MP3 to your car Radio from the SPV

Guest Zim

hey all just had a thought!

the iTrip that they have for the iPod! that allows ya to tune ur radio to the ipod which converts the sound to radio waves! had a look at the picture and looks like it may be possible to moded it to the spv!

here is a pic! guys let me know what ya think!

"Z"

iTrip.JPG

It's already been done. You just need to get a 2.5 mm stereo jack to whatever your car accepts. You could use it with one of those cd/tape adapters, where there is an audiotape with a wire coming out of it that you plug into the phone.

Need to be careful to make sure you get a stereo one. I'd like to make one up with a microphone as well, but you can't get 2.5 jacks with 4 connectors (like the SPV headset) anywhere.

We sell a thing at work which you plug into your cd/mp3 player and into the car cigarette lighter, then it transmits the sound via FM waves and you tune your car stereo to the relavent station and listen to it through that. What I don't know however is how far the go, i.e. whether mates driving behind you could also tune in. www.specialreserve.com is the site if anyone interested.

Guest carlreader

Possibility as in car kit?

Is it possible to get an adaptor between the Arkon system + SPV which will provide a mic?

Or will this system work with a strategically placed SPV and no mic - hands free kit with no installation!?

Guest chucky.egg
We sell a thing at work which you plug into your cd/mp3 player and into the car cigarette lighter, then it transmits the sound via FM waves and you tune your car stereo to the relavent station and listen to it through that.  What I don't know however is how far the go, i.e. whether mates driving behind you could also tune in.  www.specialreserve.com is the site if anyone interested.

Weren't these illegal in the UK?

I thought the CarBaby (might have got that wrong) was banned because it transmits FM without having a licence to do so.

I dont remember the end of the "discussions", but the last I heard they were deemed illegal

;) forgot to add say well they ARE illegal! appernety i just read that the iTrip is banned in the UK!

oh well tobad for my idea! tho might work in america or europe tho!

FM Radio car kit -might sell! gonna patent my model and idea now!

:D

"Z"

Guest Maverick
What I don't know however is how far the go, i.e. whether mates driving behind you could also tune in.  www.specialreserve.com is the site if anyone interested.

Heh heh.. Imagine in this situation.. you get a call and you take it. You will be broadcasting your conversation on radio !! :roll:

They aren't illegal!! Many people use them just now in the UK, and you can still buy them. The iTrip broadcast to any nearby radio; all of the car/cd kits that transmit audio this way hook directly (in series) to the antenna, so you aren't actually broadcasting.

It's a funny world where it's perfectly legal to sell/buy things, but not to use them ;) bugging equipment is banned but you can buy it legally. Not that I have, obviously :|

Sorry Paul, but you aren't broadcasting on those frequencies, that's the difference with the iTrip and the car cd players, and why one is banned while the others are legal. The car ones hook up between the radio and antenna and don't have enough power to transmit it very far in the air (if at all). A device can use any frequency it wants internally, only external RF emissions are restricted. If you were to take one and hook it up to a signal amplifier and a broadcasting antenna, then you get into the dark side.

I've googled to find any relevant news articles or links on the subject, but there are none that I can see, only pages selling the things! I couldn't find a single source that I'd find reliable enough to settle it one way or another. Lot's "maybes" and "mights" in discussion boards, but that's about it. Looking like an urban myth to me, bit like the mobile phone/petrol station "problem".

Depends which petrol station myth you are refering to?

Well, we're on a mobile phone site, so take a guess!! :wink: Here is a link worth reading on the mobile phone / petrol station "problem".

You'd be amazed as to how many things taken as common knowledge are complete bull, bodies in beds, missing kidneys, needles in gas pumps etc. The rest of the Urban Legions & Fokelore site that I linked to is well worth a peek.

