Orange to fix GPRS by next week!!??

Guest drblow

Guest drblow

I ran out of humour last week, after being told it would all be fixed. I got the old 'action to tech support' thing. They took 6 days to come back & say 'switch phone off-on'.

Is that for real?! I'm going to keep this complaint going with O for as long as it takes. They are really taking the Proverbial now. As soon as the promo deal ended, gprs should have been sorted. We are paying for it! Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest morpheus2702

Pagemakers, I wasn't taking the piss - heat affects the proliferation of radio waves, so however unlikely maybe they are playing a part in this.

You may be riled but keep things in perspective!

Guest drblow
"]I think pagemakers got a result in the end?

P

What result??

I'm seriously hacked off about this GPRS thing now. For the last 2 weeks I have been able to connect about 1 out of 20 attempts. Even that, I will get maybe 3 or 4 pages & then disconnected.

I decided that after the promo deal ended it was only fair for me to start to take this problem up with Orange. They should never have removed the promo deal if GPRS was not a fully functioning, non-problematic service. I have started a complaint with CS, was told that a team leader would contact me fro 3 days in a row, with no results. In the end I had to phone them & give hell to the team leader I finally did speak to - as the GPRS problem has now been compounded by what I see as a total lack of consistency in CS responses to the GPRS issue, the fact that tech support will take 6 days to come back with advice which any monkey could get from this forum - and the fact that the Orange CS dept seems to just be fobbing me off with 'oh yeah, someone will get back to you'.

I am emailing the CS dept with some serious complaints about the standard of their service regarding this GPRS problem, the fact that I am paying for a service which is clearly not up to scratch, & the fact that I seem to be totally unable to speak to anyone at Orange who is capable of sorting the problem out!!

I'm ranting!! Actually, I'm bl**dy raging!!

:evil: :evil:

Guest Pagemakers

Sadly its been as bad today as it ever has been and all I did was to visit friends in Portsmouth.

The end of the line is growing ever closer unless this is permanently sorted.

Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest drblow

m8! I SO know where you're coming from!

I'm not even really sure I want a replacement handset, if they even offer me one - why should that fix the problem & it'll just mean hours of restoring stuff!

It's crap coz I really like having internet access on my phone, it's one of the main reasons I bought it - so I don't want to just cancel my gprs subscription - I just want it to work like it's supposed to, is that so much to ask??!!

I hear about people on here all the time using their spv as a passthru connection to the internet for their PC. If I even tried that, it would probably take all night to access my home page!

Guest drblow

I just don't understand what's going on at Orange!!

After the guy telling me how gprs was going to be fixed by the end of the week (see above) I ran out of patience with them.

I started a comlaint about the whole GPRS 'dialling...' thing on 1st August. I know that I'm not the only one with this problem, but I really did think that once the promo gprs deal was over that meant that they were confident in the fact that the system would work - if anything, my gprs has been worse since I started paying more for it!! So I decided I have had enough of just complaining on MoDaCo about it - I wanted to see what response Orange had to this problem. After all, any regular MoDaCo-ist will be aware that the gprs problems have been unresolved from day 1.

After a week (8th Aug) I phones up to see where's my 72 hour call back from ...ahem... "technical' support. I discovered that the request for an action had not been put through!! So I asked for a second action request be sent & the girl says 'yes, it will take up to 72 hours...' - I woke up for long enough to say 'I know that!'.

On 13th Aug, I phones up to see where's my 72 hour call back - and was told that tech support had not got back yet. I asked to speak to a team leader (see if someone with a bit more responsibility might get some action going). Of course, there was noone available & I would get a call back that day.

I phones back at 10pm that night to see where's me call back from the TL - and was told that the TL was still busy & would definately call me in the morning. You can see the pattern emerging can't you??

So, on 14th Aug, at 1pm, I phones up to see 'WHERE IS MY F'ING CALL BACK FROM THE F'ING TEAM LEADER'! Sorry - but I was/am livid about this! Eventually someone located the TL, who came on to say that tech support had replied this morning to say that I should power on/off my phone & see if that fixes the gprs!! I was quite literally speechless at this reply - 2 weeks to come back with that!!?? I told the TL that not only was that a rubbish response from so called 'tech support', but I had explained to the first person I spoke to (1st Aug) that I have tried settings, power cycles, radio on/off etc - that's why I was bringing the problem to them in the first place.

I was too annoyed to continue talking to the guy - so I wrote a long winded email to Orange CS complaining most highly (still haven't got a reply) about the gprs issue, the complete random inconsistencies in responses from CS & tech support, the fact that the advice from tech support can be gleaned from this or a number of other Smartphone forums & has been showen there by many responses that it doesn't fix the problem anyway. But mostly I was complaining about the approach Orange CS have taken with this problem - passing the buck between them & tech support, TL's who can't even get it together to call you back. You know, if the only way Orange can provide advanced user support is by us contacting CS, who then contact tech support, who then take 20 years to get back to you, they could at least have the decency to get back to you with some even remotely useful information!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

Imagine my joy, when yesterday evening (20th) a TL from Orange CS phones me up to tell me that tech support had got back to me again about the ongoing gprs problem to say ... (drumroll please!) ... they have checked my setting & the network again & it all seems to be OK!!

Well, thank God for that!!

Except that my gprs is still stuck on dialling, I can connect once out of about 5 attempts, and when I do get on, I get to see about 3 or 4 pages before I am disconnected & then stuck on dialling again.

I mean, I really didn't know what to say to the guy! You know, it's not his fault, like he didn't make the phone, or sell it to me - but then you're faced with the fella telling you that 'oh, it's ok, tech support have checked it all out, & it works!' - so I go - except, it doesn't work!! does it?? What do you mean, tech support says it's OK? I'm standing here with the phone in my hand & it doesn't connect to gprs!! Are they trying to say that I'm just making it all up?? Is that seriously their SECOND response to my problem?? After nearly 3 weeks!?!?

I know, I'm just going on & on - but, what am I meant to do, can somebody please tell me what am I meant to do here!?!?

Guest egghead101

Here I am reading about GPRS and low and behold my phone is stuck on GPRS. The little "G" that has become almost a permenant feature, on any skin I use, is starting to bug me as well.

The little "G" has become a constant nuisance ohh that and the fact that if your phone is locked and your call ends the display sticks on the call timer display.

If there are so many of us suffering this, why don't we make a standard complaint letter and collectively email/letter O to complain. I am fed up paying for a service I can hardly use.....

coz "when i saw you last night you was crying like a pu**y, yeah!!!"

Guest Coucou

Having said that my connection's getting better, one trick I am using is to keep myself online with Messenger, then the connection never goes off during the session. Hope that tip helps a few people. :)

Guest Pagemakers

Drblow, I can imagine just how you feel.

Like you I have had many conversations with Orange. I got fed up being told to turn my phone off, remove the battery or try to connect from other areas of my house!!! I felt like strangling the person on the other end of the phone. Their product knowledge was something to be ashamed of.

My GPRS connection has been better over the last few days but it is still far from perfect.

Not really sure what constructive advice I can offer you really. Have you tried your sim card in any other Orange phone - does it connect first time then?

We have 2 e100's in my house and one is a hundred times better than the other at connecting which makes me wonder if the problem really is with the Orange network or the phone itself. I have been an Orange customer for years and years and I have never had a problem connecting to GPRS before.

Coucou suggests keeping your phone connected to Messenger. That's a good idea to keep you connected to GPRS. I presume it doesn't cost that much to be permanently connected to Messenger? Maybe it's cheaper because inbox does not keep dialling GPRS every 30 mins to check for mail.....

Also, does it use any more battery power staying connected?

Guest drblow

Mmm... yeah, not really good for me, coz I don't have a hotmail account, or a MSN user identity & I don't use messenger.

Do you have to pay to sign up? Maybe I'll try it if it's free.

Anyway, all of these things are, by now, by the by for me - the fact still remains that I am paying for a product & service which is totally substandard.

I have completely run out of patience on this subject now. I don't care if it's network, handset - whatever - I just want to be able to connect to gprs from my phone like I am meant to be able to - FIRST TIME EVERY TIME. And to stay online as long as I decide, not be booted off & unable to reconnect. End of story.

And I want Orange to respond to my complaints about the service in a timely manner, & with information which at least makes me think that their tech support staff know more than me - and I'm a dunce!!

But that seems to be quite clearly too much to ask for from Orange.

Does anybody have any reliable information about these kind of problems on other networks? Or are we just talking about an Orange problem here??

