gps

Guest ndavey1

Hi

Is there ever going to be a gps program for the smartphone? I really need sat nav so i can drive without getting lost. I dont really want to buy an ipaq as I love my smartphone and it would be great if it could do this.

Cheers,

Nathan.

• 1 month later...

There's a whole load of companies working on location specific services, using GSM location (not GPS). It's not as accurate, but they can pinpoint where you are to quite a small distance these days. Lord Hamilton was proven not-guilty of rape charges recently on the basis of systems like this showing that his phone was no where near the scene. (IIRC)

Some of the services are things like child locators and local yellow-pages type things. I'm fairly sure there will be mapping options at some point, though the technology may not take advantage of the SPV. Most of the existing ones work via text messages.

There's an application for pocketPC which integrates road maps with GPS location. Here are the basic features of this app:

Basic Mapping features such as Zoom-In / Zoom-Out and Pan.

Search capabilities.

Identify features.

Multi-Layered maps.( Streets, Buildings, Utilities/Services, Restaurants, Insititutions etc.)

Personalized "pinning" of points. You can create your own map layers composed of points important to you.

GPS Integration. Your PocketPC can be your navigation tool. Whether you are travelling by car, by bicycle, or by foot. You can be confident that you have a dependable tool to guide you on your journey.

you can find it at:

http://www.findme.com.ph/_FindMe_Maps_Download.htm

sadly they dont have version yet for smartphones.

I should have said...the SPV has zero GPS capabilities. You need a GPS receiver to use the system, and there aren't any available that'll plug into a phone. It might be possible to make an SD-card one in the future.

Guest Paul [MVP]

I have a bluetooth GPS, which should work on E200.

Hopefully there will be an app that lets me take advantage of it (I know of at least one company working on something along these lines!)

p

Guest Maverick
"]I have a bluetooth GPS, which should work on E200.

Hopefully there will be an app that lets me take advantage of it (I know of at least one company working on something along these lines!)

p

That would be cool !! This is something I always wanted on my SPV.

"]I have a bluetooth GPS, which should work on E200.

p

I know of another :)

Guest rikwebb

Paul,

I have a Emtec BT GPS for the Ipaq, whats the company working on the smartphone version of the software??

I currently run Travroute CoPilot 4 on the Ipaq, if Icould get this working on the new e200 (when it arrives), I would be a very happy man...

Rik

• 3 weeks later...
Guest smithgt

That looks quite promising, I'm planning to get a E200 and if I can get a BT save nav system then I'd be one happy camper. If there is demand for this kind of product then the main stream guys like TomTom v2 may well have a product in the pipeline.....

Having seen the deal at Aldi for Sat Nav inc PDA for £350 I think I'd be better waiting for an SPV E200 version.

Guest Schioett

Because you can get fairly cheap GPS that only has BT/serial output and no screen at all....

I for one have one of these babies.

I use it for my car where I can lay the GPS in the window an have my laptop connecting to it via BT

Cheers 8)

It's also way cooler, to use BT. Many of us are gadget geeks. Always remember that!! :wink:

Personally, I'd buy a handsfree kit for the car if I had BT, just to set it up with GPS. Sat-nav's probably a thief magnet, but an empty phone cradle isn't. Plus it would be neater, having less add-ons in the dash.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest smithgt

Just had an email back from TomTom...

Dear Mr. Smith,

Thanks for your mail. Currently, we do not have plans to release Navigator software for the Smartphone 2003 handset. However, we have filed your suggestion and will use it as input.

Watch our website at http://www.tomtom.com to stay informed of new releases.

Regards,

TomTom Customer Services

[email protected]

http://www.tomtom.com

Guest rikwebb

Ive just had a response from Travroute regarding Pocket CoPilot plans.

They have Smartphone development on their roadmap, and have asked me to become a Beta tester for them.

It wont be until next year ;) , but its a start..... :lol:

Ill keep you posted.

Rik