SPV2 - Pictured!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul [MVP]

The SPV2 has broken cover - in high quality pictures this time - at CoolSmartPhone!

And...

It looks like an e100. It has a VGA res camera, more rounded soft keys (good, the current design the paint scrapes off), and a different joystick.

spv2-1.jpg

A bit disappointing really, I don't see myself upgrading from my SPV to this, just for Bluetooth and a built-in camera. Would have preferred a larger screen and stylus to maximise functionality.

Guest mavisdavis

Stickboy do you own a P800.Because they require a STICK to maximise functionality.

But I must admit my mates did come in handy at a recent party when we were down to the last party sausage and all the cocktail sticks had been used to pick rice from the guests teeth :)

Guest Dave Abrey

The SPV2 looks OK to me. I had an original SPV, but got rid of it for a number of reasons, the top two being the size of the keys (I have large fingers :wink:) and the battery life. The first issue has been addressed (as of the e100), but I'd like to know if anything has been done about the battery life.

As for the new features, I think the built in camera is nice - you no longer need to carry the attachment around. And the bluetooth should be useful, as long as you can do everything over bluetooth that you can currently do via the cradle.

If the battery has been improved, and the general useability has been improved (eg not returning to homescreen after ending incoming call), then I might consider getting one again. But the upcoming Motorola v700 looks rather tempting :).

Cheers,

Dave.

Guest mavisdavis

Concerning the battery life Dave I've just upgraded to the iMATE Rom and the battery life has certainly improved in my case.

During a days use from full charge I'm usuallly down to 1bar at 16:30

Now I'm down to 3 bars so Its definatly improving.

Sorry if this is a bit off topic. If so remove. :oops:

I am really looking forward to this one... I have an SPV in the states and I really don't feel it's necessary to get the E100 right now. I will DEFINITELY get this one when it's realeased... I use my Jabra bluetooth headset all the time with my SPV and would love to not have to use the adapter. I would also love an integrated camera. I don't bother carrying my detachable camera anywhere and there were a few times I wish I had my camera... I would have to guess Smartphone 2003 would be better than 2002 also! I hope there is a more powerful processer.

Guest cpt_andy

the rubber bit at the top of the back cover? that is a cap covering the external ariel port. some car kits have an external ariel for improved signal that plugs in there. it is a fairly common feature that can be seen on most phones :)

ETA: beat me to it ;)

Cpt. Andy

Guest beersoft

its for the car kit Aerial booster thingy

edit: beaten by seconds with that one :)

--

Owen

"I'm an apatheist. The question is no longer interesting, and the answer no longer matters"

Does it have a faster processor or more internal ram ?

My SPV keeps hanging with the egg timer, which is most noticable when i send and receive lots of text messages each day.

Guest cpt_andy

based on the screenshots we've seen it would appear to have improved storage memory (says 26.14mb free). presumably it will also have improved ram. not sure about the processor.

Cpt. Andy

Not really the msot important thing but are anyone able to see what it says under the camera? VGA F2R or something ... what does that mean?

It's probably the F-stop of the lens - F2.4 or F2.8.

An MS smartphone won't have a higher res screen or a stylus, as both are specifically mentioned in the Smartphone specification, I believe.

Methinks that the Smartphone specs should be broadened, if Smartphone sales are to overtake PDA some of those PDA users are going to have to be swayed.

Guest ajb3000

I'm perfectly happy with no stylus, it is a phone after all and not a PDA. As for the processor, the orange guy at the meet said "presume it's an upgrade from the current SPV". I just really hope the bluetooth supports voice.

Guest Kallisti

FWIW, someone asked what was written under the camera.. VGA F2.8 (focal length of the camera)

Hopefully this will be on my list in my letter to santa. Would kill for bluetooth :)

Where did these pics come from.... Orange direct, or someone else?

Are they of a real Orange SPV2?, or has the O logo been superimposed onto pictures of a Voyager?

Also, does anyone know if this will be the only new smartphone Orange release, or are there still others in the pipeline. Ican upgrade at any time, but would rather wait to get a Mitac or Motorola..... but then is there any point waiting if they are never going to happen and I could have an SPV2 sooner.

Cheers

Rossy

Guest awarner [MVP]
Methinks that the Smartphone specs should be broadened, if Smartphone sales are to overtake PDA some of those PDA users are going to have to be swayed.

Then you would not have a single standard that developers can work to.

Guest ragnarokk1977

I'm sorry if this may be off topic but..

About the cam, I've recently tried out Panasonic's cam and it focused in real time (ie without the lag for the SPV). Y'think this will be resolved with the now built in cam for SPV2?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.