Updated 17/11: Paul's E200 Review

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest RussellH

I'm newly registered here and found this site after trawling the net for information about the SPV range of phones. I've been reading the posts for a few weeks now, and have finally got round to joining. A colleague at work has an E100, and I've been waiting for weeks for the E200 to launch before taking the plunge. Thank you to everyone here. This site is definitely the best around for Smartphones. Paul - you're review here on this thread helped me make the decision to buy, so particular thanks to you - great review. My two weeks are nearly up and I need to decide very soon whether to keep the E200 or to return and await the next model, hoping some of the flaws are fixed. Firstly, I must say that like many here, I eagerly awaited the launch of the E200. Now I have it, I do love it and do want to keep it, but some of its faults are important ones. For me, the call sound quality and battery life have been the most important. I spoke to Orange in the week, and they told me that despite what the manual says, I do need the initial 16 hour charge. I'm giving it that charge now, though judging by other posts here, I'm not convinced this will make a significant difference though! Other possible faults or questions I'm left with are as follows (please forgive me if this is the wrong thread - it seems like the most appropriate one to use):-

* Is Fonix voice dial compatable with any Bluetooth in-car hands free kits?

* If I use a hands free in-car kit, the speaker plugs into my cigarette lighter. How can I then charge the battery?

* Alarm stays set every day. You have to remember to switch it off at the weekend if you don't want to be woken up early!

* To activate snooze on the alarm means scrolling through a menu when you're half asleep!

* E100 has "SIM Manager". E200 doesn't appear to. How can I transfer my SIM contacts to phone?

* When holding the phone during a call, it's easy to accidentally adjust volume or go to camera, as my thumb is across the side of the phone where the buttons are.

* Zoom doesn't appear to work when taking a photo

* Video recorder has no audio - have I done something stupid?

I do have a few other issues, though these are minor, and I'm conscious that I'm going on a bit!

Best wishes, and thanks Modaco for a great site.

Russell

* Zoom doesn't appear to work when taking a photo  

* Video recorder has no audio - have I done something stupid?

The zoom does work but only when you have the camera set to a lower resolution than the top one. The video recorder does record sound, i'm not too sure what you're doing wrong there but i have noticed that on the rare occasion the playback of videos doesnt play audio, a reload of the file fixes this though, maybe this is your problem?!

Guest RussellH

Hello again and thanks for the reply. To be honest, every time I speak to Orange about some of the problems, I get different responses from different people. They are always very polite, but don't seem to know the answers. This morning, they even told me that many of the problems including the sound quality on calls could be fixed by downloading updated software from them. I'm sure if this were the case, I'd have read about it here! Discovered a new thing today too. Got an SMS, wanted to save it to contacts, pressed that option, but it didn't remember the mobile number from the SMS to contacts. Had to look it up in my old organiser. Today's the last day of my 14 before I'm tied in for a year, so I've decided to return it for now. Will get one again when the problems have been ironed out. Who knows - maybe the price will have come down, or maybe there'll soon be an E300 or something with everything working like it should! Do hope so, as this phone would be perfect if only it worked right.

Guest spacecowboy6982

Can anyone see an E-300 coming out before October next year :?: I remember some people had the SPV for like 3 months then the E-100 came out. Lets hope they dont pull another fast one and that they concentrate their efforts on the E-200 :lol:

• 7 months later...
Guest the loc-man

Just read this post again, gonna upgrade to a e200, considering the new c500 is coming is the e200 still a good phone?

speed wise, cam (vid recording) BT, screen etc I have a SPV Origianl at the mo

cheers

LOC

Guest squall

Its a big improvement on the E200, and if you dont want to wait on the new phones, or dont want to pay lots then yeah its worth getting the e200

Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest the loc-man

Yes I will get one for free on a Orange upgrade @£25/month tariff. I know the C500 is small but it looks ugly to me. also the Mini-SD is a put off for me.

Also will prob have to pay £100 you reckon?? on my tariff.

any1 else?

cheers

Guest Toyota-F1.com
Yes I will get one for free on a Orange upgrade @£25/month tariff. I know the C500 is small but it looks ugly to me. also the Mini-SD is a put off for me.

Also will prob have to pay £100 you reckon?? on my tariff.

any1 else?

cheers

I really really really like my Orange SPV E200, it's the best phone I've seen, and I am 99.9% not going to replace it with a C500 - I agree, it's ugly :twisted: .

:D

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.