GPRS Dialling Sticking Poll

Guest Pagemakers

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

Think what you like people :)

I've GPRS'ed fine in and around (10 mile radius) of Stafford and Birmingham (went to the new Bull Ring on Thursday) with no problems, no Dialling sticking, nothing. The only times i have any issues are in areas of bad reception. By that i mean areas that will always cause problems each time i go to them and is resolved by moving to another location.

Guest beersoft

Mono,

it might work ok for you, but can you give a reson why GPRS would work in on place on 2 phone and then only on one 3 miles away? the phone that doesn't work loses the G and everything.

later

Owen

baiting the mod's for fun and profit

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

I'm not saying that there isn't a problem, from the results of the poll then clearly there is. All i am saying is that there are cases where GPRS works perfectly.

As for one handset losing all GPRS connectivety, that sounds like a completely different issue altogether, and would suggest a hard reset, checking with your carrier that they are not messing with your settings, and then a handset replacement would be in order.

Guest beersoft

im sure its not a phone problem.

if we swap the sim cards, mine works in his phone, but not the other way round, in a gprs sort of way.

its just i don't think orange have a clue about what's going on! but i will save that rant for later :)

later

owen

must sleep.............

I live in Huddersfield and have days where it works fine and others where I just give up. It does not matter where I am, what time it is, signal strength or the wind direction in Peru, it's just random :)

Posted from my SmartPhone!

I consider myself lucky on this one. Mine only fails about one in ten connections, if that, and a quick disconnect / reconnect usually solves the problem. Occassionally it takes a power down / power up to solve though.

I use mine all over the UK and have not noticed any difference from one place to another. Also someone questioned whether some decertified software might be at fault. I didn't decertify mine til about two months ago and the problem occurred before that. De-certifying and installing decertified software hasn't made any difference so I think we can safely rule that one out.

Can anyone tell me whether the GPRS roaming agreement with Movistar/AMENA (Spain) etc. and Orange has been cancelled, as whenever I try to connect I am unable to? I was over in Spain about 3 months ago, & at that time evertyhing appeared to be fine. I´ve attempted to use various settings (including the ones that I used when I was out here last, & nothing seems to work, even though the settings appear to work without any problems in other countries that I´ve visited. GPRS appears to be available (the ´G´is shown ont he handset), but I am still not able to connect at all (sticks on dialling, & says únable to place call´). I´ve even tried other phones/ SIM card combinations, but to no avail.

Guest Simon Desser

I was in Spain a couple of weeks ago, and used Movistar faultlessly :D

I'm in Spain at the mo, and over the last few days I must have connected to GPRS more than fifty times, and NOT ONCE has my phone stuck on dialling ;)  I've been using the Movistar network over here, but before I came away, my phone was sticking about half the time :lol: So in my opinion, we can all stop worrying that there's something wrong with our phones, and hope that Orange UK pull their bloody fingers out and get it sorted! 

Posted from my SmartPhone on the Costa del Sol!

Cheers

Simon

Guest PsychoDave

Same story here, sticks most of the time where I live. Lucky if I can connect at all some days.

At work (about 30 miles away) though I have a better chance maybe 50% of the time.

Funny thing is, I've been on holiday down in devon last couple of weeks and couldn't get a signal to save myself but could connect to GPRS more often than not. :?

Oh well roll on the new radio stack. Can't be any worse. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Pagemakers

Both phones in my house have been unable to connect to GPRS for 2 days.

Just called 156 and was told 50% of the GPRS network is down and she confirmed it was out in my area.

Mr Orange - this is one of the most debated issues at the moment. When will GPRS be fixed once and for all - as you can see, nearly 70% of your customers have considerable problems connecting.

Guest morpheus2702

Glad that I am not alone here - have had to take my data settings off 'automatic' for the last week to get mail.

Pagey - you ought to post a new thread on this.

Last week was the worst for GPRS connection that I've experienced so far. Over three days I tried to connect and failed to get anything other than the Dialling... message. Checked all my settings but nothing seemed to be amiss. When the connection was being attempted it would often lock up the whole phone. Radio on/off, even rebooting, battery out/in etc. would not fix it. Frustration nearly prompted me to throw it out into the traffic.....

Today the phone spontaneously rebooted...and rebooted...and back to sunset screen...and rebooted.... and reset to standard orange home....then to orange home in german. After it had calmed down, and I'd reset the basic settings I found that I can connect to the internet first time/everytime. It's great - GPRS as it was/is supposed to be!!! I'm just doing it now for the sake of it - plus the connection speed seems to be awesome....look at that....and again....brilliant!!!