Guest fraser

Hmm, well a google UK-only search for "car fm modulator illegal" doesn't throw up anything (20 hits), and I'd trust google more than some magazine. Drop the "illegal" for the search, and you see that all the car stereo makers sell them here, as do all of the big car audio retaillers on the net. No disclaimers saying they are illegal on any of them.

Not illegal to sell it just illegal to use it--like speed camera detectors --by law in this country your not allowed to run anything that will adversly effect (interfere) with anybody elses appliences, and you have to have a licence to transmit on public FM bands.

We did this in electronics because its against the law to have any components resonating at frequencys in certain bands (FM public bands) even if the effect is only local.

and im sure the multi-national magazine stuff may have done some research.

Guest fraser
its against the law to have any components resonating at frequencys in certain bands (FM public bands) even if the effect is only local.
Sorry, ain't gonna back down on this one. I have an electronics degree myself. It's not illegal for something to resonate at certain frequencies, only if that signal is emitted is it an offence. Otherwise, computers would be illegal, as there are things in there running around 100MHz, which is slap bang in the middle of the FM band.

Because it's in a closed, isolated and shielded system, it's not illegal. Open your PC up, and hold a RM radio near the insides; it won't work very well. You can do what the hell you like in your wires & devices, it's the external airwaves that are regulated. Hence the iTrip thing is illegal, car stereo modulators aren't.

All CE marked electronic products must be tested for RF conformance, before being allowed on sale. This also includes testing to make sure that the product can withstand external RF. I've never taken a product through this process myself, but collegues have.

and im sure the multi-national magazine stuff may have done some research.

Doubt it. There was a recent post about a P800 screenshot appearing on an SPV in PC Format. Magazines are written by humans, and they run to very tight deadline. They often get things wrong; people tend to believe written down things far too easilly. Their word is not gosbel! :wink: They are no more smarter than any of us here.

I've yet to see one example of a prosecution on this, or an article in a respected source that even hints on the possibilty of them being illegal. The only thing I might accept was that if they were maybe illegal on the books, in the same way it's illegal for hackney taxi drivers to not carry a bale of hay around. It's on the books, but not really an enforced law. Again, I take you back to the point about mobiles supposedly being dangerous in fuel stations. It's taken as gosbel, but is simply not true. Yet this particular story has been published as truth by many magazines and newspapers. Take a look around for the warning signs in every petrol station.

yeh i agree --still think its illegal in the written law but no one aint gonna arrest you for it.

Are they selling it in this country then coz in the stuff mag they only gave an american link.

Guest HelloDave

There seems to be a lot of confusion in this thread

FM modulators that connect directly between your car stereo's aerial input and the antenna are not illegal because they do not transmit anything over the air - the only signal they transmit is along a wire and into your car stereo. Only you can recieve it this signal, and therefore, you are not transmitting anything on a regulated FM band, so there isn't a problem. This is how CD changer FM modulators work - just becuase they produce an FM signal is irrelevant, it would only be illegal if they transmitted it over the air. Think about it; if what some people have said in this thread were true then almost every VCR ever made would be illegal becuase they are capable of transmitting UHF signals (over a wire) to your TV.

The devices that are illegal are those that modulate an FM signal and then send it over the air so that it can be picked up via any FM radio in the vicinity. This is using the regulated FM band without a licence, and so is illegal, but obviously these devices are only breaking the law when they are actually switched on and transmitting a signal. IIRC you used to be able to buy "bugs" that worked just like this - turn them on, tune a nearby radio into xx.xMHz FM and listen. These were illegal to use (and the adverts for them had to state this)

HTH ;)

Guest fozzie

The CD changers are not illegal because they are do not radiate in the FM band. They do modulate a carrier in the FM band but because the CD changer is hardwired into the antenna socket, nothing is transmitted into the ether.

The so called "car FM modulaters" on the other hand do radiate a signal in the FM band and so are illegal.

Quite straightforward really ;)

Edit: You beat me to it HelloDave :D The old type of video senders also used the FM band and so were illegal. Hence the new type working up in the GHz band.