T-Mobile, MPx200 Decertification - HELP Needed !!

Guest nickp

Greetings All,

I recently purchased a Motorola MPx200 from my AT&T dealer. I SIM unlocked the phone in order to have it function on the T-Mobile network. BUT, the phone has some idiosyncricies.

After some research on the various forums, I was informed I needed to "decertify" the phone since it is running MS Smartphone 2002.

I have searched this site without sucess. Anyone out there have any thoughts on how to do this and if it is necessary ??

My issues are as follows:

- Caller ID does not appear on external screen

- Caller ID, number only, shows on internal screen, until I answer the call. Then after a few seconds the name appears once the call is answered. (This is obviously only true for numbers contained in my Contacts file)

- Approx 1 second delay in being able to hear and speak once call is answered.

- AT&T MLife icon, AT&T Welcome screen on startup and "AT&T Wireless Services" logo when making a call, are all still present and can not be removed.

- Can not connect to the WAP server for T-Mobile. And Yes, I have checked and double checked my settings. I can browse using IE, but can not get to wap.myvoicestream.com. I do have a GPRS connection active when using IE.

I am fairly certain that it is not a network issue due to the fact my other unlocked (non-Smartphone OS) phones, with this SIM, work perfectly on all issues described. Do I have a bad phone ??

Thanks and sorry for the lengthy message ..........

Thanks,

Guest nytehawk2002
After some research on the various forums, I was informed I needed to "decertify" the phone since it is running MS Smartphone 2002.

- AT&T MLife icon, AT&T Welcome screen on startup and "AT&T Wireless Services" logo when making a call, are all still present and can not be removed.

- Can not connect to the WAP server for T-Mobile.  And Yes, I have checked and double checked my settings.  I can browse using IE, but can not get to wap.myvoicestream.com.  I do have a GPRS connection active when using IE.

I am fairly certain that it is not a network issue due to the fact my other unlocked (non-Smartphone OS) phones, with this SIM, work perfectly on all issues described.  Do I have a bad phone ??

Nick,

Congratulations on your purchase and subsequent rebellion against T-Mobile USA.

P.S. You will now find out how bad T-Mobile support really is.

Let me see if I can help you. Decertifying the phone, I'm assuming you're talking about allowing the phone to run "unsigned" applications. This won't resolve any of the issues you're talking about.

Asthetics

The logos thing are really no big sweat. There's a file in Windows folder of your phone called ms_mobile.gif It's the source of the provider logo. I have attached my copy of the ms_mobile.gif it has the T-Mobile logo in it. Place the file in your IPSM folder directly.

You need to do a registry hack on the phone to get it to work. So grab a registry editor for your phone and install it.

Next open your registry and go to HKLM --> Software , Microsoft, Shell, Rai, :MSCDial Once there view values and you'll find a key "BannerImage" the value of this should be set to IPSMms_mobile.gif

This will replace all of the custom network provider logos on the whole phone.

Not having this phone, I can tell you it will be a similar thing to change any other logos on the phone. The only logo you cannot change is the one that appears immediately after powering the phone up. It will display a rom logo for a second or two then it will show a "BootScreen" which is easily replaceable. When shutting down there is another "Bootscreen" that can be changed. They are either ms_splash.gif or carrier_splash.gif. I haven't changed mine because I have a generic Smartphone 2002 splash on it. Again another registry hack is in order. I'm not sure where that key is. If I find it I will reply.

WAP and T-Mobile

I have found that T-Mobile's own WAP site doesn't work with my SPV either. I had my start page set to mobile.msn.com for a while but T-Mobile has blocked that site for some unknown reason. I now go to www.google.com and it formats fine for my screen. Yes GPRS is working when IE is bringing you a page. You should also download Agile Messenger so you can use MSN, AIM, YAHOO and ICQ on your phone. Since most people here in the U.S. use AIM.

