Problems with Microsoft

Guest yatpeak

Guest yatpeak

Almost everyone on MoDaCo seem to agree that they don't like Microsoft. I'd just like to know, what are some specific things about MS that people have a problem with?

Thanks,

Wyatt

Guest yatpeak

If you had a multi-billion dollar company, wouldn't you buy out competition as well :twisted: ? Especially if it was dangerous competition...

I suppose they do release some fairly buggy software though...

Wyatt

Guest ClintEastman

I think MS do a great job, it's a difficult position to be in, being the biggest makes them a easy target.

Look what they have done for the PC market, DOS, Windows 3.1, Windows NT, Windows 95, Windows 2000 and Windows XP. No one has forced you to use these products as there are alternatives to all of them. The task of supporting these products is immense, as the average PC user is a retard (I know as I used to be the head of a tech support unit).

Saying that I don’t know what was going through there heads when they released Windows ME, Longhorn M4 Alpha is more stable than ME! (Longhorn is going to turn computing on its head). IMHO :wink:

Guest Syvwlch

Just stop to think for a moment what our lives'd be like without MS. Not today... over the last two decades.

MS has dragged us, kicking and screaming in the 21st century, and accelerated the diffusion of computing more than any other two factors combined. I think of Bill Gates as a Robber Baron, or railway tycoon, from the previous century. Yes, he's amoral, yes, he makes ridiculous amounts of money, and stamps out competition with the ruthlessness of a broody T. Rex, BUT he drives the industry, and society, forward faster than more civilized forces ever could.

The one time he almost got too big, the body politic took action, and slowed him down enough with legal action to prevent him becoming a real monster.

I welcomed his arrival in PDAs, and I welcome his arrival in phones. I think he's going to kick some serious butt, and get everybody in high gear, now.

And you know what?

Someday soon, somebody is going to take HIM by speed, and will be the next vilified, hated gadfly that drives us forward against our wills.

Guest ClintEastman
And you know what?

Someday soon, somebody is going to take HIM by speed, and will be the next vilified, hated gadfly that drives us forward against our wills.

I don't think this will happen, and I really hope it doesn’t as I for one don’t want to see a fragmented market, Microsoft don’t have competition any more, but instead have a world obsessed with taking them to court. I really get the impression that MS now are trying to do the best by its customers, things like re-jigging the licensing model for server software to make the whole affair cheaper. Products like Windows 2003 server are so easy to use and admin now it’s a joke, and the Office 2003 family is moving on in leaps and bounds over the competition. And in the next wave OFS (object file system, a Yukon based file system) is going to change the way we use computers forever, and kill the Linux web server market in the process?

The only thing we are missing now is Windows GPE (Windows Gerbils Poohole Edition). :wink:

Sorry i had to.

Guest Syvwlch

I don't think this will happen, and I really hope it doesn’t as I for one don’t want to see a fragmented market, ...

Oh, I agree Clint, on MS's market. I meant someone who did to MS what MS did to IBM. Come out of left field and turn their industry on its head, eventually reducing MS's grip on the market, but from the outside.

About GPE... how many MIPS to *those* have?