NEW i-Mate ROM UPDATE 1.5 WITH UK T9

Guest nixy

Guest vijay555

I'm getting days of battery life with both itek and qtek.

i liked the look of qtek, but needed t9 - aah, sweet mistress, how i've missed you, but couldn't stand the ugly Singlish logo on the imate.

fortunately, i fudged-up midnight's hack to change the dialing "banner", accidently screwing it up, and had the sweet epihany of realising that when the Smartphone can't load up the operator banner, it just removes it, so now both my dialing and incall screen have no operator logo, which is much neater and clearer.

Then, using the screen changer posted elsewhere, i've changed my startup and shutdown screen, and now have the sexiest b*tch-ass phone, with t9 and bags of battery life. Compared to my ridiculous battery lifed Orange 1.5 (e100).

V

Guest spacemonkey

Which registry key do I need to attack to get rid of these?

Also, I've found the battery life compared to my previous 1.3.6 rom to be better. Not amazingly better but notibly better non the less. I've very happy with the update and having a working sms char counter is a definite plus :)

fortunately, i fudged-up midnight's hack to change the dialing "banner", accidently screwing it up, and had the sweet epihany of realising that when the Smartphone can't load up the operator banner, it just removes it, so now both my dialing and incall screen have no operator logo, which is much neater and clearer.

V

Guest ***merlin***
Could you post a fresh link to the i-mate update as cant seem to get the other to work?

Seems to work now, been trying for days, just installed it and seems ok so far.

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

PLEASE NOTE:

In case this hasnt been pointed out already people:

The i-Mate update appears to update the GSM layer of the phone, whereas the last Orange does not. As you have noticed the i-Mate Radio version is not compatible with the Orange OS flash, so you cannot get signal. This is one of the reasons we recommend that you should NOT install updates from other countries.

The only fix you have to return the phone to an Orange version is to wait for the next update to be released.

Guest ***merlin***
PLEASE NOTE:

In case this hasnt been pointed out already people:

The i-Mate update appears to update the GSM layer of the phone, whereas the last Orange does not. As you have noticed the i-Mate Radio version is not compatible with the Orange OS flash, so you cannot get signal. This is one of the reasons we recommend that you should NOT install updates from other countries. 

The only fix you have to return the phone to an Orange version is to wait for the next update to be released.

im on vodafone and there is no problems, are you saying that if i put my orange sim in it wont work???

Mono, or anyone else....

I live in the USA, so do you think it would make a difference for me in having a different GSM layer? I was thinking of updating my UK Orange phone with this IMate ROM.

I'm not real sure what the following means either :?

--GSM layer

--the i-Mate Radio version is not compatible with the Orange OS flash

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

merlin: that seems to be the case, try it and see (i'm just going on what seems to be logical so far).

yoos: The phones memory is split into several "sections", eg the bootloader, the Operating system (OS), the GSM (Radio), IPSM, etc.

Different updates update different sections, all will update the OS, some update the IPSM, others the Radio and some the whole lot. As each operator tweaks their updates for their own networks (and in the case of i-Mate, software deals with IA Style) it seems that the way the Orange version of the OS section interacts with the Radio is different to the way the i-Mate does, and as the last Orange update does not appear to touch the radio once the i-Mate is on there is no way to recover it.

I hope this makes sense and i'd be interested to hear of anyone who has downgraded back from i-Mate v2 to the first Orange update and got an Orange sim working.

Thanks Mono, very informative... I didn't know some updates updated different areas like that.

You say once this IMate is installed there is no way to recover the way Orange uses the radio... but, if I went into the .93 bootloader of my Orange 1.3.5 ROM and saved all onto an SD, then used winhex to save on the pc, can I theoretically use this backup to recover my entire Orange SPV if I install this IMate and it doesn't work well for me?

I was going to try this IMate but just want to be sure I have things covered so my phone doesn't die (I don't have a backup one yet...)

Thanks!

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

Yes of course, if you've done a full backup then it can be restored :)

It's just this particular scenerio where people who have put i-Mate v2 on and try reapplying O UK update 1 that is causing the issues.

Guest flashflash

I might have missed the point here, but I have an original SPV and updated to Imate 1.5 with no problems. Phone is working fine, slighty better battery and more importantly, seems more stable.