T-Mobile USA Settings for SPV Smartphones Incase you need them:

Band Selection: PCS Band

Networks: Automatic

SMS Service Center: +12063030004 Must have + in there!!!

Data Settings

Primary DNS: 216.155.165.50

Secondary IP address: 216.155.165.50

Access Point Name: wap.voicestream.com

Profile Name: GPRS

Username: Blank

Other Oddities

Of course the people at T-Mobile doesn't know anything about your phone and it isn't supported blah blah... but lie and tell them you have a PocketPC phone editon and they magically become a bit more helpful.

I get a lot of dropped calls, which I'm hoping will be fixed with this 1.6 update from Orange. This probably will not help your Motorolla phone. And the final oddity I find is that sometimes for no obvious reason my phone switches from T-Mobile to Voicestream (T-Mo's former company name) They claim it's from when they do maintenence on the towers and switch to their secondary system. It's been over a month they've been on their "Secondary" system in this area and I'm not aware of any recent apocalypses involving cell Towers so either they lie or something bad happened up in the sky.

Good luck.. let me know how you make out.. Sorry for the even longer reply to an long post. :)

ms_mobile.gif

Guest soccerwrek

So, you're not able to access T-Mobile's WAP site either? Well, at least I don't have to keep combing the net trying to figure why I can't access the site from my phone now.

Guest nickcornaglia

I can also confirm that WAP under TMobile has NEVER worked for me on 2 SPVs and a Mitac.

I don't know why exactly and no one....even here....can give me a clear answer. In the end, I don't really know what you would need WAP for anyway. It's slow and everything you need and more is available via GPRS.

Even though you SIM Unlocked your phone, your phone has been manufactured for AT&T and has been branded as such. SO the screens will not go away just by unlocking your phone. Registry tweaks are the only way to change these.

There are may skins that have made that replace the startup and shutdown screens via registry hacks. (Search for Startup or Shutdown, or look in the Homescreens Download section for some really cool skins.)

Application decertification is another thing altogether. You have sucessfully SIM Unlocked your phone but you have not Application Unlocked your phone. Application Locking allows only software that has been approved as safe to run on the OS. Certification allows the Network to control which programs can be installed onto the phone, restricting the number of conficts that certain software can cause, reducing the number of CS calls that they get and fix because of all of the software that is out there.

That said...SPVs & Mitacs both were originally Application Locked but have been unlocked, thanks to the ingenuity of users and eventually Orange releasing their own Over the Air OTA method of app unlocking (supposedly for developers but all Orange phone users can access it) Mitac has followed suit in the same way.

No news yet AFAIK on how to app unlock the Motorolas. App Unlocking opens up a whole new world of programs for the phones. It will only be a matter of time before someone fugures it out or ATT provides the unlocking method themselves.

As far as the caller ID problem....you may need to wait for more MPX200 users to pop up until they can identify. It has been mentioned to you in another post that International calling format may be necessary to make this function correctly. Although I cant try this myself, I am hoping you can.

I would hope this is not the case as we don't use international calling format in the US....and I don't know much about it....but it's worth trying.

Change your home number to +15556667777 format...then call you phone from home. See if that works for you. Of course, your home phone needs to be a listed number but you know what I mean.

Please let us know if this works.

T-Zones WAP site should work on the Smartphone :?

I think the problem is that T-mobiles network is not setup to recognise the Smartphone as a capable WAP browser so it is refused the WML version of T-zones. To access T-zones WAP the program WebWapSelect is used to change the header Id to Nokia 7650 :wink:

There was a topic on the microsoft forum where it was eventually reported to work on the SPV. I can't remember who I was talking to or what settings I gave but it was probably this.

Install WebWapSelect and select WAP option.

Set IE to WAP network and untick auto detect settings.

Access wsp://wap.myvoicestream.com

(WebWapSelect can be found on www.monolithix.org under Smartphone Freeware)

I only ever remember one person report back to say it was working so i would be interested to know if others have any luck. I suppose WebWapSelect should also work on the MIO or MPX200 but i'm not sure if anyones tried it.

