ADDICT MOBILE/SMART Concerns

Guest grifter

Guest grifter

Hey guys,

i you have any issues and/or problems/question regarding SMART/ADDICT MOBILE service, post them here.

Maybe we can share common problems and solutions.

thanks!

Guest grifter

I'll start off.

My question is --

When using an ADDICT sim on an SE T68i, you have the option under connectivity, data comm, sms access -- gsm or gprs.

If I set the SMS access to GPRS, will I be charged per KB or will I still be charged 1 peso per SMS sent?

I already called up SMART customer service. They said they don't know! nge!

The difference between sending SMS via GSM or GPRS is in how the data was sent. Messages are sent faster thru gprs. SMART can determine if you send an sms over gprs, and charge you accordingly, but it may be possible that the small amount of SMS data will also register on the GPRS APN and another charge might be applied for the connection.

Posted from my SmartPhone!

im a self confsed adik!

SMS at least.

wat i know u wud b charged 4 d GPRS connection @0.25 /kb . SMS should be transmtd via GSM network @ 1 peso/160 character msg sent.

its up 2 u... what u think is cheaper? i recomend GSM.Posted from my SmartPhone!

im a self confsed adik!

SMS at least.

wat i know u wud b charged 4 d GPRS connection @0.25 /kb . SMS should be transmtd via GSM network @ 1 peso/160 character msg sent.

its up 2 u... what u think is cheaper? i recomend GSM.

Guest grifter

if you compute it, 1 sms=160 chars=160 bytes

so 1024 bytes / 160 ~ 7 --> so for 1KB, you can send approx 7 text msgs at .25 centavos.

7x4=28 text msgs sent=4KB=1 peso when using GPRS

vs

1 peso per text msg when using GSM

gets? :)

Guest grifter

correct me if i'm wrong, but the smsc is in mobile phone format (+6391800010 or something). therefore accessing the smsc will use GSM.

if you send via gprs, will it still connect to the smsc? I thought if you use GPRS, you're dealing with IP addresses and not telephone numbers.

now i'm confused. :)

I'm not talking about SAPs here. hehehe...

on SE phones, T6xx series, you have the option to send SMS via GSM or via GPRS.

i used to be able to do that (send sms via gprs) with my ericsson t38m over globe but globe recently disallowed it. even then i used to be charge the sms rate for sending through gprs but the message would get through much faster.

Guest grifter

yup. i used to do that also when i was still with globe.

my purpose is just to clarify the cost of sending 1 sms mesg via GPRS.

if it will be charged the GPRS way, then it's good since it's gonna be cheaper. hehe...

But if it will still be charged 1 peso per sms mesg, ok lang since sending via GPRS is much faster expecially really long mesgs.

What I want to avoid is being charged 1 peso per sent mesg plus the GPRS data cost pa.

correct me if i'm wrong, but the smsc is in mobile phone format (+6391800010 or something). therefore accessing the smsc will use GSM.

if you send via gprs, will it still connect to the smsc? I thought if you use GPRS, you're dealing with IP addresses and not telephone numbers.

now i'm confused. :)

SMS whether via GSM or GPRS passes thru SMSC. The only difference is the path used to transport the data to the message center. SMS thru GSM uses the Mobile Switching Center (MSC) while GPRS uses the Servicing GPRS Support Network (SGSN).

So, SMS were billed as soon the SMSC received the message. The question now is whether the kilobyte used will also be billed based on GPRS usage? Well, it depends on the carrier. In case of AT&T wireless (according to their customer support), kilobyte used for SMS via GPRS is not included on SGSN usage. Therefore, sending sms thru gsm or gprs were billed at the same rate.

I'm not sure if this is also true on smart.

1. Does the 85 free minutes for plan 800 applicable to any calls (ie: NDD, IDD, Local) ? How is my free minutes is deducted if I use it to call to any NDD, IDD numbers? Does it include also for internet connection (WAP, GPRS) ?

2. For the messaging, how does the 450 free credits deducted if I use it for mms messaging? Why does the GPRS (.25/kb) is under the messaging category instead of calls? Accessing GPRS is dialing a number, why is it that it is categorized as messaging? What is MVAS? SMS IOD? MMS IOD? Java Frontpage?

3. How should I know if my free minutes and free credits exceeded? How would I know my charges for the current month?

Guest grifter
1. Does the 85 free minutes for plan 800 applicable to any calls (ie: NDD, IDD, Local) ? How is my free minutes is deducted if I use it to call to any NDD, IDD numbers? Does it include also for internet connection (WAP, GPRS) ? 
free mins are only applicable to local calls to any cell provider and landline. NDD and IDD are not deductable from the free mins. For CSD connection it uses the free minutes as long as the dialup number you're calling is not NDD or IDD.

2. For the messaging, how does the 450 free credits deducted if I use it for mms messaging? Why does the GPRS (.25/kb) is under the messaging category instead of calls? Accessing GPRS is dialing a number, why is it that it is categorized as messaging? What is MVAS? SMS IOD? MMS IOD? Java Frontpage? 

the free credits apply for GPRS access, MMS, SMS, content downloads (from SMART wap portal). Using GPRS doesn't dial a number. As for the other acronynms, I suggest you dial *888 on your cellfone and ask the CSR to explain. :)

3. How should I know if my free minutes and free credits exceeded? How would I know my charges for the current month?

you can call *888 and follow the voice menu to check your balance. SMART will send you a text if you have exceeded 50% of your credit limit.

What is MVAS? SMS IOD? MMS IOD? Java Frontpage? uote]

MVAS - Mobile Value Added Service

SMS IOD - Short Messaging Service Information On Demand

MMS IOD - Multimedia Messaging Service Information On Demand

Java Frontpage -- JAVA application that monitors (converts number data ) WAP/GPRS downloading transaction in a Web/wap page visited.

It is the Java Applet used in the web/wap page, some converted HTML/XML/WML files displayed to your phone .

hope this helps.

CIAO Baby!!