Orange unveils SPV E200

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul [MVP]

No no, camera records at QVGA (352 x 288)?

I've no idea what it saves as or where, WMV would be sensible, but you never know.

Apparently it can record straight to SD, or onto the phone.

P

Guest Gorskar

Theres a few screenshots on smartphony.org showing the bluetooth, the multiple email accounts and the built in callerID software, which looks very much like IA callerID.

A very nice looking phone indeed.

Still think I'll hold my breath for the faster processor though... I got until January before my contract expires anyway, so maybe the ASUS will be out then (if it hasnt evaporated) or possibly the mitac 8390 or the next motorola phone. Any of those puppies would do me nicely :mrgreen:

Guest www.msmobiles.com
"]Here is what I think is the best bit... MS have provided a native MMS client in Smartphone 2003! This means no more EZOS client, and the MS client is a vast improvement.

Activesync over Bluetooth is supported in the base OS, so that will work, but the Headset profile needs to be implemented by the OEM - I think it's safe to assume that HTC have implemented this, although I haven't personally tested it.

P

A. I don't believe in native MMS. It is like science-fiction, like saying that Bill Gates is programming Java each day. I don't believe it. It is probably jMMS from this Indian company - so that you couldn't spot it. (I was nagging Juha Christansen and others in past why there is no native MMS in past, but they were insisting that it will not be added)

B. they'd better add headset support because otherwise I will spank Orange ...

Guest Simon Desser
"]FYI, the press release was given to me in paper format, which I then had to retype, for the 5am release deadline. I was very disappointed to see all the smartphone news sites then using this retyped release, and not crediting their source, tut tut!

And in most cases crediting the WRONG source :roll:

I haven't seen the egg timer at all in the period I had to play with it.
;)/

If this carries on it will be truly amazing! Right, here's what I want to know: Will it be sold App Locked? And if so will we be able to unlock it? Is it backwards compatible to all my programs from 2k2?

I'm sure these have been asked before but now we can have hard facts, not speculation. :wink:

Not sure if you'll know these, but figured I'd ask just in case...

- Just curious if the voice record button is still for activating voice notes or what?

- Can you have individual ringtones per contact?

- Any new interesting home plug-ins (maybe even an alarm plug in)?

- Can you sync with more than one email inbox?

- Will all day appointments set to remind you a week in advance (i.e. birthday) work correctly (currently all day appointments don't give you a reminder)?

- Does it take time for the screen to draw/fill in your monthly calendar or is it there just as quick as you view the monthly calendar?

- Built in voice tags for voice dialing?

- Can you initiate an SMS directly from the contacts screen by moving the joystick to the right/left, choosing SMS, and hitting call (or similar button)?

- How is the task list program (alot better than 2002 I hope!)?

- Built in task manager / file manager / reg edit / alt+tab (i.e. X-Bar) / syncable Notes/Notepad?

- More secure design for holding an SD in place (I know we shouldn't be dropping the phones anyways ;) )?

its got 32Mb of RAM, we know from previous information. 

So it should be of comparable speed to the motorola mp200x, but of course there is the overhead of the fluffed out operating system, and whos to say how sp2003 will affact preformance without testing it. Paul?

It has got 32mb of ram - and its another type of ram making it a whole lot faster than anything before. This time HTC used Nand ram instead of Estrada and I find the hardware very very attractive...

- Just curious if the voice record button is still for activating voice notes or what?

Voice button is now a camera button.

- Any new interesting home plug-ins (maybe even an alarm plug in)?
Homescreen is xhtml - not xml - which is absolutely interesting..

- Can you sync with more than one email inbox?

Sync with up to 5 mailboxes.

- Does it take time for the screen to draw/fill in your monthly calendar or is it there just as quick as you view the monthly calendar? 
Takes a quarter sec to draw monthly calendar.

Can you initiate an SMS directly from the contacts screen by moving the joystick to the right/left, choosing SMS, and hitting call (or similar button)? 

Yep..

- More secure design for holding an SD in place (I know we shouldn't be dropping the phones anyways  )?

Nope..

/Jakob

Guest spacecowboy6982

I think it would be best for everyone if someone who is lucky enough to have one of these badboys - (if they dont mind) to write a full review detailing the differences between the original and the new. Its the small things that count too, even if they're not technical ! Now the phon eis somewhat in the public domain, its more likely we'll get an honest review !

Cheers,

SpaceCowboy

Guest rikwebb

Mr Orange,

Do you have any idea when these will be available in the UK, dates keep floating about but nobody is sure!.

If it is due soon, you should be aware??

Cheers

Rik

:wink:

Guest Simon Desser
all of the e200's at the ITU have a blue backlight.  Posted from my SmartPhone!

Yeah, but all Tanager backlights were green, until Orange released the E100 :?:

Guest www.msmobiles.com
all of the e200's at the ITU have a blue backlight.  Posted from my SmartPhone!

what else is interesting at the ITU conference?

I will be there tomorrow (i.e. Sunday) and on Monday... and I woud like to take maximum number of pictures and information...

Dear wirefree90, could you recomend me something there? Which stand is showing what?

Guest danm_cool
its got 32Mb of RAM, we know from previous information.  

So it should be of comparable speed to the motorola mp200x, but of course there is the overhead of the fluffed out operating system, and whos to say how sp2003 will affact preformance without testing it. Paul?

Speed is due to ce 4.2, I use Platform Builder of Microsoft (the one that generates the rom images), and I can tell you there is a huge difference between ce 3.0 (smartphone 2002) and 4.x(smartphone 2003).

Memory does not count too much, actual memory of spv is mostly enough.

By the way, the compatibility of the software is not too sure. There are lots of new things in ce 4.2 and lots of changes. Some software may work, but most of them wouldn't.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.