What do you do when you can't sleep?

Guest Mr_Protozoa

Guest Vector

i go to bed at one time and then go to sleep about 3 hours later :)

I find that putting the television on quietly and just dosing off usually helps ;)

Guest Mr_Protozoa

I ended up watching 'cats eyes' last night/this morning.

bloody puppets!

and jus tdosing off usually helps

I wonder how many people will miss read that?!

Guest ajb3000

I went to bed at 6am this morning expecting to sleep until the afternoon and my mum woke me up at 8:30am telling me I had to drive my sister to work, ggrr...

Guest James

does drink not work? two or three cans before bed works! i have a mate who cant sleep and he has had to in on drugs (from the doctor) to help him get to sleep. not good :)

Guest Mr_Protozoa

I would try that, but my limited budget prohibits it!

Think I'll just read the ProEngineer help docs till I fall asleep!

Guest Mr_Protozoa

I was supposed to be doing mechanica this year at uni - but the module never happened. boo!

So just plain vanilla proE at the moment. Hopefully will be doing more in the next academic year.

Have a look at my website to see what I've been upto, the link is on my sig.

I'm looking for a placement at the moment, do you know of anybody who's looking to emply a hard working product design student?!

Guest James

we have just employed a pro e guy two weeks ago. sorry mate i dont know of anywhere else! be sure to let you know if i hear of anything going...

Guest glynton

I found that when i had problems sleeping.. i looked at my diet. I made several changes...

Stop drinking Coffee

Stop eating sugary things like chocolate

Sweet things are ok... so long as they use natural sugars like Fructose which occurs in fruits. (so eat apples when you get peckish!)

Dont eat within two hours of going to bed

Dont get hooked on sleeping pills...

Make sure you get some kind of physical excersise during the day, so that you dont just feel mentally tried from work. (this really does help).

Make sure that if you do get to sleep, that you dont sleep in till late (really talking about weekends here)... even if you've had a bender the night before. Get into a regular pattern of getting up.

I've recently discovered that my sleep problems come from when I'm asleep... my girlfriend tells me that i stop sleeping for about a minute or so...

Guest Mr_Protozoa

I've already tried some of this,

I'm eating apples like nobodies business, mmm vitimins.....

I've given up coffee since I'm not at uni now.

Think I'm gonna have to do some exersise to tire myself out. There's supposed to be a pool near here.

Cheers everyone!

Guest glynton

Sorry... in my last post i put "I stop sleeping for a minute or so" ... What I meant was that "I stop breathing for a minute or so". She keeps waking me up to tell me.. make sure i'm still alive!:evil:

Guest Mr_Protozoa
I stop sleeping for a minute or so

That's worrying.

Isn't the human brain only supposed to be alright after 2mins of not breathing?

Guest glynton

I know... I had a look on the net about it... and it's called something like 'Sleep Apnoea'... I've also heard something on the news about it. When I get a free minute, I'll go see my GP. Wouldnt suprise me if i've had this for quite a while... I can normally sleep... just always feel tired!

glynton,

Get down to your Doctor mate.

I know someone who suffers from this and he had to wait 6 months to get admitted to the ONLY sleep clinic in Scotland.

davy.

Guest glynton

It's not quite that easy... I've just got back from Uni.. I'll be working solidly (11hrs a day 6 days a week) for the next two weeks, then I'm on holiday for two weeks, then I'm visiting friends in Kent, then I'm going on a hike across Scotland's West Higland Way for 10 days... then I go back to uni... where I have to sign up at a new Doctors because I'm out of the campus 'Catchment Area'... grrr...

Guest Rob.P

I stop breathing every now and again when I'm sleeping. My G/F usually waits for a good 2mins or so before nudging me, most of the time I start breathing again (obviously, or I wouldn't be writing this post) within the minute. My last G/F noticed it as well, so it's been going on for a few years now.

P.S. I think it's about 15mins oxygen starvation for the brain to die proper.

Guest SirGaz

glynton, if you saw Big Brother last night it said that Gos suffers from the same thing and that he stops breathing, but the body naturally wakes you when this happens, a natural defense mechanism. Does this happen to you? What happens if your girlfriend is not there to wake you?