I have upgraded my E100 using this firmware. Battery life is far improved over the version 1.5 which came with the phone.

Other differences:

* An annoying beep when you switch the phone on

* It now reverts to the homescreen after receiving a call with the keyguard on

* You can now select any phone number of a contact when SMSing, rather than just the mobile number

* Fully working character count

* Radio off renamed to Airplane mode on

* As already stated, IA Album is on ROM

* Might be imagining it, but connecting to GPRS seems a bit better

Just as with the original 1.5 which came with the E100, the software seems quite fast and stable - far better than the last update for the original SPV. I found my SPV would quite regularly either not start up, or would take ages to do so, sometimes freezing when it was supposed to ask for a PIN, but this no longer happens.

Sure there are more changes but I can't think of them at them moment. I'll post some more if I think of them.

Guest Monolithix [MVP]
I might have missed the point here, but I have an original SPV and updated to Imate 1.5 with no problems. Phone is working fine, slighty better battery and more importantly, seems more stable.

The issues arrive when people try to reapply the last Orange UK update after installing the latest I-Mate version.

Guest PalmBeer

I'm just reading all this for the first time and it seems very promising, so much in fact that I'm considering updating my rom of my spv with this...

BUT

I already read that i can put the original 1.35 of orange back on my phone should i need to. My problem is this, what if for some reason my phone gets damaged and I want to have it repaired within my warrenty. Will orange still accept it then? And what if for example the screen is damaged or something, then I cant put the original rom back on my phone, and thus cant have it repaired...

Any thoughts on this before i upgrade?

Guest awarner [MVP]
My problem is this, what if for some reason my phone gets damaged and I want to have it repaired within my warrenty. Will orange still accept it then?

If they look at your OS version then no you will not be covered.

Guest PalmBeer

If they look at your OS version then no you will not be covered.

and is there any certain way to know if they check for that sometimes? cause if its not too damaged i could set the original one back, but what if say it gets wet or something and wont do anything anymore :?: ...

Why would they check this then or is it a kinda routine thing to check?

I'm asking this cause I really LOVE modifying the spv so it fits my need perfectly and the idea of improved battery life :) , speedier menu's 8) and starting apps PLUS more stable :shock: (crashed 3 times today.. never had that much in a day..) seems almost too good to be true.. And i saddlydo not have the money to buy a new one so i need to keep the warrenty valid I'm affraid :?

Guest awarner [MVP]

Well if the pone does not start up at all you may be safe, I'm just saying be carefull as

you may get a replacement but it could come back to you after being inspected by Hays

or the equivelent in the Netherlands.

Then again if you scrw your phone up we are normally here to help :)

Guest ***merlin***
merlin: that seems to be the case, try it and see (i'm just going on what seems to be logical so far).

yoos: The phones memory is split into several "sections", eg the bootloader, the Operating system (OS), the GSM (Radio), IPSM, etc.

Different updates update different sections, all will update the OS, some update the IPSM, others the Radio and some the whole lot.  As each operator http://smartphone.MoDaCo.com/viewtopic.php?t=7695>Tweaks their updates for their own networks (and in the case of i-Mate, software deals with IA Style) it seems that the way the Orange version of the OS section interacts with the Radio is different to the way the i-Mate does, and as the last Orange update does not appear to touch the radio once the i-Mate is on there is no way to recover it..

Ok just got round to trying my orange sim with this i-mate rom, and it appears to work with no problems, only difference is radio off has turned into 'airplanemode'

Both my voda and orange sim are on payg but shouldnt make any difference.

Guest strangechild
Yes of course, if you've done a full backup then it can be restored :)

I'm tempted to try this update - a little extra battery life wouldn't go amiss here :wink:

Is having an IPSM backup enough to get the phone back to pre-iMate state? Or does it have to be a Full Backup?

(I know you've already used the words "full backup" here but I'm just hoping to get away with using the 8 MB SD card that came with the phone,and save the hassle of backing up the contents of my 80% full 256 MB SD card to the PC before it gets formatted...)

Guest strangechild

Merlin, I know that updating the phone doesn't format the SD card. I would be formatting the SD card before backing up the phone contents to it via the bootloader.

What I want to know is whether I need to do a full backup in order to be able to roll back the upgrade, or whether I can get away with just backing up the IPSM.