Guest Simon Desser

I'm in Spain at the mo, and over the last few days I must have connected to GPRS more than fifty times, and NOT ONCE has my phone stuck on dialling :) I've been using the Movistar network over here, but before I came away, my phone was sticking about half the time :o So in my opinion, we can all stop worrying that there's something wrong with our phones, and hope that Orange UK pull their bloody fingers out and get it sorted!

Posted from my SmartPhone on the Costa del Sol!

I found no problems connecting to GPRS in Prage, or Italy. I do have difficulties in London from time to time. The GPRS reliablilty seems to vary throughout the day, perhaps suggesting problems with network capacity.

Solo

Guest Pagemakers

Jesus Christ. Orange have just got back to me today after raising the GPRS issue with them 3 weeks ago.

And their answer.....

Tech Support said they can not guarantee first time connect to GPRS. You may have to try several times to make a connection. Nor can they guarantee the speed at which you connect.

They there we have it Ladies and Gentlemen. Just put up with the dialling sticking screens, it's all part of the Orange Service.

I'm so glad I got that sorted, another very happy Orange customer :)

Stick.gif

Guest morpheus2702

That is bang out of order!

Paul, you were mentioning this to the high-ups in Orange a few weeks back - what was the response (if any)?

Guest drblow

I have this week recieved 2 new phones due to the total inability of Orange to resolve the gprs dialling... issue!

1st I got a replcement SPV, & when that didn't fix the problem, I got a replcement e100 upgrade (for FREE!! :) ).

Now, I'm not in any way trying to say 'oh, everybody go get a new e100' -coz most of the reason for the upgrade was due to the utterly inept responses I got (& waited about a month for) from CS. I emailed customer services complaining about not only gprs but the whole CS procedure & non-returned calls etc (see above posts). The upshot of which was that to compensate me for a months worth of hassle, I got a refund on my gprs for 2 months, & a new e100! :wink:

But, the fact still remains that gprs is STILL stuck on dialling :x - even tho for me on the new e100 it is dramatically less frequent. It is up to us -the smartphone community - to make a difference about this. If you are having problems with gprs, the PHONE 156 & COMPLAIN. Tell them you have tried settings, power on/off, soft reset etc. They will spin you the usual load of tripe about settings etc, then they will refer it to tech support, who will get back in about 2 weeks to say, try switching your phone on/off. We've all been there!

But keep the action with tech support going. Every time they get back to you with stupid, worthless advice, tell CS to send it back with a note saying 'not good enough. does not resolve problem' - whatever. You should at least be entitled to a refund of your gprs payments. Face it, you are being charged full whack for a completely unsatisfactory service, which is meant to be an integral part of owning a Smartphone.

Maybe eventually if they get enough complaints, & lose enough money refunding everyone's gprs, then they will have to address the problem sooner rather than later. :wink:

Guest morpheus2702

OK, my complaint has been registered with OCS regarding GPRS. Amazing how short the call is when you say that you are not interested in hearing explanations, just that you wish to register a complaint.

Taking bets on who will be the first to get a SPV2 FOC?

Guest Pagemakers

Just called and registered my complaint.

One again I was told they can not guarantee first time connect to GPRS. You may have to try several times to make a connection.

For me GPRS was getting better until today. The good old dialling screen is back with a vengeance!

CS have told me a supervisor will be calling me in 10 mins. Time now 16:10

Guest drblow
Taking bets on who will be the first to get a SPV2 FOC?
He he ... I did try to say that this wasn't meant to be a free for all just to get new phones!! But what the hell, if they can't offer a service that works, then that's their look out! All I was doing was passing on information to my fellow MoDaCo-ers!! :wink:

One again I was told they can not guarantee first time connect to GPRS. You may have to try several times to make a connection.  

That's ridiculous! Nobody ever said that to me, & I would have been raging if they had. Thats like saying they can't guarantee that a call will be connected first time, & you may have to try several times before getting through!! I would guess that response has not come from tech support, but has been made up by some CS twat who thinks they can just tell you anything to get you off the phone (I heard of CS once telling an Orange shop manager that the reason his customer couldnt send sms was coz 'it was cloudy that day'!!).

I would definately take that up with the supervisor. Tell them if they can't guarantee a service that you are paying for then you can't guarantee that you will pay for it - or remain an Orange customer for very much longer!! :wink: