my Tanager went DEAD!

Guest dinoalbert

This is an excerpt from the thread 256MB SDCard(RiData) cant...

hmm...

I thought the purpose of the backup battery is just to give enough power to the internal memory so as not to lose the settings/data.

I don't think the backup battery can support the power consumption of the SAP when it's turned on. It's function is just the same as the rechargeable battery inside old PC motherboards to keep CMOS info intact when the PC is off.

Just got curious. Would this backup battery, if removed, reset the settings of SAP(as in PCs) so as it accepts the bootloader from SDCard again therefore reviving it from being dead?

Guest grifter

@neo,

I doubt. The problem with a dead unit is a corrupted bootloader. As in the PC's CMOS, the backup battery only preserves the settings, time, etc. But if you have a corrupt CMOS chip (in the case of PC motherboards), removing the backup battery won't do anything.

• 2 weeks later...

Count me in with the Dead SAPs club.

but i know exactly what i did wrong my phone. i went to Smart wireless center in Galleria and got me a new SAP as replacement unit while my old SAP is being repaired...

baka di ko na balikan yung old unit ko, bagong bago tong binigay sa akin, at smart 1.50 pa ROM....

the possibilities are intriguing.

Guest mlkanapi

@ rodnav,

Ang suerte mo naman...

You did not have any downtime of about 2 weeks plus the replacement unit was a SAP. Bago pa! Hindi pa yung latest ROM or bootloader.

Pray that they decide to let you keep that phone otherwise they'll ( BP ) replace the board of your old phone and add some fingerprint trademarks before giving it back to you! :twisted:

Guest chibako
Count me in with the Dead SAPs club.

but i know exactly what i did wrong my phone. i went to Smart wireless center in Galleria and got me a new SAP as replacement unit while my old SAP is being repaired...  

baka di ko na balikan yung old unit ko, bagong bago tong binigay sa akin, at smart 1.50 pa ROM....

the possibilities are intriguing.

lucky guy! :shock: they gave you a SAP as a replacement! yung ke dino ata Bokia 8250 lang ata yung replacement unit nya eh! tibay nga daw eh! hehehe! :twisted:

what happened to your SAP? trying to downgrade it? hehehe! if i were you, hindi ko na SPAMlik yang hawak kong phone! hehehe! ;)

@*

thanks for the concern guys.

@doc kanapi

the CSR at galleria was very kind, she owned a SAP too. and i'm already a part of the fingerprint club as there were fingerprints in my old phone when i had the call keys replaced

@chibako

nag pa cute lang akong sa CSR, hehe... ooops baka, nagSPAMsa sya dito sa modaco. but seriously they probably checked that i used a lot of data traffic in my account, and they probably had some spare units as these wireless center would be the one servicing their big contract with Meralco. still thinking of the part of not returning the unit. hehe

@grifter,

my tanager died because of an iatrogenic cause... actually it's on another thread po, mister moderator. i just got rid of Smart's 1.6 ROM from it, and as a byproduct, i a also killed the phone.