O2 to launch SmartPhone 2003, Q4 2003

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul [MVP]

O2 have sent out an e-mail notifying all customers who registered to receive information about the upcoming Smartphone device based on MS Smartphone software about a planned delay:

"Dear Customer,

Thank you for registering at myo2smartphone.com. We would like to update you that we will not be launching the O2 smartphone with the Microsoft Smartphone 2002 operating system. Instead we will be launching the Smartphone 2003 version around the fourth quarter of this year. Thank you for your continuous support.

Sincerely,

O2 Devices and Applications Team"

This could provide another operator, as well as T-Mobile, to compete with Orange for SmartPhone sales in the UK...

P

Source: Geekzone

Guest spacemonkey

Probably a good move by O2. I am very thankful that Orange took the bold move of getting us these devices up front, but realistically when more full featured (inbuilt camera/bluetooth) devices with faster processors come out at the end of the year Tanager and SPV will become very obsolete.

Where as the handsets we get end of 2003 will not be much different feature wise from what we see in 2004, so those phones from a telco point of view should be a lot more saleable.

The good news of course is that my contract is up in december :) so I'll have a number of options available.

• 2 months later...
Guest AngelOfRage

i dont surpose theres any news of Vodafone bringing out a Smartphone?

i might ask them when i enquire about my contract renewal.

which looks the best Smartphone coming out then?

Very good move by O2, competition is good.

Personally I'm not too bothered about the new smartphone, I could not care less about bluetooth (I would never use a phone as my modem due to excessive gprs data costs) and used the in-built camera on my GX10 about 20 times in a year so I miss neither on my E100.

The E100 downloads my e-mails, plays wma files and has some very good games, that's enough for me until a better looking smartphone model appears, and I have yet to see one.

I hardly think the lack of bluetooth which is one of the most overhyped technologies in years and the omission of a gimmicky built in camera can make the E100 obsolete.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.