HELP!!! Problems after ROM Upgrade

Guest Muragg

Guest Muragg

Hi

I just bought a second-hand SIM-unlocked smartphone and tried to upgrade its software via the SMART software website. Followed exactly the SMART instructions but the software was hanging in the middle of the upgrade. After I disconnected the phone and did a hard reset, the phone does not load the smartphone software anymore and hangs in the "rainbow mode" stating "Canary MV v0.98". :evil:

Any suggestions?

Tx

Peter

Guest mar9118

Hello Peter,

Nothing to worry, just run the ROM update again this time in the Bootloader (Canary Screen) or Rainbow screen.

Turn on the phone then it will just go to the rainbow screen then plug the USB connection and run the SAP.exe file it should work :wink:

Best regards,

Guest smartrey
Hello Peter,

Nothing to worry, just run the ROM update again this time in the Bootloader (Canary Screen) or Rainbow screen.

Turn on the phone then it will just go to the rainbow screen then plug the USB connection and run the SAP.exe file it should work  :wink:  

Best regards,

Same problem with above. I noticed that the sync connection dosn't run this time, actually we will know if it is connected because the sync monitor in pc will color in green "connected". How to continue installing?

Guest mar9118

You don't need to get connected to activesync to do the update it will work if you plug the USB connector even if the screen is in the bootloader screen...just make sure the words "serial" in the lower left screen change to "USB" and you phone is detected by your USB port....try it, I have done it twice...when I first upgrade to 1.3.7.8 and now again when I upgrade to 1.50.28....but just a word of advise if you have SIM unlock your phone and want it to remain unlock don't apply this upgrade it will lock your phone again :cry:

Guest smartrey

...just make sure the words "serial" in the lower left screen change to "USB" and you phone is detected by your USB port....

How will I change it to USB???

Guest rodnav

check the main forum, they can unlock bootloader 1.04

my problem is the internet connection, i want to able to connect to the internet again using my phone through my pc. they removed it on the new upgrade!!!!!!!!!

Guest mar9118

Yes, totoo your phone will get locked again once you upgrade to the latest ROM version of Smart but of course you can always downgrade again and go over the long process of even having to change bootloader which might not be easy coz you have to use WINHEX or you have to have another phone with bootloader version 0.98 or lower and do a bootloader backup.

Another thing is this update will not ask for any unlocking code once a non-Smart SIM is inserted it will just indicate "Invalid SIM" so even if you have previously retrieve your NCK code you cannot use it.

Seems there are some suggestions on how to go around it in the main forum but not so clear.

So if you want your phone to stay unlock and does not see any need to upgrade...stay with version 1.3.7.8 :wink:

Guest Muragg

Mar

Thanks for your help. Unfortunately, the phone still hangs in teh rainbow mode. When I run the SAP.exe file, the program returns the error message :"ERROR 116: Smartphone identification error". I then disconnect the phone, wait a few seconds, switch it on again but return to the bootloader mode.

Any ideas?

Tx

Peter

Guest mar9118

Hi Peter,

Before applying the update did you happened to installed a non-Smart ROM update like the Orange Update? If so that is the problem...you will have to update you ROM first using the Smart ROM version 1.3.7.8 in the canary screen then make a hard reset and after making sure everything is OK then you can apply the new Smart ROM version 1.5.0.28 update also via the canary screen as the activesync approach seems to have some problem.

Try it and let me know if it works...just to remind you that your SAP will be SIM lock to Smart again after the latest ROM update in case you have SIM unlocked it :wink:

Guest tutut17

@Muragg- i had the same problem like yours, my unloked SAP crashed and would not boot after the upgrade. i brought it this morning to 'Brightpoint', they made me wait for just one hour and its alive again. if you plan on going to Brightpoint, dont forget your OR.

Guest tutut17

@Muragg- Brightpoint--- 4th flr Gateway 2000 Bldg, 174 G. Araneta Ave QC, its just past Funeraria PAZ if you came from Quezon Ave, pero opposite side ng PAZ. Tel#-4168168