FAO Mr Orange - Release dates/Processor?

Guest Simon Desser

Guest Simon Desser

Welcome back Mr O ;)

Is there any chance of you giving us approximate release dates for the SPV E200 and the MPx200 :?:

Approximate/estimates will do (we won't hold you to it), at the moment all we have is wild speculation.

And also, if you could settle the "debate" of the processor speed of the E200 :?:

Thanks

Simon

Guest Mr Orange

I can't confirm any official dates for either of the two handsets.

Sorry but it's down to each local Orange country and as I have mentioned before I don't work for Orange UK or Orange France and I'm not involved in the launch process.

HTC have just confirmed the Processor speed to me as 132Mhz

Guest akarno
HTC have just confirmed the Processor speed to me as 132Mhz

That is a shame as processor speed is the main thing I would want in an upgrade. Otherwise it is little more than an SPV with a camera.

Guest Simon Desser

I'd rather have an E200 with a slower processor, than a phone with a battery that can barely last a whole day (which is what I suspect might have been the case).

Guest akarno
I'd rather have an E200 with a slower processor, than a phone with a battery that can barely last a whole day (which is what I suspect might have been the case).

The main reason the battery wouldn't last long for me would be because I would be playing gameboy games at full speed all day. Or better still SNES games.

Guest mwille

:shock: No faster processor ??

In that case no E200 for me ! That was (apart from maybe the batterylife) THE ONE MOST IMPORTANT reason for upgrading to the new SPV..

Sucks.. especially since I cant stand clamshell models like Samsung and Mitac I am going to left with very little choice but to keep my trusty Canary... :?

what about the processor speed for the MPx200?

Although a lot of people are now saying because it uses an OMAP710 it must be 132 MHz, this months What Cellphone magazine still says it is a 200MHz processor

Guest rayloh

MOT MPx200 and SPV E200 uses the same TI processor, i.e. OMAP 710 and it has a maximum supported frequency of 132MHz.

Both phones have 32MB RAM, which is why it feels much more responsive than the original SPV or Tanager although using the same processor. Seems like the Smartphone OS performs well in higher memory configurations.

As I understand, memory is also the limiting factor why the Mitac Mio 8380 can't be upgraded to Smartphone 2003, as it only have 16MB memory.

The follow on from this is that these phones may be upgradable to Smartphone 2003 - as indeed was posted briefly on a Motorla site in September before it was taken down.

Having said that I'm not sure what practical benefits Smartphone 2003 brings. Bluetooth support is not much use if the hardware doesnt support it.

I suppose it may have a better media player. Unless I am missing something I dont think the current version can cope with playlists.

Guest brntcrsp

additional benefits for moving to the 2003 OS include:

>.Net in ROM - enabling greater developer support

>newer kernel - CE .Net 4.2

>new web browser IE 5 compatible

Guest rayloh

As far as I know:

Top 10 Smartphone 2003

-----------------------------

1. .NET Compact Framework

2. New Pocket Internet Explorer (WAP 2.0, xHTML, HTML 4.0, CSS)

3. New Languages Support (Eastern Europe, Chinese, Japanese, Nordic)

4. Suspend/Resume (GSM/GPRS); Dorman Mode (CDMA/1xRTT)

5. Multiple pluggable messaging transport

6. GSM (ALS VM indicator, SIM mgmt, Line2 PIN, USSD 2, AoC etc.)

7. More customization and extensions

8. Always Up-To-Date (AUTD, Exchange 2003, SMS initiate sync on device)

9. Windows Media 9, pluggable codecs (WMA ringtone)

10. Bluetooth support (but I think no headset profile from MS, OEM needs to work on their own

Guest kingdom master

no point gettin e200, although the processor will stil run around 50 mhz faster than the e100 as it underclocked 2 around 80 somthin mhz.

Guest spacecowboy6982

What can i say...im sure most people are dissapointed with the confirmed speed. Personally, i was hoping for something super fast -and didnt really care whether or not battery life was an issue. My phone is always in its cradle when im home anyway...The only thing thats gonna make me want and need to buy the E-200, is the inbuilt camera. Now, apart from MMS capabilities, what else can this camera do? Is there a video recording suite installed, similar to that of the Nokia 6600? The Nokia

has everything the E-200 should have, apart from the crap symbian chip ! That and the other only downside to owning a Nokia is having your face or legs blown off depending on where you keep it! Seriously though, it's gonna be a hard choice for me to make.

SpaceCowboy

So..... are both phones running Smartphone 2002 still or is the E200 going to have 2003?

Also, ehat exactly are the differences between the chip in these phones and the ARM720 in the SPV?

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

Extra mem and BT will still make it a winner for me.

Kingdom: are you sure you aren't confusing that with the (84mhz) Radio CPU?

Guest clv101

Can someone confirm is the original SPV also ran at 132MHz, so infact the SPV/E100 and E200 all run at the same speed? Someone said the original SPV was at 80MHz, if this is the case the E200 is a decent increase.

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

From what we were told the HTC (and presumably other handsets) have a "dual CPU" setup, one 132mhz chip for OS-side stuff and one 80ish mhz chip for radio operations. I would assume the SPV2 will have similar.

As for the SPV2's 132mhz CPU, bleh, sorry. All evidence indicated towards a faster CPU, and it's probably been kept the same just to spite me. Still, BT and camera still make it a winner for me...

Fine, so we have sorted the processor debate..... but......

can somebody (Mr Orange...) confirm the operating systems of both the E200 and the MPX 200.

It has been widely assumed that only the E200 will have SP2003, but then it was also assumed it would have a faster processor.

It looks as though the advantages of the E200 over the MPX are quickly diminshing..... Ok so the E200 has a camera, but personally I am starting to prefer the idea of having something that at least looks different to my SPV.... especially if it turns out that both phones will still be running SP2002.

Cheers

Rossy

Guest morpheus2702

I would have thought it would've HAD to have Smartphone 2003 for the Bluetooth support alone...

... unless they've binned that too? :wink:

Guest neuronisis

Shame about the cpu speed :cry: :cry: . I was looking forward to seeing the difference on the emulators and video play back. Ho hum, i think i will keep my SPV for now until something more attractive comes along! ;)

the main improvement for me is the camera being built in, there's no point in having a camera if you have to clip it on as far as i'm concerned. You lose the whole 'moment' of seeing something you want to MMS or e-mail to someone if you have to fumble around trying to find the damn thing. and that's if you can be bothered to carry it around with you!

Maybe it's just me....