My SAP hangs at Smart Amazing Phone Screen

Guest KOOPS

Hi... sorry if this has been discussed before, but my connection is really bad right now and i've only a small window of opportunity to get this to you guys...

anyway...

i turned off my phone a few hours ago to conserve my battery... when i got home and turned it on, the "SMART Amazing Phone" screen came up, and then nothing... it didn't proceed to the the "Smartphone 2002" screen...

just nothing.... i couldn't turn it off so i just popped the battery... when i turned it on, it would still hang...

what gives? has anybody encountered this before? any remedies? i wouldn't mind losing stuff on my phone, i backed up a lot of it anyway...

i just want a working SAP ;)

please help....

He is new here.. he still doesnt know what hard reset is... ok dude, heres how you do it...

turn on the phone using the on and record button...

you will go to a 3 colored screen, also has a word Canary...

run an update (go to a www.smart.com.ph to get the file its 10mb :cry: )

but here's the best sugestion, if you live in manila.. go to the

nearest smart telecenter... its better off... ;)

Guest dinoalbert
He is new here.. he still doesnt know what http://smartphone.MoDaCo.com/viewtopic.php?p=97945#97945>Hard Reset is... ok dude, heres how you do it...

turn on the phone using the on and record button...

you will go to a 3 colored screen, also has a word Canary...

run an update (go to a www.smart.com.ph to get the file its 10mb :cry: )  

but here's the best sugestion, if you live in manila.. go to the

nearest smart telecenter... its better off... ;)

Err you are instructing him to flash a rom update...I tought Hard Reset only? To Hard Reset:D

Guest ppcsurfr

Okay. I think the questions we should be asking are what can cause this to happen and how do we prevent it from happening.

If the phone simply hangs and is powered off, sometimes you get temp files that cause the unit to run low on resources... causing it to lock on the Operator logo screen.

Solution is to do a hard reset by erasing the IPSM.

How? Simple.

Remove SD card, MMC, or the dummy card.

Power it off.

Power it on whilst pressing the record button. Hold them down for a few seconds.

On the white screen, before the 3color Canary Screen, press the action button (the joystick center) for a few seconds.

A menu will appear. Select erase IPSM.

That's all.

Mabuhay!

Carlo Ma. Guerrero (Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices)

---------------------------------

I created this message on Thursday, September 26, 2002 at 12:22:32 a

Put the power of Windows in your Pocket.

This message is sent using the HP iPAQ h2210 Pocket PC.

I hope this is not the same case I had with 5 Tanagers that I had to send to brightpoint for repair/ replacement, this normally would have been caused by a failed ROM upgrade wherein even the bootloader is damaged or erased and there is no other way but to change the main board or pluck out the EEPROM and reprogram it, @KOOPS if it does not hard reset then you have no other option but to bring it to Brightpoint for repair but if it does enter the canary screen then you are in luck and just have to apply the ROM upgrade again, we'll be waiting for your update, good luck ;)

Something similar happened to a phone that I was working on last weekend. But unlike KOOPS, the phone hanged because of something that I did to the phone.

I was trying to SIM-unlock my brother’s phone which have version 1.50 Smart ROM. I downgraded the bootloader to 0.98 and flashed a lower ROM version (Smart 1.3.7.8 ). After successfully completing the ROM downgrade (no errors), I tried to turn on the phone but it got stucked on the Smart Amazing screen (the phone never started even after more than an hour). So I decided to try to redo the whole thing and I found out that the new ROM was not written into the phone. [i came to this conclusion because when I run the ROM upgrade program again I got a screen that says something like this:

Upgrading ROM version from: (nothing)

To: 1.3.7.8

Or something to that effect.]

After running the ROM upgrade, I still got the same result. I decided to do a Hard Reset. Everything when fine during the Hard Reset but then my phone is still stuck in the Smart Amazing screen. I then tried to upgrade the ROM to Qtek and the phone booted up without any problem.

