SPV NO GOOD

Guest JOB

Sorry people but after trying my best to like it, I have come to the conclusion that the SPV is a steaming pile of poo.

It is quite simply the most unreliable, slow annoying phone I have ever owned. It locks up far to often, the menu's are painfully slow, you still can't close things down (I really do not know what planet Microshite are on with this feature) the memory manager which is supposed to close down programs as the memory fills up always leaves you with a sluggish phone.

The media player is chronic, won't play vbr mp3 or any mp3 with odd character in name, it just locks up, when a call comes in it doesn't restart after finishing.

The camera is verrrry slow, too slow in fact to be of much use in the real world.

ATM mine refuse to boot at all, it does this for a week or 2 every few months, them recovers.

I would NEVER-EVER rely on this phone, if I was going somewhere where I might need one in an emergency, the SPV would NOT be used.

I lent mine to my mother, who managed to put it into RADIO-OFF mode, she and ten people helping on the train couldn't switch it back.

There is no prompt help after setting a feature which makes the phone completely unusable, this is incompetence of the highest order from Microshite.

I managed to set it into this mode myself by accident and had to troll the manual on how to fix it.

It is always going NO-SERVICE, while my trusty 7650 sits all day logged in.

When I got my 7650 the difference was immense, evrything about it is superior, anyone who disaggre's just hasn't compared the 2.

I HATE THE FREKIN THING, it sits unused in drawer, it really does expose Microshites utter incompetence in software.

Guest James

Well i am sorry to hear you are having problem with your (no longer used) SPV. all i can say it that %50 of people were starting to think the same as you before discovering this site...... have a look around the site and you may even start to come to middle ground in your thinking.

I bet you have not seen half the things the SPV can do......

Guest MoRFLeZ

Different strokes for different folks.

While the SPV might be more difficult to master than a measly Nokia, it blows every other phone away IMHO.

Granted it isn't a phone for "your mother" - but for the right person, it rocks royal tush.

Guest Matt Kirby

I admit (as most people here would) that the SPV is not perfect and does have problems. But it is (at the moment) one of the most advanced phones on the market. All of the points that you made concern features that most phones don’t come anywhere near to having, and many of your issues are resolvable (I’m not going to bother to go through each one for you though). The SPV isn’t as easy to use as many phones, but then other phones can’t do anywhere near as much – it’s all a learning curve.

The SPV isn’t for everyone – if you want a simple no frills phone use a Nokia.

(And I have compared the two, and for my money the SPV wins hands down).

Thanks for the non-flamin replies.

But I will comment that the 'it does everything' reply is a bit overstated.

My 7650 does everything the SPV does except have an MMC slot and play stereo MP3.

It has a video record function as well, which works very quicky, I shudder to think how slow the SPV would be in a video recording mode.

Download 1 little app (webviewer) and you have THE fastest and most useful webrowser on ANY phone, surfing using webviewer is a quantum leap from IE on the SPV, and it's only 46kb.

Yes the SPV is a more nerdy phone, but they don't market it as such, it doesn't say in the advertising (flexible but a pain in the @ss to use).

Yes it may get better, yes if you want an easy to use, fast reliable phone, buy a Nokia.

But what kind of a recommendation is that?

IT'S CRAP BUT IT CAN ONLY GET BETTER!

IF YOU WANTED A PHONE THAT WORKED, BUY SOMEONE ELSES!! :)

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

Not quite sure what the point of this post is. You'll have a job convincing the majority of users here that the SPV is no good. :)

Either way, each to their own. My phone is fine, no hangups, crashes, slowdowns or errors. The memory management in WinCE is unique to say the least, however i've never had any problems with it...

So, sorry you didn't get on with the phone, enjoy the nokia ;)

Guest Crispy
... all i can say it that %50 of people were starting to think the same as you before discovering this site...

As a relatively new SPV user I can say that he is absolutely right! ... If I hadn’t picked up all the "words o wisdom" here I wouldn’t have gotten my phone to half the things its capable of! ... Just look at the Skins you can around here! ... They look so damn nice that its almost astonishing!

And as you say yourself ... the SPV is a nerdy phone which has been designed to be operated by, tada!: Nerds! ... When I was buying my SPV second-hand I came across many different reasons as to why they were selling it ... but far the most common one was that "Its to complicated!"

Anyway, I’m a nerd so therefore inconvincible that a 7650 could outperform the SPV … Nice try thou .. :wink:

Personally, I smell a troll on the loose.

Most people come here to ask for help, or to offer help, but for someone to join simply to slate the phone serves no real purpose.

Sorry you've not had a good experience with your phone, but TBH, mine now performs as well (if not better) than my Nokia's ever did. Even gets a *better* signal in my flat than my Nokias - with them, it was near impossible to even send a text message from indoors, nevermind hold a conversation. My SPV performs all that I want it to well.

And as for the problem you had with the "Radio" function, I'm sorry but your complaint there is the same as with the functionality of any piece of electrical equipment when you haven't read the manual. I've known people press the A/V button on their TV remotes by accident and wonder where the picture went....

Hax

No I'm not trolling.

I bought the SPV cos it appeared to have everything, mainly the MMC slot was the clincher and it looks so much better than the Nokia 3650.

It's a lovely bit of hardware spoilt by the OS.

Could anyone tell me exactly what the SPV outperforms the 7650 at? :roll:

Guest Crispy
Could anyone tell me exactly what the SPV outperforms the 7650 at? :roll:

After 5 sec of quickgoogling, so correct me if I'm wrong:

===SPV Pros===

- Screen size

- Screen color depth (4bit vs 16bit)

- Memory!

- Like you said ... SD/MM card slot!

- CPU speed ...

- Price

- OS (Personally I think Symbian suxx, but some people think otherwise)

- 7650 only runs JAVA code ... The SPV manages C++ and soon C#.

- Loads of extra software!

- Tri-band phone (vs Dual)

===7650 Pros===

- Bluetooth

- Build-in camera (vs clip-on)

- Fold-out keypad (Some people might consider that fancy)

One of the best "features" of the SPV is the ability for *anyone* to write an application to run on the phone. Now I know that people can also write Java applets for other phones, but I shudder to think how slow some of those applications would run. For example, we have a DivX movie player available, and coupled with a large enough SD or MMC card, you have the ability to watch a whole movie should you desire - nice for those long train journey's, but not so useful if you drive most places ;o)

Also, I don't think that any phone out there comes anywhere near close when it comes to synchronisnig with Outlook (this is the main reason for why I got the phone).

As for the 7650, I've not had any first-hand experience of it, but I have friends who have had them and they've had as much trouble as others have had with their SPV's - one friend-of-a-friend is now on his fourth unit and really wishes he'd got a different phone. On the other hand (like iwth the SPV) there are large numbers of people who have no issues with the phone....

Horses for courses really. The SPV can take a bit more effort to learn, but in the long run (and with a community like this one here at MoDaCo to help) it's worth the effort.

Have a read through some of the forums here - especially the "articles" one and you may find the answers to many of the problems that you are experiencing.

Most of the issues have been resolved in the first UK update, but there are still some hanging around, but with another update on the horizon (version 1.50) things can only get better.

Also, towards the end of the year, the SPV2 (apparently with integrated camera and blue tooth) is hopefully going to be released and is likely to be running the newer version of the Smartphone OS(Ozone/2003/whatever it is to be called). There is the possibility that at that point, Orange will release another update for the existing SPV's and E100's (SPVx) that will also bring them up to the newer version of the OS. At this point, I would hope that most if not all of the bugs have been ironed out completely.

Hax

===7650 Pros===

- Fold-out keypad (Some people might consider that fancy)

SPV now has a (couple of?) rollup QWERTY keyboard(s) available 8)

Hax

HMMMM Has anyone one here actually used a 7650?

For speed it woops the ass of the SPV

Games? there are 10x more games for the series 60 Nokias, though I admit the very best SPV games are better, but the one's you actually play are equal.

Sounds?

The Nokia plays midi/wav, what more could you want?

Video?

There are 3 cheap 3rd party apps, Oplayo being one, 60kb in size, video streaming, looks better than the video on the SPV at GPRS speeds.

