1.5 for the UK - an update from Orange

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Simon Desser

I was told by Andy Thomas (Orange guy at the MoDaCo meet) that they WILL NOT be releasing 1.6 at all!

This is due to some IPSM problems with the upgrade.

He said they are working on a new upgrade, which will wipe the IPSM from your phone :) however, they are "hoping" to come up with some back up and restore function from your PC.

He also said that they don't want to release a UK update (for SPV's/SPV E100's )before the SPV2 comes out (I didn't really understand the reason behind that) but he gave (me) no indication of when SPV2's were coming out?

Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest morpheus2702
I was told by Andy Thomas (Orange guy at the MoDaCo meet) that they WILL NOT be releasing 1.6 at all! 

This is due to some IPSM problems with the upgrade

Wouldn't surprise me... 'official' updates from Orange are a frikkin' joke it would seem.

The 'chosen' few get to test the beta and chastise the rest of us along the lines of 'wait for the official update'.

But a month down the line, where is it?

This is due to some IPSM problems with the upgrade.

He said they are working on a new upgrade, which will wipe the IPSM from your phone ;) however, they are "hoping" to come up with some back up and restore function from your PC.

Alright - calm down, calm down!! :)

If Orange aren't releasing 1.6 because of IPSM issues, then I for one am glad they aren't just going to release another crappy update just coz everybody is crying about one. I'd personally rather wait until a good version is released. & if they are going to include some kind of backup facility, that is one thing I think is necessary for the smartphone, so would welcome that too!

You know, I want an update real bad aswell, but yapping at the modaco mods because they got a test version is not constructive. & what's with all the elitist talk - the mods here do a fantastic job of keeping us up to date with what's going on, often including their insider information from Orange. But as soon as they can't answer one question, it's like a whole bunch of people jumping up to cry about it! I wouldn't be suprised if as a result of this, future insider info is kept out of the forum - and I couldn't really blame anybody for doing that!

Guest morpheus2702

Its not a question of elitism, or indeed mods per se. Its a question of attitude - i.e. sounding snotty and not answering directed questions, or just being able to say we don't know!

For example: when all the hoo-hah was going on about the GPRS problems, we were told that this had been put to the high-ups in Orange.

Over a month later, and despite many people asking what had Orange said on the issue, not one person had responded - Paul, mods, anyone.

So is it a case of no-one willing to say 'we don't know' or 'Orange has said jack s*** to us'... maybe because it throws MoDaCo's ability to affect change into question?

Guest Richie M

Er, i would assume if no-one answers a question they either dont know or are not allowed to say :?

Image the number of posts if everyone answered "Sorry i dont know" :roll:

So, concerning the GPRS problem (although never encountered it myself) morpheus2702;

I dont know, but Orange are working on it :)

PS you gotta remember at the end of the day MoDaCo is just a bunch of users, we cannot tell Orange what to do or damand that they tell us what they are doing - all we can do is help each other and make Orange aware of any problems ;)

Guest morpheus2702

Hey Rich, fully with you on the 'helping out each other' bit.

But surely, if your answer is 'I don't know', then you should not make out that you presume to know the answer, or have a nugget of wisdom that others do not?

I.e.

Orange are working on the cure for the GPRS problem!

Really? When will it be ready?

Don't know, but they are working on it.

Doctors are working on a cure for AIDS.

Really? When will it be ready?

OK I know that is taking it to a silly extreme, but can you see the logic?

Guest PalmBeer
Orange are working on the cure for the GPRS problem!

Really?  When will it be ready?

Doctors are working on a cure for AIDS.

Really?  When will it be ready?

OK I know that is taking it to a silly extreme, but can you see the logic?

Hehehe definetly got a point there dude.. :)

But, what I'd like to know are 2 things :

:?: how long does it usually take for an update to be thought of, created, tested, cleared and then released normally??? 2 months? 2 weeks?? 6 months?? a year??

:?: how long have they been working on it sofar?

If these questions can be answered, they stil wont tell us a bloody thing ;) , but at least we can guess a little bit more in the right direction :wink: .. It's no assurance whatsoever so I don't see the harm in releasing that tidbit of info right??? :wink: :wink: :wink:

(hopes, but fears for no answers to this.. :roll: )

• 1 month later...

Ok, guys. We are waiting for a long time now, but has anyone got an idea when Orange launches an updated ROM yet?

And more important: will MSN Messenger work with that ROM? Because none of the manufacturers (Orange/Microsoft) seem to care that we can't use MSN Messenger anymore... :evil:

Wasn't this 1.5 they were testing. That has been stratched and now 1.6 is on the way.

I think you may be suprised with this one could be sooner than you think. [-o<

Hey guys!  

I've been given permission by Orange to let you know that the moderators and I are currently carrying out testing of a new update for the UK.  

The update, to be branded 1.6, has no firm release date yet, but will probably be within a few weeks.  

It has the same features that are being seen in, for example, QTek 1.5, but with the very latest radio stack and other bits n bobs. We HAVE noticed battery improvements over e100 1.5  

The phone is that little bit more responsive as with every update, the SMS counter WORKS (woohoo!), so all in all, good stuff...

Looking at this, I would say that 1.5 was already out, as he refers to it twice...

No offence, but I really find that they should work a tiny bit faster than that. (Orange I mean of course)

Guest PsychoDave

Yup but it wasn't released to the public so you couldn't flash your original SPV with the Orange UK Rom.

Qtek & Imate both released the 1.5 Rom but "officially" people on orange UK would be risking voiding their warranty installing it....

But I already had the dutch version then. I had an upgrade of rom 1.5.0.27 with dutch/english/french/german.

That was usable for an spv, as I knew a lot of people who used it. Wasn't that legal? it was an Orange ROM after all...

But I already had the dutch version then. I had an upgrade of rom 1.5.0.27 with dutch/english/french/german.  

Yes you can install a different ROM but at your own risk.

Unless it is an update from your own countries provider then it's not really recommended. :roll:

That was usable for an spv, as I knew a lot of people who used it. Wasn't that legal? it was an Orange ROM after all...

Remember that ROM revision number are not neccesarally the same in f.e. Netherlands and UK. So there being a Dutch 1.50.27 does not mean there is/was a UK 1.50.27.

Anyways this thread is obsolete... the new ROM coming will be the 1.6 (I'm geussing in the UK first), have a look at this thread : http://smartphone.modaco.com/viewtopic.php...p=310653#310653

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.