I have never been able to connect to the wap myvoicestream.com either... It would be nice to do this for the speed of WAP...

I just tried this below and it said 'Finding site...' in the title bar and then brought up an alert that said 'The page you are looking for cannot be found.'

Install WebWapSelect and select WAP option.  

Set IE to WAP network and untick auto detect settings.  

Access wsp://wap.myvoicestream.com

- Then tried ticking the auto detect, same results

- Then changed IE from WAP to Internet, same results

- Then changed WebWapSelect from WAP to SPV with auto detect on and IE on Internet, same results

- Then with WebWapSelect on SPV I tried it with auto detect off and IE on WAP, same results

It seems the only way I get anything is with WebWapSelect on SPV, auto detect on, IE on Internet and type in the address http://www.myvoicestream.com

This takes me to their web version, which does fit quite nicely on the screen, but I have to log in each time, which is annoying (unless I'm doing something wrong?!), even when I check 'save user name and password'! It's also very slow and gets frustrating trying to navigate through the menus...

As for the caller ID... I have an SPV, not a Moto, so I don't have a small external screen... and I'm not sure why it would work differently on the Moto, but here are some results in a few tests I just did with my SPV...

Test A: +1 (727) 123-4567 = Name and number is displayed (number displayed is 17271234567)

Test B: (727) 123-4567 = same as test A

Test C: 727-123-4567 = Displayed just the number for a fraction of a second, then the same as test A

Test D: 7271234567 = same as test A

Test E: 1234567 = same as test A!!! That one surprised me... That is pretty smart!

Test F: 234567 = (just to be sure I'm not missing something here I deleted the first number after the area code 727)... same as test A!! Now I really don't understand how this is possible??? My SIM itself doesn't have my home phone number on it either... At this point I'm thinking my tests must not be accurate and I must be overlooking something???

Test G: I deleted my home phone number all together and rebooted. This time just the number showed up (17271234567)!! OK, now this makes sense...

Test H: I then just added 234567 again and again same results as test A!!! :shock:

I deleted my call history and soft rebooted before each test just to be sure... All tests were done calling from my home phone to my mobile and both have the same area codes. I am using the I-Mate 1.5 ROM.

Strange....

So the Moto is app locked, huh? I didn't know that... that sucks... I'm sure some smarter people then I when it comes to that will have a solution in the future.

yoos

Did you also try WebWapSelect=WAP and http://wap.voicestream.com with IE ticked. I assume that you can connect to other WAP sites ie http://www.google.com/wml

Note: http:// will use the SPV internet connection.

I'll have to find the original topic where it was reported to be working. I think it was in the microsoft forum (via MoDaco) and I'm sure it was Kris_Kumar. Anbody spoke to Kris recently ?

Great Stuff Guys......THANKS !! I will let you know how the registry tweeks go.

As far as the Caller ID thing, it seems to be a processor issue with the Moto. I originally sync'd all 568 Contacts entries (with multiple Tel numbers in each) to my MPx200 from Outlook 2002. The way the OS works when a call comes in is to search the entire Contacts list for the incoming number. By the time it makes it's way through all xxx hundred numbers, the ringing stops and the call goes into VM, without displaying the CID. The way I verified this and resolved it for now was to create a separate Category in my Outlook Contacts called "Cell Phone". I then added all of my important contacts into this category and sync'd just that category to my phone. I now have approx 140 entries, each with multiple numbers, and the Caller ID displays within 2-3 rings, on the external display. The closer the number is to the front of the Contacts list, the quicker it displays.

A real pain the arsh because you would expect to be able to throw away your PDA and carry all contact informaiton in the phone. Maybe next generation.

