Photo

Hardware Idea for free SPV wireless internet at home etc.

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Joff

Joff

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
Bluetooth is certainly the way to go.

There is also an alternative called ZigBee.
It offers lower data rates (250kb/s max.) but is better suited for low power. Range is expected to be 30m in a home environment. 250kb/s should be enough for decent browsing :wink:
But I still think BT is a better option when it eventually hits low £ marks :wink:

badger2512

badger2512

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
:exclaim: hey i just wanted to let u guys know that u cayn buy bluetooth dongles for ur pc which give u 30m for £14.04.if u would like more info send me a pm. 8)

Pondrew

Pondrew

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,404 posts
  • Devices:MDA Vario II

:exclaim: hey i just wanted  to let u guys know that u cayn buy bluetooth dongles for ur pc which give u 30m for £14.04.if u would like more info send me  a pm.  8)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's great. Shame Smartphones bluetooth range only extends to 10 metres, huh. :D

Confused Stu

Confused Stu

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • Interests:Wife, kids, bike and phone. Sometimes even in that order!<br /><br />Seem to spend all my time at work rowing uphill and never getting there. Beyond that, haven't found time to get a life yet so can't think of anything interesting to say!
  • Devices:HD2
Good point Pondrew, but when my shiny C500 replaced my battered and re-spayed Canary I had a dilemma: Whether to buy the bluetooth adapter with 10m range for £20, or to buy the adapter with "150m" range for £40? :roll:

In the end, I went for the £40 one. Why? Not because I thought the extra range would work, but because it was a slinky card that went into the side of the laptop showing only a cool, flashing blue light and pull out, fold up aeriel rather than a boring dongle! :twisted:

What's the point in having the coolest phones in the world doing the coolest things if the accesories look bad? 8)

Current Devices: Leo, ZTE Blade, StrTrk, Kaiser, Typhoon
Previous devices: Raphael, Hermes, Canary

badger2512

badger2512

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
:exclaim:

That's great. Shame Smartphones bluetooth range only extends to 10 metres, huh. 

it doesn't matter what thr phones range is the dongle will pick it up in a 30M diametre

furby

furby

MoDaCo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts
  • Devices:iPhone
  • Twitter:@furby

:exclaim:

it doesn't matter what thr phones range is the dongle will pick it up in a 30M diametre

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was wondering about this, I have a bluetooth adapter which supposedly has a range of 100m HERE , does this mean as long as i'm within 100m I can sync? Becasue I don't think I can get 10m away :?:

edit/ if I read it properly I would have seen

devices enabled with Bluetooth v1.1

Bah

Edited by Furby™, 12 January 2005 - 08:35 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users