chess game due out Monday.

Guest davy

Guest Gorskar

COOL! I've been waiting for a chess game, and now a freeware one!!

Very Nice indeed, and if Orneta Notepad is anything to go by we can expect it to be high quality also!

Guest awarner [MVP]
It's shown on the link as free ( and there other excellent stuff, so far, is free too ).

no it's not??

Our freeware products:

Orneta Notepad for MS Smartphone 2002

Orneta Tester for MS Smartphone 2002

Our commercial products:

Orneta Chess for MS Smartphone 2002

Sorry guys, ;)

I have just rechecked the link and it has been changed! :evil:

When I first posted it was listed as free and also said that their commercial apps would be released in the summer? :?:

davy. :)

Guest NederSoren

nope im sure you were right... A shame that you're not right anymore ;)

Im not going to suport them.. Pay for an app with that bad gfx? Not in their dreams..

And that is even though it might be a good game!

Guest Orneta
Pay for an app with that bad gfx? Not in their dreams..

And that is even though it might be a good game!

We at Orneta pay attention to functionality (features + ability to see antenna/battery while playing), not to fancy graphics:

- one can set level of playing and the time of "thinking" of the computer - so the program can play at any level (the playing engine is not bad anyway even with standard time) - you can set "time" (of "thinking") and "depth" (of searching - "thinking")

- the state of the game is saved so you can close the program (or it can be even killed) but the state of the game is not lost - you can play thus in one game over many many days (months, years)

- there is possibility to show history of latest moves

- the program is strongly multi-threaded: you can move cursor and use menu while the program is "thinking"

The program will be at first not-signed but soon it will be signed (those who bought unsigned will get signed version for free). It will be available on Monday 28 March 2003 for purchase for 4.44 USD at Handango.

We will consider improving graphics but we would like to keep antenna and battery visible! (not full screen)

We will also sign our freeware programs (Notepad, Tester, and some more upcoming!!!) and we will keep them free despite signing!

Guest simon11

I think the game looks great. Don't want processing time taken up with drawing graphics. I will purchase it when it is signed as I haven't bothered to unlock and risk gprs faults. I think at that price it is a must. I love chess and I cann't wait!

Guest Gorskar

well I will buy it. The price is low, and I have been waiting a long time for a chess game. Flashy graphics are not the be all and end all in a game.

Guest Richie M

i agree with Gorskar, you dont need decent graphics with chess :roll: it's the opponent engine thats the most important thing, but i do hope Orneta will release a demo version ;)

Guest simon11
well I will buy it. The price is low, and I have been waiting a long time for a chess game. Flashy graphics are not the be all and end all in a game.

Especially with chess. I find that you can concentrate more on the game with a clear 2d layout. I always played it in 2d on my pocket pc although it has 3d option.

Guest PsychoDave

Yup Gotta agree with you there Gorksar.

With chess it doesn't matter about the graphics, now if the opponents are way too hard or easy then thats gonna get on my nerves. As long as you get a good game out of it who cares how it looks.

Just my 2c ;)

Guest midnight

i'll do the gfx for you if you'd like ;) :wink:

some nice pleasant background music would be nice aswell (image tetris without music, it just wouldnt be the same hehe)