The only caviat to my process is that I sync'd with Outlook 2002 where Motorola recommends using Outlook 2000, and provides a copy on the CD. I contacted Moto Cust Supp and they told me 2002 is OK but should really use 2000. Does anyone have any input on differences in contact formatting btwn 2000 and 2002 ??? I am willing to try the 2000 method, but doubt it will have much of an effect, since the phone still has to sort through all of those internal numbers.

Whew.......................

All of my hacking worked tonight. I managed to replace the AT&T logo with T-Mobile on the dial up screen, and get rid of the AT&T mLIFE start up screen and replace it with the same T-Mobile logo.

Thanks to nytehawk2002 in this forum, lmatherne3 on Howards forum and all who contributed.

The T-Mo logo gif file is attached. Save it to your IPSM directory on your MPx phone.

To get rid of the dial up screen logo, do the following;

- Launch PHM Registry Editor (Can be downloaded and installed right to your Smartphone from the following site. http://www.phm.lu/Products/Smartphone/RegEdit/

When you log onto the site from your MPx phone, just download the CAB version. It will install it automatically. )

Once the registry editor is launched go to ;

- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

- Software

- Microsoft

- Shell

- Rai

- MSCdial

Press the "Values" softkey

Scroll down to "Banner Image" and press the blue ACTIONS key

Replace " windowsbranding_brick.gif" with "IPSMms_mobile.gif"

Press "Done" softkey

Keep pressing the Back key until you are out of the Registry Editor

Press Home key.

Power cycle the phone.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To Change the AT&T mLIFE boot up screen, do the following;

- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

- Software

- Microsoft

- Splash Screen

Scroll down to "MSBitmap" and press the blue ACTIONS key

Replace " windowsmLifebootup.gif" with "IPSMms_mobile.gif"

Press "Done" softkey

Press Home key.

Power cycle the phone.

If you want to change the Microsoft Smartphone 2002 boot screen, the other entry in the Splash Screen, "CarrierBitmap" can be replaced with whatever gif you want. I elected to use the same T-Mobile gif for all changes. I am certain you can use any gif as long as it is the correct size. I am not certain what that size is........ 128x128, etc...

Take your time and be carefull !!! If you get into trouble during the entry process, press the "Cancel" key and start over.

Good Luck !!!!!!!

ms_mobile.gif

The logos thing are really no big sweat.   There's a file in Windows folder of your phone called ms_mobile.gif   It's the source of the provider logo.   I have attached my copy of the ms_mobile.gif it has the T-Mobile logo in it.    Place the file in your IPSM folder directly.

Is it just me, or am I not seeing the files that were attached?

Wait till the gif appears and then right click on it, do a Save Picture As and save it to your hard drive.

I just looked at the post and it was there. If you still have problems, email me at [email protected] and I will send you the file.

thx........

Forgot one item. The above process will delete the logo when you are entering numbers to dial, on the keypad, but when you press "Talk", another AT&T logo will appear on that screen. To change that one, do the following;

- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

- Software

- Microsoft

- Shell

- Rai

- MSCprog <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Scroll down to "Banner Image" and press the blue ACTIONS key

Replace " windowsbranding_brick.gif" with "IPSMms_mobile.gif"

Press "Done" softkey

Press Home key.

Power cycle the phone.

Thanks............

:roll:

nickp - did you get the WebWapSelect program to allow you access to the T-Zones home page?

another note: i'm not sure that the MPX needs to be decertified... i've installed several apps and they appear to be working without issue.

if any of my US friends disagree, please chime in!

Guest awarner [MVP]

I have also seen posts saying that the mpx200 is app unlocked this is

decided by the operator not a standard feature on the phone.

The simple way to see if it is locked is by running one of the many apps on

www.monolithix.org Try SPVman then relive all those retro years :)

If you get an error saying about lack of privilages etc post about it here.

I might of read to quickly, but has any one figured out why the caller ID is showing up on the Motorola MPx200 as it does on the Orange SPV?

Since I am not familiar with the SPV, can you be more specific?