i600 apparently has bug preventing many apps from running!

Guest The PocketTV Team

Guest The PocketTV Team

Apparently (we still need to double-check) the i600 has bug similar to that of the Mitac Mio 8380, i.e. it is misconfigured and does not allow un-signed applications to create keys in HKLM (on the Mio 8380, the problem is with HKCR).

If this is proven to be true:

It would be quite incredible that this was not caught by Verizon and Samsung before hitting the market.

Basically the phone is app-unlocked, but it does *not* allow any un-signed app to create keys under HKLM (see details here).

It will also refuse to install apps from a CAB file that creates registry keys in HKLM (i.e. typically file association for the application's new file types).

Whaowwww...

Can anyone confirm that ?

It would be pretty bad from those guys... But they did not take a minute to work with us before their lauch. If they had, we would have caught the problem immediately!

Of course we don't have proof of that yet, just strong presumption from various reports.

Guest Paul [MVP]

The pre-release software on my e200 also has this issue, but allegedly this will be rectified before launch. At least on the e200 you can fix this by going through the Orange unlock process.

It truly is a shame that carriers don't hook up with us prior to launch to carry out testing, hopefully as the Smartphone market matures this will start to happen...

P

Guest The PocketTV Team

We need more people to send us trace with the i600.

Please read here: http://smartphone.modaco.com/viewtopic.php?t=95385

Already we found that SHIdleTimerReset does not seem to work on the i600.

We call it every 8 sec when playing, but still the screen goes blank after 1 minute when POWER SAVING TIMEOUT is set 1 minute in the Settings.

Not good... :lol:

Guest The PocketTV Team

Apparently the Samsung i600 does not have the misconfiguration problem that we suspected.

We were able to check that. Registry keys under HKCR can be created by non-signed applications on the i600 (on the Mitac Mio 8380, HKCR is incorrectly protected, and we suspected it was the same the problem on the i600).

So the reason why many non-signed applications cannot install on the i600 is still unsolved.

Guest The PocketTV Team

The Samsung i600 does not have the exact same misconfiguration problem as the Mio, i.e. it allows creating keys under HKCR, we checked that.

But we have not checked if it can create keys in HKLM, so that may be the issue causing some application to not install.

Someone should check if keys can be created under HKLM (e.g. HKLMSOFTWARE... ).

• 4 weeks later...