MMS on US MPx200 theory/idea. Looking for input.

Guest Sarc

I have a US version of the MPx200 running on AT&T's service, and thus have no MMS capabilities. Old news I know.

I don't know how the UK version impliments MMS, but I was curious as to anyone's speculation if it would be possible to copy the app, if it is a app, out of the UK version and install it in the US version?

Just a theory here, may be completely bogus, but doesn't hurt to ask right?

Thanks for reading.

great thread, but a ? question from major newbie..?

Even if we U.S. ATT users get the app, are we not still at the mercy of ATT to provide a MMS server? We cant just install it and go, right? or can we?

Guest alphaflux

Well, the UK version comes with the Orange MMS profile enabled by default and as such uses the local operator server. However, the application also comes pre-defined with a number of generic MMS server profiles. I have tried Logica MMS and that works ok. The profiles just comprise an IP address, login name and password that are used via GPRS. Therefore there should be no reason it won't work over there, unless AT&T specifically block the MMS servers themselves (which is possible). However, until the software is made available by one means or another its a bit of a mute point.

I would still love to help you guys, but as you know I have my reservations about posting the software. I suggested contacting Paul [MVP]the other day, not realising that he was expecting a new arrival (congratulations Paul). So, maybe one of the other moderators would be a better choice to ask ... "awarner" or "Richie M" seem to be the main frequenters of the MPx forum. I still guess they are at a loss as to whether it is legal as well though, or we would have seen a post to this thread by now. :?

As has been suggested, the ROM is the other avenue of getting this functionality, but whether you are prepared to take the risk is your choice ! :twisted:

Alphaflux.

Even if we U.S. ATT users get the app, are we not still at the mercy of ATT to provide a MMS server? We cant just install it and go, right? or can we?

To get MMS you must purchase MMS service from your provider (be it AT&T, Tmobile or whoever). For example, T-Mobile calls it 'picture messaging service' and it's a few extra bucks a month.

Once you get the service you need to configure the phone in both the data-connections and MMS setup areas. Here's a cut/paste of a message about this I posted on another board:

---------------------------

I use T-Mobile and got MMS working earlier this week. FYI, I'm using T-Mo' in California. Your milage may vary with other carriers or locations.

(1) Get the MMS ("picture Messaging") service added to your account. Without it you can only send andnot receive MMS.

(2) Add a connection under settings->data connections->menu->edit connections->GPRS connections.

Call it "t-mobile MMS" or whatever you'd like.

Set "connects to" as MMS Connection

Access point: wap.voicestream.com

Leave the rest of the fields blank and save.

(3) Add your MMS configs under programs->accessories->mms settings

Go to Profile. Pick one of the profiles, and select Profiles->Edit

Name it "T-mobile" or similar.

MMSC: http://216.155.174.84/servlets/mms

Data Connection: (Use the one created in step #2!)

Gateway: Wap1.0 gateway

IP Address: 216.155.165.050

Port: 9201

encoding: Binary

Hit "done" then activate the profile you just edited (select it, then profile->select)

You should now be good to go. The numbers/ip's/etc in this message were pulled from the T-Mobile site and are accurate as of the timestamp of this message. I've been able to send MMS's between my MPx200 and my friend's phones, including a T610 and a Samsung (don't remember the model).

Hope this helps!

Bought it at Fry's. Unlocked it via www.unlockitnow.com. Flashed to the generic Motorola build as per the messages over on the www.mpx200.org forums (firmware subforum). Done. :lol:

Oh, earlier this week.

Doh, I miss read your post thinking you said last week, and I knew the Generic ROM didn't come out till a few days ago. :wink:

Are you ok with the fact that your warranty is now voided? :lol:

Guest PDAZealot

Gang, the following was posted by Lazarus of ATTWS[Engineer] at another forum. I know he's following the company line, but it would be appreciated if someone would please actually see if they can get a decent 900 signal when using the generic ROM. Lazarus made it sound like you would get a really crappy 900mhz signal, if at all. Anyone tried this yet?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.pocketpcpassion.com/forum/showt...31&pagenumber=2

Question for Lazarus on Generic MPX200 Firmware

Lazarus,

I'm sure you've seen the generic MPX200 firmware that has been floating around the internet recently. It's purportedly a generic Motorola build[a very similar build to the ATTWS build version]. It also has the jMMS software still intact, as well as the 900 Band. Since I have heard of people flashing their phones back to the generic version, would you care to mention how much a of a value and improvement the tweaks that ATTWS made to the 1900 band were? Is it that considerable? Especially for someone that needs to travel with that phone to 900 only parts of the world? Please post your thoughts on this, and why this would be a bad idea, if at all. Besides the fact that it will undoubtably void the ATT warranty. :-)

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

12-04-2003 07:22 PM

Lazarus

AWSius Engineerous

Oh so many reason NOT to do it...

First and foremost - Void the warranty!

The device is not tuned for frequency in the ROM/Radio loads it is an actual hardware optimization so if you reload the firmware and you "seem" to get the 900 band back... well you may not be getting it. (to be honest I am not sure if it will actually enable the 900 band it may just show it in the UI) Even if it does the performance on the 900 band (from my understanding on what Moto told me) will be horrible. The tune for the 1900 MHz band made 900 almost reflective.

The applications may be a nice add but the effect overall is definately not worth it.

Again so no one is confused: IF YOU LOAD ANOTHER FIRMWARE LOAD ON YOUR DEVICE YOUR WARRANTY IS VOIDED! So do NOT be surprised.

The chance that reloading your device will screw it up is very high trust me.

To those of you who chance it anyway....good luck.