MPx200 Questions - voice dialing and home page icons

Guest kberk001

Guest kberk001

hiya guys. couple of questions for those of you who have the mpx200...

i have an incredibly finicky scroll wheel on the unit i've just picked up. it is nearly impossible to activate voice dialing, as attempting to press the scroll wheel in always turns the volume up or down instead, so

1) is this an issue with my unit in particular, or is everyone experiencing this?

2) does anyone know of a way to make a link to the voice-dialing app? i would love to add that to the home page as the first clickable icon if i can't get the scroll wheel to work reliably.

3) i saw an image of someone's home screen that had 8-10 small program icons on their main screen, though i don't understand how it was accomplished, which leads me to...

4) lastly, and i feel like a total idiot for this, but i don't get the whole 'tweaks' thing. is there one particular place or file that the code is being added to, or does it depend on the tweak? btw, i do understand the registry change ones, but i'm not as sure about the .xml editing ones (i.e. i 'think' i found the code for adding multiple, small program icons to the home page but i don't know where it's supposed to go!)

thanks for the help in advance!

K-

Guest Richie M

Hi and welcome to the site :)

First off i didnt know the MPX200 had voice dialing enabled :shock: as although there are menu options for it it was never enabled on the SPV or E100 :?

Concerning your other points about you are refering to homescreens, have a look in our two Customisation sections, and have a read of the microsoft's whitepaper on editing them http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default....2homescreen.asp

FYI ultimately the homescreen XML's will live in /IPSM/Application Data/Home - but the default ones are in the /Windows directory

Guest awarner [MVP]

With regards to using the phone controls it could just be a matter of

getting used to them, we had a similar problem when the SPV first

came out the 5way D pad initially took some getting used to.

Guest smittyofdhs

the post above about the scroll being difficult to get use to is not correct. The scroll wheel does have some problems with it, it's not just your unit. There are tons of the same complaint over at the ATTWS forums regarding the same issue. You can push the button the EXACT same way 5 times and only once will it work correctly. It's too sensitive and will not work correctly most of the time. Not sure if it's software or hardware related. Hopefully the can fix this in the future without having to recall the device.

I haven't found a way to shortcut to voice app so I installed Fonix Voice Dial which works much better then the voice tags.

all the features of the home screen are in the XML file used to display the screen. Copy the Full.Home.XML file from the windows directory to your PC and open it with notepad. Using that and the link given above should help you better understand how to tweak or customize your home screen.

• 2 weeks later...

It's very frustrating to activate voice dialing using the Jogdial. 9/10 times I would get earpiece volumn adjustment bar. I asked couple of my friends at work to try. None of them successfully activated voice dialing at the first try. I think it's hardware issue. Many people have this problem. : This phone needs to be recalled :evil:

the jog dial is definitely buggy, but with a little practice, i can get the voice dial to work around 90% of the time. the key is to give a single, quick firm press all the way in. wimpy press, and the phone thinks you're adjusting the volume.

Guest Shuflie

You have to hold it in to activate voice tags, but as posted earlier fonix is a much better solution, unless you want to use voice tags to start apps or call someone on something other than their work/home/mobile/pager number. Would be nice if Fonix had options for work2 and car phone as I sometimes use these for people with lots of different numbers.

Guys, i had trouble with voice-dial on the first day. Almost gave up recoding voice-dial for my contacts. Later i observed that any shaky press is leading to earpiece volume change. To increase success in voice-dialling, i push the jog-dial with thumb-nail straight from the small handle on the dial. It has to go deep to the end, without doubt or being conscious about getting to volume change. Sausage-fingers will find it troublesome to use nails but i'm sure they will find a way too. May be giving a look at mannual and diagram about it will give you clue to set your own style.

Surely, this would have been difficult to get used to without the forum. I'm a happy bunny after finding the way that suits me.

Best luck to find yours who hasn't yet.

Guest opbyrne

Maybe i've got sausage fingers cos i cant get the voice dialling to work more than 1 or 2 out of 10 times. Did anyone come up with a way link the voice dialling app to the home screen or do i need to get Fonix Voice Dial?

Cheers

• 1 month later...
Guest mike-oh
the jog dial is definitely buggy, but with a little practice, i can get the voice dial to work around 90% of the time.  the key is to give a single, quick firm press all the way in.  wimpy press, and the phone thinks you're adjusting the volume.

Yup firm is indeed the order of the day. 7 out of ten times now, sure to improve with practice.

Any chance this function could be mapped to the button on the headset? Very handy when using hands free?

Any luck with a plugin?

Guest dharden

tried that tip about pressing the jog dial hard for voice dialling - 100% success rate! It really needs something doing about it though - it lets an excellent phone down.

The really annoying bit on the voice dialling is that you can't activate it from the personal handsfree kit, even though there's a button for answering / finishing calls.

My old samsung T100 did this, but the voice recognition was terrible. Now i have a phone with excellent voice recognition which is all but useless!

don't suppose there are any tweaks to get the handsfree to use voice dialling?.............

Guest lawsonium

I had a 0% success rate with voice notes and dialing but now with the new improved sharp dig technique this thread has developed I am now able to say I have a 90-100% success with both functions (holding down for a second or two for dial option obviously).

Great :):)