HELP URGENT!! HDD/OS problem

Guest casper508

Guest siu99spj

They can do, as I mentioned either via loop through, or the fact they can go at the speed of the slowest drive, which for a HDD isn't that slow.

However, ATA-66 (WHich your mobo should support) is much better and can get around this, thanks in part to its ground wire shielding. However, only one drive can be transmitting or receiving data at any time (Unless the mobo is clever enough to support loop through). Basically, for the ultimate speed trip, you should have only one device on each IDE channel, but that isn't sensible in real life.

Just group in terms of speed, HDDs on one, spin-cycle devices (CD, DVD, ZIP, etc) on another. Just ensure CDRW's are master (Some software throws a wobbly if not) and don't do too much on-the-fly burning (Unless you got burn-proof, or your copy drive on a different IDE channel). The delay in the data going out and coming back is too much and you end up with coasters.

Anyhow, so long as nothing seems to be crawling why complain? You're not going to notice the odd additional couple of ms difference are you?

Guest casper508
Caper: Sorry to hear that. Annoying ain't it? I dual boot XP and 98 but when I installed them I made sure the other drive didn't see it (Physically disconnected).

See thats what i did!!

I disconnected the Win2k drive (didnt have a fifth connector :) either) and used the old 98 to boot and installed 98 on the third. This ALSO corrupted the win98 running on the old one. Now All i did was connect the W2k drive back. Remember that the boot.ini (with the dual boot option ) was in the OLD W98 drive.

Cas

Guest casper508

Overwriting Win98s isnt a problem at all as most of the settings/installations are back in place. I did that without any problem.

But I havent over written a W2k installation b4 but im sure i wont be able to recover any software would I?

I could have managed if i had an ERD (Emergency recovery disk). I had 2 but thanks to unreliable floppys they're both dead.

When it rains , it pours!!

Cas

Guest siu99spj
But I havent over written a W2k installation b4 but im sure i wont be able to recover any software would I?

Should keep all your existing info unless you repartition/format where you're over installing...

Windows might forget some of the settings for things like Outlook though.

Guest SeeJ
SeeJ: Where the hell did you get that idea :? . Most IDE cables (non ATA-66 or above) will only transfer as fast as the SLOWEST drive on them, and no way are Casper's CD/DVD drives even close to that of his HDDs (Unless he's got some funky quantum spinning going on [or maybe just real slow HDDs :oops:])

OK, my bad. Thats what I get for listening to my IT 'expert' flatmate's advice!!

But:

Having the CDRW and DVD on a cable is fine too, so long as he don't do too many on the fly copies

How many on-the-fly copies is too many?? :wink:

So I should have my 2 diamondmax plus hd's (40gig & 120gig, both ATA-133) on the primary controller, and my dvd-rom & CD-RW on the secondary?

Cheers

Guest casper508
Should keep all your existing info unless you repartition/format where you're over installing...

Windows might forget some of the settings for things like Outlook though.

Im afraid it doesnt. Overwriting deletes all user accounts and application data, it does ask you before doing so but theres no way around it.

Well ive overwritten the OS and have installed most of the software. Only thing left is to recover my emails. But thats shouldnt be much of a problem.

Life is finally back to normal. :)

Cas