest marjon

cpt_andy: love the paint job! thinking of spraying mine metalic red, its true the standard silver paint does chip off too easily.. unfortunately my spv is away for repairs (got extremely drunk on friday and fell over, bang goes my screen... :evil: those things crack to easily) but nevermind as soon as it is back! btw how easy is it to remove the silver bit that goes around the screen (with the spv logo on it) tryed removing it once and felt it snapping.. ne ideas?

Guest cpt_andy

It is fairly tricky to remove the silver bit. I did it by pushing up in the middle where the glue is thinnest, getting my nail under the edge and working my way around.

Have you seen this red SPV?

Cpt. Andy

Guest th0mz

b1uepower: I used the tip of a fruit knife to loosen the bastard! ;) and NederSoren I cannot take a pic as the only cam I have is the one attached to the buttom of the SPV :) Could take one using a few mirrors when I get back home ofcuz! :D hehe.....

Guest marjon
It is fairly tricky to remove the silver bit. I did it by pushing up in the middle where the glue is thinnest, getting my nail under the edge and working my way around.

Have you seen this red SPV?

Cpt. Andy

Cheers for that, looks preety smart that red spv. soon as its back i'll have a go. does anyone know a place of buying new fascias? incase it fecks up.. for the mean time im stuck with a shitty replacement phone (a 3330, man i hate nokias)..

Guest b1uepower

Yeah i have now got it off and sprayed it :) now i just have to wait.. nooooo a cuple of days with out my spv and insted a bosh 509e :? how will i cope.... i knew i should of kepted my 3210 but insted i swoped it for a 256mb..

Just found a Nokia 6150 ahh thats better then the bosh 509 ;)

Guest casper508

Thats a very cool job cpt_andy. Love the final outcome. I might give it a go sometime soon. Metallic blue aigh..that'll match my car ;)

Cas