QuickNames - Automatic HyperLinking of Words

Guest madu

Guest madu

:idea: We have recently started working on a new feature on MoDaCo forums, it is still in development.

* What it does:

- replaces certain words/phrases with same/similar hyperlinked text

- so.. whenever a word referenced in our database appears in a post it would automatically link it to the corresponding topic (ie hard reset)

* Why we did it:

- I was bored and had strange ideas floating in my brain. :)

- It's pretty cool

- It just happened, so we immediately thought of it's....

* Implications:

- reduce the number of questions of "Where? How?" type

- reduce the number of other stupid questions

- provide better help/advice to newb's and the rest of the forum

- decrease posting time of answers/advice

- increase advice 'helpfulness' to users

- make life easier for your moderators (in the long run, after database populated with links)

- make life harder for Paul (he's gotta work on the technical issues)

- confuse people sometimes

* What words will it include:

- FAQ (titles)

- know-hows

- main issues

- software titles

- solutions/workarounds

- bugs (most frequent)

- whatever comes to our crazy minds

* Issues:

- There are still some problems with integration so you may see odd looking pages. Don't be scared. Report to ghost busters (mods) :(

- Words in search results are sometimes replaced with links, so be sure you click the correct part of the topic name (before the hyperlink replacement kicks in. text after that is likely to appear plain black)

- Other issues we don't know of, comments welcome

* Tips:

- To prevent hyperlinking put an _underscore before the word

- Same advice for custom hyperlinks (not in the link itself you muppet!)

* What YOU need to do about this:

- enjoy beta-testing our new feature! (feedback welcome)

- be proud of your MoDaCo team! :lol:

I've done enough typing, gonna retreat now.

Hope you enjoy this great new feature!

Please post suggestions/comments/problems/criticisms here.

Regards

madu :D

* Current LIST of words:

- Should be an up-to-date list of words (so you can use them in your posts as '_quicknames')

- Presented in format: autoreplaced text / _quickname used

0.93 _0.93

0.98 _0.98

certification unlock  _certification unlock

Contact Reformat _Contact Reformat

hard reset _hard reset

home screen _home screen

homescreen _homescreen

orange unlock _orange unlock

original decert _original decert

plug-in _plug-in

plug-ins _plug-ins

plugin _plugin

plugins _plugins

QuickNames  _quicknames

sim lock* _sim lock*

sim unlock* _sim unlock*

Smart Explorer _Smart Explorer

Software Catalogue _Software Catalogue

task manager _task manager

taskman _taskman

usb modem _usb modem

MVP _MVP

GPRS settings _GPRS settings

MMS settings _MMS settings

Phantom SMS            _Phantom SMS

Guest Brody

noticed a small bug when opening this thread using mobile modaco that it doesn't highlight the name quickwords but when i hit the action button it does open the page in mobile format. However, when i went back to the thread listings and tried again, i had the same problem but noticed that if i clicked right on the d-pad that it did highlight the name quickwords but that it then linked to the standard article and not the mobile version! hope this makes sense!?

Guest nickcornaglia

I was wondering what this freaky thing was! I thought some people were just putting alot of extra effor into their posts.

Hard Reset

Soft Reset

Keyboard Driver

Just testing with the Alt 255

Guest superkingdave

sorry but just a small gripe :) mainly in customisation when someone is writing about a new homescreen they might say "check out my new homescreen" people might think that it is a link to the file admittadly only thick people like me. i dont actually think there is any solution and you are doing a great job so feel free to ignore me

Guest superkingdave

hate to get on your backs but is there any way of limiting the number of links in the post because if people are discussing a subject which has a quick link you can end up with loads of links to the same thing which is quite annoying. could you for instance just have a link for the first instance of the word in the topic?

Guest madu

Thanks for feedback. This is the reason why I made the 1st post quite detailed (erm, did i?), basically if you want it excluded from 'quicklinking' then put an _ at start. The problem is people tend to ignore global announcements (as I do :oops: q) so I agree many will be baffled by these..

I think it needs a bit more time to figure out, but surely there must be a good (way of) implementation for these.. Maybe only make words with _ in front to hyperlink and normal words to stay as they are? What d'u think?

Guest Gorskar

well there are tickboxes which will turn off html/bb code/smiles in your post, so why not make one which will turn off quicklinks?

Guest madu

That is all good and we thought of it, but the way it _currently_ works it is not possible. We'll be working on it (especially if Paul has some spare time to sort out phpBB side of it, hehe).

:)

Guest Paul [MVP]

My first priority is to fix quicknames on Mobile MoDaCo (to ensure they don't appear in topic headers / subjects, and that they point to the mobile version), and after that i'll look into making sure that they don't appear inside URLs.

I don't really class the ability to turn them on / off as a huge requirement (I don't think they're that annoying, and the benefits outweigh the disadvantages), but i'll bear it in mind!

P