1.6 Update when?

Guest theodotcom

Guest theodotcom

My spv is at a crawl and i think i need to do a Hard Reset, is it worth waiting till the 1.6 update, does anyone know when this should be avaliable?

Guest Gorskar

Never. Orange have let us know that they are not realeasing 1.6

Instead they will do a new ROM update which incorperates a better radio stack. When we will actually get it? Who knows, but if its before December I'll be very surprised.

Guest morpheus2702

If you feel adventurous, try the iMate update - improves smoothness and battery life no end.

When you ask about updates here, all you get is tumbleweed...

Guest Mr Orange

I expect to start testing the new build within the next week or so. If it passes all of the internal ( and external ) processes it should be available for public release a few weeks later.

Guest chucky.egg
Were currently looking at a couple of solutions to the MSN issue, watch this space.

Presumably that means there will be no solution available to the public before the Oct 15th MS deadline?

Guest NeilStewart

Be careful with the i-Mate update, particularly if you use Orange Backup or other Orange-specific stuff as it wipes the Orange stuff from the phone and, more importantly, you can't go back (unless you had a complete backup) because the phone won't be able to get a signal... 8-[

Been there, done that. :oops: Having said that, it's faster than the Orange one (menus-wise) and does include IA Album. But is this worth knackering your warranty for, especially when Mr O says the Orange Update will be within the next few weeks?

I know, I know... we've heard that before... :roll:

Guest morpheus2702
I expect to start testing the new build within the next week or so. If it passes all of the internal ( and external ) processes it should be available for public release a few weeks later.

I'm sorry, but isn't that EXACTLY what was said back in September?

I've heard of rhetorical questions... is this a rhetorical answer? :roll:

Guest chucky.egg
if it passes everything i imagine we get it.. if not, we wait..  until one that does is found...

Oh well that's OK then. :roll:

I can manage without Messenger if I have to, and the intermittent access to GPRS is fine...

Presumably Orange will issue us all with Nokia's until the times comes when they can get the SPVs working again? Shame, cos I was just starting to enjoy mine!

Guest morpheus2702
if it passes everything i imagine we get it.. if not, we wait.. until one that does is found...

I'm sorry, but are trained professionals working on this update or a bunch of chimps with a keyboard?

Is finding an update a mystic art that involves swirling round a big pot and plucking an update out of the ethereal mists?

I was always under the impression that the people that do the updates know a bit about what they are doing? They write the update and should know what does and does not work?!?

But no... shhhh, lets all be quiet and not rock the boat. :roll:

I am seriously loosing faith in the Orange company and I dont mean JUST because of the ghost like update either. We have 16 Orange registered cellular phones within these walls and I can see the LCD displays on many of them soon be displaying a little O2 logo at this rate. Orange need to stop being the last in line and start being counted. They seem to bring out lots of "super" deals for newbe customers and put the rest of us on the back burner. I am concerned that they are not being fair to existing customers much of the time. Out of all the other networks in UK my belief is that we are getting left behind and are the last to catch up.

I digress......

nixy

Guest mantrac

People... people... people...

When will you all learn to read between the lines and stop taking this literally....

It has been repeatedly proven to us that contrary to the rest of humanity, Orange measures the longest unit of time in weeks... Therefore a few weeks is often equivalent to "half a year", "one year", "infinity?".

A similar example can be found in the Bible... where God creates the world in 6 days...

It wasn't really 6 days! It was six long phases...

Orange use the same *divine* rhetorical semantics as above, demonstrating the same amount of experience around customer satisfaction, as the knowledge of film noir these office monkeys exhibit in their sad Roy Scheider commercial...

Guest midnight

and why should O rush out updates that are incomplete/buggy, requiring an update to fix an update (look at latest SAP 1.6 update for proof, in fact its almost a backwards step), O are doing the correct thing, making sure this update is ready when it is ready and not before ;)

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

My single comment before ducking back out:

In it's 2 years of existance, how many service packs have MS released for XP, for example?

out>

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

Heh, now that entirely depends on what you read and where. I've seen just as many "XP SP1 is crap" as i have "XP SP1 rocks" as i have "WinME is the best thing MS has ever made".

The next update will be a big anticlimax, it's not going to revolutionise the phone and extend its battery life by 500%.

Personally i use the latest I-Mate ROM over 1.6.

Guest morpheus2702

Hehehe, you are so right - comparing software updates is like getting the Circle Line - takes ages and gets you no-where. ;)

So is 1.6 imminent?