Upgrading to Qtek also upgraded the bootloader to 1.07v, so again I downgraded to it 0.98. I tried to run the SPVUnlock program on the phone (under Canary mode) but it doesn’t work. So, again I tried to downgrade the phone to Smart 1.3.7.8. After “successfully” (no errors) downgrading to Smart 1.3.7.8, I turned it on and the phone started without a problem. When I tried to turn it off to go to Canary mode to run the SPVUnlock program again, the phone got stuck and did not turned off even after an hour of waiting. I then popped out the battery and tried to restart it again, but I got stuck on the Smart Amazing screen this time. I had to do the upgrade again to Qtek to make the phone run.

My question is, has Smart made some changes again that may have caused the phone hang? My brother’s phone is only two weeks old. My own phone also had the Smart 1.50 ROM installed but I was able to SIM-unlock it by downgrading first to Smart 1.3.7.8.

Anyone has an idea on this? Is it due to something that I done wrong?

My question is, has Smart made some changes again that may have caused the phone hang? My brother’s phone is only two weeks old. My own phone also had the Smart 1.50 ROM installed but I was able to SIM-unlock it by downgrading first to Smart 1.3.7.8.

Anyone has an idea on this? Is it due to something that I done wrong?

I had the exact same experience as you had. From a Smart 1.50 ROM and 1.04 bootloader, I flashed my phone with a 0.98 bootloader and then flashed the Smart 1.3.7.8 in. I got no errors during the upgrade process. After rebooting my phone, I got stuck with the Smart splash screen.

Thinking that the SIM-locked Smart 1.50 was already wiped-out anyway, I tried to run the SPVUnlock program and good enough, I got my unlock code. Afterwards, I flashed my phone with the Qtek 150 ROM image and did a reboot. The Qtek upgrade seemed to erase the IPSM automatically. Somewhere during the startup phase I was prompted to enter the unlock code and I did. I did another reboot and now I have an open line SPV!!!

Try it.... Let me know what happens....

Guest josh72201

i also have the same experience with you guys, i downgrade to .98 and sap 1.37 and after that i boot up and get stuck to smart amazing logo i tried hard reset and same thing happens. i run the qtek upgrade and i boot up successfully and promted me the unlocked code and here i am i have an unlocked sap, you should try to run the spv unlock first before running the smart 1.37 then upgrade to qtek and the lock code will prompt you and your going to have an unlocked sap after that

i tried to do a shortcut on another phone I unlocked. What I did was downgrade to a 0.98 bootloader and ran SPVunlock, got the unlock code and immediately applied Qtek update without going through the sap 1.37. I was still prompted to enter the unlock code. And sure enough, the phone was unlocked.

Guest spv_dman

The key here is to have the 0.98 or lower bootloader on your phone to run SPV unlock right? I think for those you who can't get their hands on a 0.98 or lower bootloader stored to mm/sd card, might have to consider using the orange ROM 1.36 update which has the 0.98 bootloader. Except of course if you have currently the 1.04 bootloader which will leave you no choice but to flash the bootloader 0.98 or lower via card.

Guest mlkanapi

@wolfman, @josh72201, and others

I was worried that I was the only one who had a SAP hang at the Simply Amazing screen. I had the same experience of downgrading a 3 week old SAP with ROM 1.50 to a 0.93 bootloader and trying to run the SAP 1.37 ROM.

Although I have advised my friend to bring the phone back to Smart (since it is less than a month old) , it's good to know that upgrading to Qtek will bring it back.

You are right, there might be something new in the newer SAPs that prevent unlocking. :!:

Hey so long as you can still run your bootloader (any version) then you are still perfectly safe! You can still flash any ROM image at your hearts delight. ;)

If even your bootloader doesn't work then basically you have a dead phone. The only thing that will raise it from the grave is to do the programming through the JTAG port and flash the bootloader manually. You would have to open your phone for that and you must have the proper equipment (JTAG cable, software... etc.)

Yep, spv_dman, you are right. The key really is to remove SMART's default 1.04 bootloader and flash a lower version (0.98, etc..)

(TO: Joey Legaspi read this thread!)

@wolfman, @SPV_man and @Josh72201,

this weekend, I tried to run the SPVunlock software again on the phone but it doesn’t seem to work. I checked the canary mode and confirmed that it still has the 0.98 bootloader while ROM is Qtek 1.50.9.1.

Does my PC’s OS matter? My PC is running on Windows ME although I was able to unlock my own phone using this PC. Any other ideas?

@ luwity

i think you have to be running windows 2000 or XP for spvunlock to run. if you have successfully flashed the Qtek 1.50.9.1 ROM it shoudn't have the 0.98 bootloader anymore. anyway, if your canary screen says 0.98, then using a PC with winXP or 2000, you should be able to see your unlock code using spvunlock

Guest luwity
@ luwity

i think you have to be running windows 2000 or XP for spvunlock to run. if you have successfully flashed the Qtek 1.50.9.1 ROM it shoudn't have the http://smartphone.MoDaCo.com/viewtopic.php?t=2628>0.98 bootloader anymore. anyway, if your canary screen says http://smartphone.MoDaCo.com/viewtopic.php?t=2628>0.98, then using a PC with winXP or 2000, you should be able to see your unlock code using spvunlock

@wolfman,

yup after upgrading to Qtek, my bootloader was likewise upgarded to 1.07. However, since I have a 0.98 bootloader in a spare SD card, downgrae again to 0.98. After downgrading to 0.98, I tried to run SPVunlock program but it doesn't work.

I am running Windows ME on my home PC and I was able to unlock my SAP. With this new SAP from Smart, I can do so. That was why I was asking if anybody knows anything about SMART altering the latest version ROM to prevent it from being SIM-unlocked......

Guest luwity

@wolfman,

unfortunately, i was unbale to run the SPVunlock program (which is actually my main problem right now)..so the sim card will be indicated as invalid..

Guest BrAGoL

@luwity

i think you better unlock your unit first before applying the qtek or imate upgrade... and run the spvunlock on WIN XP or WIN 2000 as told by wolfman...

Guest luwity

@bragol,

Unlocking my phone is really the root of the problem. The reason why I upgraded to Qtek is because my phone hangs up in the Smart Amazing screen after I downgraded ROM from Smart 1.5 to Smart 1.3.7.8. So I had no choice but to upgrade to Qtek because the phone don't accept Smart 1.5 anymore (Error message is cannot recognize phone..or something)

Do I really need Win2000/XP to run the SPVunlock program? I was able to run the SPVunlock program before on my home PC running in WinME and SIM-unlocked my phone. Now, I can't make it work on the new SAP from Smart. (When I first tried to unlock the phone, it was only around 2 weeks old, hence, my initial concern was that Smart has done something prevent the SPVunlock program to run on this new phones)

Has anyone tried to unlock the new units that Smart issues to new subscribers lately? If yes, have you encountered any problems when you unlocked it?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest TheCardinal

i fried my friends e100 :)

we were trying to upgrade it to the QTEK ROM, but there was an error during the upgrade. "Connection Error" and its on the process of erasing the ROM at 2% completed. now it won't bootup anymore it hangs at Smart Amazing Phone Screen.

I have restarted the upgrade and it still has this "Connection Error" we have already checked the terminal change the USB Cable, we use a USB Cradle, still we have "Connection Error"?

When i upgraded mine it went on smoothly. I have downgraded his booloader to .99 and it was a success, but when upgrading the ROM thats were our problem started.

I have tried using USBTERM, but to no available USBTERM reports "Invalid Handle". it can't detect the phone, and its on the TRInary Screen and Stop the activesync process already.

Any ideas guys, any suggestion. :(

Guest ManofTrueGod

Ako, I was just renaming the Shortcuts when after reboot I got stuck na with the SMART Amazing Screen. How do you start from scratch? May link ba dito I can restart everything from scratch? Di pa ako familiar sa mga terms na nabasa ko dito - boot loader, firmware, etc.

Where do I start? SMART lang ba makaka-fix nito? I just upgraded from 1.06 version ng SMART firmware and had no intention to SIM-unlock. Is this fixable on a DIY basis? Thanks sa tulong.