My phone has had the update, and is still awful to use. It is simply badly coded, how do Nokia get a far faster GUI with a slower processor running similair apps?

I can pick up my phone and take a pic in 2 secs, try that on your SPV even if the camera is allready attached.

Guest James
HMMMM Has anyone one here actually used a 7650?

For speed it woops the ass of the SPV

Games? there are 10x more games for the series 60 Nokias, though  I admit the very best SPV games are better, but the one's you actually play are equal.

Sounds?

Video?

There are 3 cheap 3rd party apps, Oplayo being one, 60kb in size, video streaming, looks better than the video on the SPV at GPRS speeds.

My phone has had the update, and is still awful to use. It is simply badly coded, how do Nokia get a far faster GUI with a slower processor running similair apps?

I can pick up my phone and take a pic in 2 secs, try that on your SPV even if the camera is allready attached.

GameBoy emulator

SNES Emulator

NES Emulator

PacMan

SPV Invaders

ALL FREE!!!!!

SPV can play,:_

Sound: WMA, WAV, MIDI, MP3

Vidoeo: WMV, AVI (DivX), MPEG (entire Movies with sound!) just encode your DVDS onto a PC, make them smaller and put them on your storage card!

OK,OK the camera is a bit slow!!! but that really does not bother me!

How about MP3/WMA

Video?

Do any of these allow you to view movies? The out-of-the-box Windows Media Player allows you to play WMV encoded files, whilst other *FREE* application allow you to play DIVX envoded movies. Fantastic! All you need to do is spend a bit of time on your PC encoding the film first and bingo, you have a whole Hollywood blockbuster movie in around 90 Megs (IIRC) and without the cost and general unreliability of Streamed media - oh and the quality of these will beat streamed media hands down as there you are ultimately limited by the bandwidth of your GPRS connection.

I would be very surprised if the Nokia GUI is as flexible as the SPV's as anyone can write a plugin to be used from the homescreen which can be very highly customised - just have a look for the X-Box theme on here to get an idea of what is possible - fantastic! And not just from a graphical perspective, but also from a functionality perspective too. Feel free to correct me here though if the Nokia does allow you to customise your phone to this extent.

Granted, the SPV camera is slow when it comes to taking pictures - this is because it is limited by a lowly serial conncetion between the phone and the camera. However, I have heard (and read in several places on the web) that the quality of the photo from the SPV is better than those of the 7650. Again, as you have both, please feel free to correct me - or even better, post examples of photos of the same object in the same lighting on here for the rest of us to see :)

Hax

Guest Matt Kirby

This sounds like it's going to degenerate into one of those arguments that could run and run (similar to the endless “PC vs. Mac” conversations we’ve all had).

The majority of the users of this board love the SPV; JOB thinks it sucks, and that the Nokia 7650 is better.

There are things that the SPV does better, there are other things that the 7650 does better, and there is a lot that is down to personal choice.

Lets leave it at that; otherwise we’ll start a very boring flame war.

I’m checking out of this one….

Guest Crispy
This sounds like it's going to degenerate into one of those arguments that could run and run (similar to the endless “PC vs. Mac” conversations we’ve all had)
Educate yourself :) :

http://rochess.net/Apple_Switch_Parody_DivX.avi

Lets leave it at that; otherwise we’ll start a very boring flame war.

Agreed! ... Somebody close this threat before it gets nasty ...

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

No flame, but to compare the built in 7650 camera speed with the extrenal SPV camera is a little harsh imho.

The built in camera in the 7250 is no better than the built in camera on the Mio...

OK there isn't much point in trying to slag off the phone on a forum full of people who like it.

I loved it when I first got it, stuck in a 128mb card playing mp3's ,streaming video, lovely screen, nice size.

I had been warned of it's bugs, but I persevered, then I borrowed a friends 7650, heavier, no card slot no mp3, but daily use was a 500% improvement, take it to parties, record silly video clips, use the night function on the camera(which works very well).

Give me the SPV with built in camera and the Symbian OS and I'm a happy man.

Oh they have it's the Siemens SX1 :) (MY NEXT ONE)