Manipulating Contacts (redefined)

Guest spv_dman

Guest spv_dman

These procedures are smartphone standalone specifics. No activesync to MS Outlook is required to perform such task. There are threads already posted in the customization section which lets you manipulate your contacts using MS Outlook.

For each of the following, it's assumed SmartPhoneBackup is already installed on your smartphone. This comes with the bundled software of Mitac Mio. Also, it's a common practice to backup important data on your phone.

Disclaimer: I will not be held responsible for any lost of information in the process of performing the procedures contained herewith. These have been tested using Qtek ROM 1.50.91

Important: To avoid any accidental overwriting of your original phonebackup files, use smartexplorer or activesync explore to replicate the orig db file and rename it to say BackupDBorig.bak (this can be anything you like) after performing phonebackup procedures. Paths and original filenames are stated below.

Here goes:

I. Ever wanted to backup your contacts directly to your phone (IPSM and/or Storage Card)?

A. To Backup:

1. Invoke Programs > PhoneBackup

2. Select "Storage".

Storage Card = mm/sd card backup; placed under Storage CardbackupBackupDB.bak

Flash Rom = IPSM backup; placed under IPSMbackupBackupDB.bak

3. Click "Backup" then "Ok".

4. Check "Contacts" then "Next" then "Backup".

5. A notification will appear stating backup is successful.

B. To Restore:

1. 1 & 2 of above. If the directory is non-existent, you need to create it first (I.A.2)

2. Click on "Restore" then "Ok" then "Restore".

3. A notification will appear stating restore is successful.

II. Ever wanted to mass delete your contacts?

By default there's no such option in contacts to delete all. Steps below will do the trick :wink:

1. Rename your orig phone contacts backup (as stated above) then Unzip/copy to smartphone/rename the attached file (BackupDBblank.zip contains a blank contacts phonebackup file) to BackupDB.bak. Filecopy path depends on where you want to restore from. Check out I.A.2.

2. Peform I.B.

3. If you don't have any contacts on your SIM, it will show that the contacts are already empty. Else, all the contacts that you'll see will be from SIM and not from the phone. 8)

III. Ever wanted to use your phone to copy contacts from one SIM to another?

1. Insert SIM to be copied

2. Backup your orig contacts (I.A)

3. Restore an "empty" backup file (II)

4. Invoke Programs>SIM Manager

5. Menu > Select All

6. Menu > Add to Contacts

7. Check out "Contacts" if entries from old SIM have been copied.

8. Insert blank SIM.

9. Programs > SIM Manager > Menu > Contacts to SIM.

10. Verify if contacts are copied properly to New SIM.

11. Rename orig backup contacts file to BackupDB.bak.

12. Restore your contacts (I.;)

If you have a storage card, you can toggle between "mass contact deletion" and reverting back to your original contact database. This will save you time in doing the manual "replication" of BackupDB.bak.

1. Create a backup of your contacts (I.A)

2. Depending on your choice of storage media (IPSM or Storage Card), put the empty BackupDB.bak file to the "unused directory" either IPSMbackup or Storage Cardbackup.

3. Now let's assume the following:

IPSMbackup = empty contacts database

Storage Cardbackup = original contacts database

4. Select PhoneBackup > Storage

>Flash ROM = if you want to delete all your contacts

>Storage Card = if you want to revert back to your original contacts db

5. Perform I.B 2 & 3.

Hope you'll find this informative and useful. :)

BackupDBblank.zip

richard,

since my rom was originally a v.1.3.6 (i upgraded it to qtek's), i don't have any phonebackup menu......what am i gonna do?...is there a another way to invoke phonebackup?

Guest spv_dman

Like I said earlier, it comes with the bundled software of Mitac Mio and not as pre-installed applications of any ROM. I'm reluctant to post it here 'coz I'm not so sure if it's legal to do so considering that it was meant for a particular handset and not for smartphones in general. Like in most threads what they do for such case is to send it via email or privy. I'll do the same for those of you interested, just drop me a privy :D

binky_p, YMT I'll send it to you via privy later ;)

• 1 month later...
Guest spv_dman

I've attached tha Mitac phonebackup application. Mods, just delete it if you deemed it inappropriate, but I think this can be classified as a freeware. I hope this helps to resolve the problem in mass deleting contacts in reference to the post of hershey07

Guest sweetyls

ei, mejo related naman 'tong question ko sa topic...

diba in outlook, when you input the birthday of a contact, automatic na magkakaron ng calendar entry for that right? is there a way to do the same thing for SAP?

• 4 weeks later...
Guest kapitan jackal
hey in your procedure a.1 where is the phonebackup do i have to create one??? call me slow but i can't seem to follow your procedure.

ako din , call me super slow! di ko magets :-?

Guest kapitan jackal

copy pards :lol:

@spv- pards, na download ko na , super stupid question, pano ko iinstall sa sap? san ko pards ilalagay? (ipsm? pwede ba sa sd?) teka, subukan ko ulit.

pasingit (OT)- pano mag hard reset?

AYUUUUUUUUUN! AYOS! salamat pards! :D

Guest kapitan jackal

(phone in question!)

ok na. na back up ko na mga pards sa sd. pag nag hard reset ako (tangal sd) di kaya mabura pati yung apps (downloaded from spc-dman thread) baka di ko na maibalik yung contacts ko??

help!

Guest spv_dman

Correction im spv_dman not spc-dman hehehe.

Kapag nag hard reset ka tanggal yung application, pero kung sa SD card mo ni-save yung contacts, ma-retrieve mo ulit ito. Yun nga lang you have to reinstall the phonebackup application to make it work again after the hard reset. :lol: