Orange Sim Updates?

Guest Simon Desser

Guest Simon Desser

Anyone know why I would get a Sim update from Orange yesterday afternoon? The only time I've ever had one before, was back in November, when they enabled my GPRS and MMS.

I've not done anything with it yet, as I'm a bit wary, do Orange regularly do updates, or should I be wary :?:

I might ask Orange, when I get a spare couple of hours :)

Guest Paul [MVP]

I had one the other day too, despite having roaming / international calling enabled already, so no idea what it was for...

:shock:

P

Guest Simon Desser

I should be more trusting, but I do like to know WHY before I do anything, so I rang them.

The lady said, "Oh it's to update your software"

"What software?" I asked.

"Hang on a second and I'll find out" she said.

"Have you just changed your talk plan?" she asked,

"Nope" I replied

"Have you just added a text message bundle?" she asked.

"Nope" I replied

"Did you ring Orange at all yesterday?" she asked

"Nope" I said

"I'll have to look into it and ring you back, it'll be later today" she said :?

"]I had one the other day too, despite having roaming / international calling enabled already, so no idea what it was for...

:shock:

P

Sorry to go all AOL on you all but "Me Too!"

I also have roaming / international calling enabled (and have used it recently so I know it works), and I also haven't called Orange requesting any change on my account - so I wonder what it is?

Maybe something to do with the £6 GPRS deal ending??????? :wink:

Or something else entirely????

Start your conspiracy theories now!

Guest Rob.P

My G/F got one a couple of days ago, but I haven't, I told her to phone orange before accepting the Update, they said it was to enable roaming, which would explain why I didn't get one.

Prehaps those of you that have roaming already enabled have a glitch on your details at the O call centre, hence they sent out again, we know they are not the brightest of sparks over at O.

Guest Simon Desser

The girl from Orange rang me back and said that, nothing had been enabled or disabled or amended on my account, and that it was purely a "sim software update", to bring everyone's sims in line with one another :?:

I just got one as well. International roaming is already enabled and I haven't spoken to Orange for over 6 months!

Very strange. Not read it yet..

Ben.

Guest lorddemondon

Apparently everyone's been getting updates if they have not had one within a certain amount of time. The reason orange give is to make sure everyone has the correct version of the sim software and while this doesn't show up as a change to anything on the account, they say that it is routine.

Guest tt5th

I have reliable source tells me the update is to update the list of 'prefered roaming networks'.

ie. when you roam your phone tries to pick up an Orange partner network rather than a competitor. Keeps the revenue in house apprently.......

I have reliable source tells me the update is to update the list of 'prefered roaming networks'.

ie. when you roam your phone tries to pick up an Orange partner network rather than a competitor. Keeps the revenue in house apprently.......

Ah ha! That makes sense, I wondered how my phone decided which network it was going to roam to!

Guest Tosh

Hmmm! Likewise, just received a Sim update.

I'ts not changed anything obvious.

Been with Orange since day 1. Had SPV since launch. Not changed plans and just got back from regular trip abroad having used Roaming, GPRS etc.

Phoned Orange - unable to help as to what update was for!!!!

I guess it really must be to do with the GPRS offer change over.

Tony

Guest HelloDave

Weird - I haven't had a SIM update since November. I've been wary of them ever since O sent one to my PAYG phone which made it store 2 texts for every delivery report instead of one. Damn annoying when you're phone stores 10 messages and you normally have 8 in your inbox! :evil:

Guest tt5th

Fao Tosh - As I said it is to update your preffered roaming networks, a change of talkplan/bundle should not send a SIM update as nothing on the phone is changed, only the billing criteria on the network.

Guest Big Ron - No Longer a Mem

He's a bit busy just now trying to get a handset into every grannies handbag. :shock:

http://smartphone.modaco.com/viewtopic.php?t=68694

An admirable cause but one I feel may be doomed to failure. :cry:

davy.

I think you're probably right. "Thinking outside the box" doesn't fit well with the standard Orange policy of CYA. You MIGHT be right (in which case who cares?) or you might be wrong, in which case you'll fail to achieve a god "Max" score, and won't get next year's bonus. (It's a system cleverly designed to promote timidity.)

But I've been even MORE busy re-installing Windows, and undoing the carnage my 11 year old caused to my system.

Guest davy

Firstly,

Apologies to Simon Desser for hijacking your thread. :oops:

Big Ron,

Last words from me in this thread.

1) In your original post in the other thread you welcomed comments.

WHY? You are clearly not interested in anyone else's opinions.

2) Your post was I believe intended as a business suggestion for O or other Networks.

You clearly think it is a viable suggestion whilst I merely gave my comments that I do not believe it is in fact viable.

Opinions in this Forum, as in the rest of the world, differ greatly.

It is polite to respect the opinions of others even if you strongly disagree with those opinions.

It is not polite to respond

"You MIGHT be right (in which case who cares?)...."

davy.

P.S. Sorry to hear about your Windows problems.

Guest Simon Desser
It is not polite to respond

"You MIGHT be right (in which case who cares?)...."

davy.

Davy, wasn't Ron having a pop at Orange (not you) saying that Orange don't care if you're right, they're more interested in getting a good score/bonus :?:

Guest davy

Yea probably as he always appears to be having a pop at O.

He could however make it clearer or stop having pops at anyone.

People who only seem to care about their own opinions really annoy me (especially after asking for other opinions). :x

davy.

Guest Big Ron - No Longer a Mem
Yea probably as he always appears to be having a pop at O.

He could however make it clearer or stop having pops at anyone.

People who only seem to care about their own opinions really annoy me (especially after asking for other opinions). :x  

davy.

SO, your opinions are the one that matter. I've worked for Orange, remain in contact with my former colleagues, and keep up to date with the gossip. My experience of them isn't restricted to having bought a phone from them and making occasional calls to tech support - it's FROM THE INSIDE. If I'm more critical of the way they work, most of my views would be - and are - confirmed by my former colleagues as "fair comment". Which leaves us wondering where YOU are coming from Davy. Ever-ready to have a pop at ME, ever ready to defend Orange... yet your experience of Orange seems likely to be restricted to trivial and anecdotal evidence. Could it be that you just don't like having your prejudices challenged by someone with a LOT more direct experience of the company? :roll:

Guest martin

My views are similair to that of Bob Cratchit, Orange put food on the table (and beer in my belly) :wink: unlike Big Ron who seems to have left Orange with only the sour grapes. I am also fully aware of the internal issues (as most employees are) and I hope that one day Orange can rediscover part of its former self. In the meantime, as long as Orange keep rolling out MS smartphones then (at least for me) its forgiveable.