SPV Registry tweaks

Guest TSCRYPTO

Guest TSCRYPTO

I originally posted this over in the 'help and advice' section. Had plenty of views, but no replies. :?

I have just installed the PHM RegEdit tool and have saved my Registry settings to my card. Now I want to have a bit of a poke around inside the registry and if possible, make some adjustments.

Does anyone know of any tweaks that can be made in the registry to improve the phone's performance, alter the way it displays information or for any other reason?

I'm just curious thats all, but with only limited experience to registry navigation (limited primarily to removing refs to Sub7 a few years ago after the damn thing was inadvertantly installed on my PC), any pointers or info would be appreciated.

Cheers

Guest TSCRYPTO

Have been tweaking away at the MRU settings and now after start-up, I have some useful icons on my home screen :)

Q: When opening a text (.txt) file on my card via All-explorer, by default it opens up in IE. Opening up in IE means that it cannot be edited.

Is there a Registry tweak that will set NotBad as the default programme for .txt files?

I know its just as easy to open NotBad first and then open the file, but I would like NotBad set as the default for these sort of files.

Cheers

Guest Richie M
Come on folks  - 118 views and no replies to the question...

Am I asking the wrong sort of question?

M

No m8, probably just that no-one knows the answer ;)

You could always try contacting NotBad's author :)

Guest TSCRYPTO

Thanks Richie...

Maybe I am just being a wee bit impatient. I am sure there must be an alteration that can be made at registry level to effect the default reader for .txt files.

Someone must know...

:?

M

Guest Richie M

Ok, i've just had a look for you, the reg setting that opens .txt files in IE is in;

HKEY_CLASSESS_ROOTtxtfileShellOpenCommand

The Value in there says ieexplorer.exe so i guess you change that to notbad.exe, but i'm not sure so don't blame me if it goes wrong :)

Guest Richie M

Yeah it does, when you have just Command on screen press Action Button, now it should show white screen, press Soft Key 1 for Values, now it should show Default, press Action Button, now you have Value data: iexplore.exe file:%1

:)

Guest TSCRYPTO

Hey, you're right pal...

Its there - have just made the adjustment...

Hasnt worked - perhaps I need to add in the path as well as the prog name...give me a few more minutes...;-)

Guest TSCRYPTO

Have had a bit of a play with this - the text file doesnt open, however the error message indicates that I am in the right place in the registry for making the adjustment.

Failed to execute Accessoriesnotbad.exe file:Storage Card

My Documentstest.txt

The original registry reference to iexplorer.exe was replaced with that for NotBad, as noted above.

Must just be a matter of syntax or perhaps altering the reference above to refer to NotBad.exe itself, rather than the shortcut in the accessories folder.

To be continued...

Guest TSCRYPTO

Naw, still can't get it, but there must be a way to set NotBad as the default text file reader.

Its gotta be syntax. the original ref to Internet Explorer was an abrreviated version of the apps name: iexplore.exe.

Maybe I need to play around with abbreviations of NotBad...'NotBa'.exe perhaps... :?

One could do this for image files as well, as jpg files when opened directly from the card also open up in IE.

Guest Syvwlch

Perhaps it has something to do with the way NotBad is invoked, or its ability to be handed a file, rather than starting by itself, and then selecting a file with an internal menu?

Should ask the NotBad author, I'd think...

Guest TSCRYPTO

Yeah, its not really that important - of course, txt files can ope opened by opening NotBad itself first.

But still, it would have been nice to have it set as a default for text files :?

I think I was more curious at making the registry alteration, than improving functionality of the phone.

I will continue to have a look around inside the registry just to see what else can be tweaked.

Guest midnight

some of the registry tweaks found so far:

loop ringtones correctly

ringtones on sd card

cleartype fonts (nice and smooth, even tho doesnt do anything to standard nina font, but works for other fonts, and slows own the phone a 'little')

change media player skin

change mru default icons

change number of entries in the call history

lower the keypress timout to less than 1/2 sec

other values which may be possible to change if it where possible to change the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE (they appear to be read only, but, i believe someone is working on this):

change default system font

change cache size (various values alter how much ram is used for the cache size)

change SD Card's default name

and loads of other stuff

Guest geovass

loop ringtones correctly

ringtones on sd card

cleartype fonts (nice and smooth, even tho doesnt do anything to standard nina font, but works for other fonts, and slows own the phone a 'little')

change media player skin

change mru default icons

other values which may be possible to change if it where possible to change the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE (they appear to be read only, but, i believe someone is working on this):

change default system font

change cache size (various values alter how much ram is used for the cache size)

change SD Card's default name

and loads of other stuff

How did you get ringtones on MMC ?

Please let us know !

Fonts ? How ??

Change SD Card's name ? Details..........? :)

Guest geovass

loop ringtones correctly

ringtones on sd card

change media player skin

change mru default icons

Hm... i have succesfully placed my ringtones on my SD, but now when go - Programs - Settings - Sound, "Sounds" tab is not opening....

Any ideas ?

Guest midnight

hehe, oh yeh, forgot about the vibrating phone one ;P thats one of my tweaks aswell hehe

erm, ringtones on sd/mmc card....

navigate to HKCUControlPanelSoundsRingTone0

select Sound key

change the Value data to:

Storage Cardblahblah.wav (replace blahblah with whatever the ringtone is called obviously)

cleartype is:

navigate to to HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftShell

create a DWORD value named "ClearType" (if it doesnt exist already)

value data: 1 to enable ClearType, or

value date: 0 to disable it

the prob is, dunno if this actually works correctly, as nina (the default system font) doesnt seem to support cleartype, maybe someone else can throw some light on this.

you cant really change the system font and SD Card name until someone alows us to hack the read only values in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE (like i said, i heard someone is working on it)

However, you can create your own homescreen and upload your own fonts to the phone and use any font you wish on the homescreen i believe.

anyways, the keys for the system fonts are:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMGDISYSFNT (default system font)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMGWEMenuBarFnt (font for the top info bar)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMGWEMenuPopFnt (font for the menu's)

all we need is someone to make the app to allow you to change the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE registry, and we'll be sorted :wink:

Guest midnight

the sounds tab should open without problems, just that it reverts back to Alarm2 (i think), if all else fails then just change the ringtone back again (strum.mid should work fine) using regedit

Guest geovass
hehe, oh yeh, forgot about the vibrating phone one ;P thats one of my tweaks aswell hehe

erm, ringtones on sd/mmc card....

navigate to HKCUControlPanelSoundsRingTone0  

select Sound key  

change the Value data to:  

Storage Cardblahblah.wav (replace blahblah with whatever the ringtone is called obviously)  

Well, it seems that its working like this, but if you try to go - Programs - Settings - and you Open "Sounds", then you get back the default ones ! Its been automaticaly changed in the registry to ! :)

Guest midnight

yup, it does reset the registry sounds when you access them again via the normal sounds menu, nothing you can do about that i'm afraid

just working on another registry tweak now, i'll do it as a seperate topic in a mo', this one you will like :wink:yup, it does reset the registry sounds when you access them again via the normal sounds menu, nothing you can do about that i'm afraid

just working on another registry tweak now, i'll do it as a seperate topic in a mo', this one you will like :wink: