TV Out

Guest amo

I have a GeForce 4 Ti 4200 which has a tv out but the only problem is that my tv doesnt have a svideo or composite port but has a couple of scart sockets.

Is there any way of getting the tv out function to work? A special cable or converter or something???

Buying a new tv isnt really an option as the tv i have in my bedroom is only a couple of years old and is a 32" widescreen thingy.

Appreciate any help, thanks all!

Guest awarner [MVP]

Strange ? does for me

Here's the info

SVideo - SCART cable 10 metre £9.99

(£8.50 ex VAT)

Their phone number is 0845 1232560

Hope this helps

Guest HelloDave

I connect my PC to my TV using an S-Video to SCART cable (not this particular one) and it works fine. Don't forget though that the cable is just what it says- it won't carry audio unless it specifically says so. That's not a problem for me, becuase i've got my sound card plugged into my Hi Fi with a seperate cable anyway, but it depends what you're going to be using the TV out for. You can get S-Video to SCART cable kits with audio from PC World for £30, so I'd guess they'd be cheaper somewhere online.

Another thing you might want (not essential, but very useful) is an app called TV Tool (www.tvtool.de) - it lets you control your TV output much more easily than your graphics driver, and lets you to change things like the amount of screen space the TV out uses (the NVidia driver leaves black bars round the screen edges by default, but TV Tool lets you turn them off to use the full screen for movies). There's a free demo with a 15 minute timeout, and it's €10 for the full version.

Guest midnight

my nvidia drivers dont leave a black border, its full screen for me, that possibly depends on the tv :wink:

cant say if svid to scart is any good tho i just have straight svid

Guest HelloDave

£2.49's pretty good for that adaptor - Maplin want £12.99! Of course if you already own a games console you've probably got one already.

The one that Casper pointed out is better than standard games console ones as it seems to have an input for svideo and its also switchable from input to output so tvs without audio out (like mine) can have audio out fumctionality added

Guest HelloDave
tvs without audio out (like mine) can have audio out fumctionality added

Assuming that your TV's SCART socket is two-way; I think most are input only. It makes sense; how often are you going to want to take a video signal out of your TV! An audio output on the other hand would make sense, but manufacturers don't seem to realise that, so I have to take audio from my VCR which is a pain if you want to watch one channel and record another! :)

Guest casper508
I have a GeForce 4 Ti 4200 which has a tv out but the only problem is that my tv doesnt have a svideo or composite port but has a couple of scart sockets .

Most probably theres one input and one output but do check to be sure.

So this thing wont add audio out funtionality from my scart port???

If the above is true (one input one output) then u can easily add audio out functionality by using the converter from my last post.

But even if it isnt true, you can still have audio out capability provided you have a VCR and most VCRs have seperate input/output SCART ports. Kinda hassle but possible.

Cas