3 charge for recieving SMS when roaming??

Guest ajb3000

Guest Anonymous

"While abroad", you're roaming: using another network. That requires that the message is sent to (say) Orange UK, who then pass it to whoever you're using while abroad. Orange don't charge for te second leg of the journey - but they DO pass on the charge levied by the second network. It's not (by any means!) the ONLY potential additional charge incurred when roaming. If you go to Australia, set up a "roaming" agreement and people phone you (not realising that you're away) then YOU are responsible for the difference in the price of a call to the UK and a call to Australia... and that can be a BIG difference! It's also inadvisable to leave your answering service switched on (ring 150 and get them to disable it - ask to switch to "Everyphone" and get calls diverted to your landline number) Your girlfriend calls you in Australia... and your phone is switched off. The call is diverted BACK to the UK and stored here. You switch on, pick up your calls... and when the next bill arrives, you'd better have a doctor in attendance. YOU are paying for the difference in the UK-UK/UK-Aus price, PLUS the transfer of the call back to the UK, PLUS the cost of an international call from Australia to hear the message. That can work out molto expensive. One reason why Orange demands a credit check before authorising roaming!

Guest ajb3000

I know all about being charged for recieving calls while roaming etc. But no other UK network charges for recieving SMS while abroad. They all say some networks may charge an administration fee for it, but I've used my phone in over 15 different countries (both inside and out of the EU) and never been charged a penny for recieving an SMS. 3 are charging for every SMS you recieving while roaming on any network!!

Guest Coolboy1982

normally it depended on the networks you roamed in!

for gsm there have always been a few exceptions of US

and Russian networks that would charge your operator

for receiving messages, who then charged you, and there

is denmark where it is possible to be charged for even attempting

any type of calll that is not answered (Call-attempt-charging).

However these were just exceptions, so if 3 do this no matter

where you go roaming, it is just their choice to make some

extra money, which they desperatly need due to the high UMTS

licence costs.

Guest spacemonkey

When I was roaming with Orange last year I'm SURE they were charging for me to receive SMSs as part of the standard roaming costs. This may have changed but I'd be surprised.

For something as basic as SMS I can't see 3 doing anything majorly different from the rest of the networks.

Guest Coolboy1982
When I was roaming with Orange last year I'm SURE they were charging for me to receive SMSs as part of the standard roaming costs.  This may have changed but I'd be surprised.

For something as basic as SMS I can't see 3 doing anything majorly different from the rest of the networks.

I have been roaming with my orange phone and my german contract phone

in lots of European countries and was never charged for receiving sms (I am

stingy and check every bill closely).

And I read the matters I quoted above on official info pages of both orange

and vodafone (Germany).

Where did you roam when you were charged?

Are you sure it wasn't for sending sms?

Guest Big Ron - No Longer a Mem

It varies from "partner network" to "partner network". If you ring O ahead of time on any 15X number (150 is probably most appropriate, but they can all handle it) they can access the "Scholar" database from their terminal, tell you who they're partnered with anywhere in the world, AND all the charge details, including charges for SMS (and where/if there are any.) It's a wise thing to do anyway, since not all networks offer the same range of services. I recall a girl who rang to find out how to connect to GPRS and SMS in Austria - sending pictures home was the reason she'd BOUGHT the phone. Turned out none of Orange's partners in Austria do SMS. Bummer...

Guest Coolboy1982
I wasn't even charged for recieving SMS in russia!!

well, as I said, some networks in Russia and US!

I think there is 20-50 little network in both of these countries...

Guest Coolboy1982
It varies from "partner network" to "partner network". If you ring O ahead of time on any 15X number (150 is probably most appropriate, but they can all handle it) they can access the "Scholar" database from their terminal, tell you who they're partnered with anywhere in the world, AND all the charge details, including charges for SMS (and where/if there are any.) It's a wise thing to do anyway, since not all networks offer the same range of services. I recall a girl who rang to find out how to connect to GPRS and SMS in Austria - sending pictures home was the reason she'd BOUGHT the phone. Turned out none of Orange's partners in Austria do SMS. Bummer...

Yep, and I recall that connex in Romania lets you send international messages and charges you, but they are never delivered...

As for calling up orange though:

You can find out most details about roaming partner networks on:

http://www.orange.co.uk/cgi-bin/internatio...t.pl?tariff=pgt