E200 is in stores NOW - First E200 tweak released

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul [MVP]

Update: This tweak does not install on Retail E200s - we are currently investigating, watch this space...

That's right, the first E200 deliveries are now hitting Orange shops - so you can get your grubby little hands on one today!

So what better way to celebrate than releasing the first of many upcoming tweaks for the E200?

Myself (Paul_[MVP]) and Midnight have produced a tasty little CAB file that activates ClearType on your E200 for fantastic looking fonts!

Simply install the attached CAB file, restart your phone, and enjoy!

Portal viewers will need to click 'View Comments' to see the download, and downloads are only available to logged in users.

NOTE: This system-wide ClearType tweak only functions on Smartphone 2003

P

Cleartype.CAB

Guest wbloore

I wondered why there was no cleartype on my brand new E200. I thought it came as standard.

Anyway, the tweak doesn't work on my E200 either. I get the following error when I try to run the CAB on my phone:

"Installation failed. The program or setting cannot be installed because it does not have adequate system permissions."

Guest wbloore
try de-certing before installing it (from www.developers.orange.com).

perhpas it has the old security policy *so you still need to unlock it first* ?

I was under the impression that all software should run on the E200 without requiring the phone to be decerted (except software which accesses priviledged APIs). I've also read that the old decert method will not work with SP2003 and SP2002 v1.6+.

This is similar but for CE 3y think.

Pocket PC 2002 now allows you to smooth the edges of screen fonts using ClearType.

Here is how to enable or disable it :

Browse to HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftShell

If it doesn't exist already, create a DWORD value named "ClearType".

Set the "ClearType" value data to 1 to enable ClearType, or 0 to disable it.

:roll:

Guest spacecowboy6982

This is worrying. Is it just your app Paul & Mid. that wont work on E-200's or am I sadly guessing its going to be like this until the phone is properly de-certed for all emu's etc ?

Cheers

SpaceCowboy

Guest spacecowboy6982

Intersting - Im sure it'll all get figured out soon enough ;)

Off Tpoic: Just noticed in my "thread notification" email that key words suck as "Tweak" appear as a direct link, nice touch !! If only I can get the address thread the same ! :lol:

spacecowboy

Guest wbloore
so has anyone actually done http://smartphone.MoDaCo.com/viewtopic.php?t=22908>OTA unlock on an e2000? Posted from my SmartPhone!

Contrary to what I had been led to believe, OTA unlocking does work on the E200, and Paul/Midnight's tweak will work after the phone has been through OTA unlocking.

Thanks guys. ClearType is sooo much better! It looks a little blurred at first, but I think that's more a problem with my eyes:)

Guest Pagemakers

Can they not re-tweak their tweak so it works with out-of-the-box e200's?

I think far fewer people will unlock their e200s and there seems no need anymore.

Right, call me naive but whats a cleartype font?

If you've got Windows XP, on desktop, right click>>Properties>>appearance>>effects>>and now tick the box next to the text that says "use the following method to smooth fonts", or something like that, and from the drop down box select "cleartype" ;)

It does what that does to the text on your PC, to the text on the phone, it smooths it all out for ya, instead of it being jaggedy :lol: