unlocking e100

Guest tomdbomb61

OK if the update is completing sucessfully, and the phone will NOT boot, and you have tried it on another pc, here are my thoughts.

1: first time you ran the update, did you decide you knew better, thinking it had hung/frozen, and thought I'll start again?

2: first time you ran the update, did you follow the final screen, about removing from cradle, removing batter for 30 secs then rebooting?

3: when you are in the 3 color screen what version is listed on the top line, and when in the cradle, what does it say on the bottom left?

Will

Guest tomdbomb61

1.st) it hung on the orange screen for bout 5 mins, so i took the battery out and tried turnin it on agen same thing.,

2nd) yes i followed the instructions until it told me to remove the phone from the cradle.

3rd) when in the canaray screen it says v0.98. and when in the usb cradle it says usb.

? ? ? ?

tom

1: that's where it went wrong, it says the phone may take a while to boot first time...

removing it then, will likely corrupt the ipsm rom image.. (which the phone is probably writing/converting.

Do you have a warranty?

Will

Guest tomdbomb61

yeh i only had it 2 days, gettin a new one form orange tomoro, told them it wudnt turn on first time i tried .

is it worth another go tomoro when i get my new one?

thanks tom

OK I had a thought, it's possible it might just be the bootloader? try restoring the bootloader from the other phone using usbterm.

Will

Guest tomdbomb61

hey got my replacement e100 from orange today

do we think its worth giving the orange update another go?

would it appear to have been my fault for the problme before??

thanks tom

Guest awarner [MVP]

If you don't feel confident don't do it.

I have just done the process again (from Canary screen) and no problems,

I just did it to check the bootloader version from www.monolithix.org for another post. :)

Guest tomdbomb61

just to check i remember doing the update first time on the e100 yesterday it held on the orange screen 4 a while then went onto a white screen, thats when i took the battery out and turned it back on.

would that suggest the process worked and it was my fault?

tom :oops: :oops:

Guest martin
just to check i remember doing the update first time on the e100 yesterday it held on the orange screen 4 a while then went onto a white screen, thats when i took the battery out and turned it back on.  

would that suggest the process worked and it was my fault?

I would recommend that when doing a software change you make sure you have a charged battery as you don't want the battery to fail during a phone rebuild and you are probably right about pulling the battery off too early :oops: The best idea is to leave the phone to boot for at least 5 minutes (its takes a while after a software upgrade).

A clean pair of underpants on standby is also a good idea :)

Guest awarner [MVP]

If the screen was white with nothing else displayed, it was in the process of writing the update

disrupting this will cause major problems.

You should only remove the phone from the cradle and remove the battery only when prompted to.

As for stars it relates to your postings and the colour relates to your rank i.e gold= moderator

Guest tomdbomb61

ok went through the proceedure very slowly.

took the phone out of the cradle, booted it up, it booted up very quickly , as quick as normal which seemed strange.

i left it for a few mins on the homescreen

then went to use it and it crashed. left it for a further 10 mins, still wasnt responding. ook battery out rebooted, and its stuck on the sunset creen again,

great fun!!! another useless e100!!! tally record 2!

tom

Guest awarner [MVP]

Something must have been disrupted, but at least you have managed to downgrade :)

If you are stuck on the sunset screen and you have left it on the screen for 5+ minutes (by the clock)

Try a Hard Reset (also see what version of bootloader is shown should be

0.98 if you used the update from mono's site)

Reboot the PC, go back to the canary screen and re-run the update.

Also when you say you took the phone out of the cradle you DID take the battery out and left it out for 30 seconds?

as you made no mention this, you have to do this before rebooting the phone (the finished update screen does say this)

Guest tomdbomb61

yes i did take the battery out,

i tried to run the update again after and again it sed update from rom version : blank . hummm

wot a hastle! orange rnt gona b too happy if i ring them up again and say excuse me uve sent me another dodgy fone!!

wot to b done???? seems as though im in a dead end situation!

tom

Guest awarner [MVP]
i tried to run the update again after and again it sed update from rom version : blank . hummm

I have had the same displayed when I was upgradingdowngrading today

Still rebooted the PC and re-ran the update from the canary screen after I thought it had failed.

(I did it a few times to test it for another post) fun way of checking just to check a bootloader version :)

Guest awarner [MVP]

If you were local to me I'd suggest you pop round and I'll run it on my PC easier to see what's happening than

by posting. Sorry but apart from redoing everything I have already suggested there is nothing else unless you

know how to use winhex or USBterm more oinfo in the Articles anf FAQ section on this.

Guest tomdbomb61

thats ok mate u bin a great help. ill give it a few more goes n failin that ill ring up orange see wot they can do 4 me.

cheers tom

Guest martin
yeh but its no fun for me ive got a useless spv e100!!!! lol  

wot am i gona do !

Like Awarner said

Hard reset the SPV and leave for 5 minutes and if that dont work then try and re-run the Software Download from the canary screen.

If you keep trying you should get it working.

Do you have the SD card inserted because I would do the upgrade without it.