Startup/shutdown

Guest Raz101

Quick question, anyone know why the phone comes with startup and shutdown noises if they don't get used when you switch on/off or there's seemingly nowhere to define them? Is this in the registry?

Guest alphaflux

It seems strange that the options are not configurable via the Smartphone user interface, but agree that they are not there. By default there are no startup or shutdown sounds assigned. However, they are, as you suggest, configurable via the registry.

The base key you need is HKEY_CURRENT_USERControlPanelSounds, under there are all the sounds configured on the system. Each entry has a number of possible string values; however the ones you are intersted in are "Category" which can be Alarm, InCall, Notification, System etc; and "Sound" which is the name of the associated sound file in MID or WAV format.

To assign a startup sound, the appropriate key is HKEY_CURRENT_USERControlPanelSoundsSystemStart. By default this key does not have a "Sound" value, at all, and will need to be created as a string (REG_SZ). I would also recommend changing the default "Category" from Notification to System.

To assign a shutdown sound, the appropriate key is HKEY_CURRENT_USERControlPanelSoundsShutdown. By default the sound is configures as "carrier_boot.mid", which is located in the system windows directory. However, this setting doesn't appear to work, as the sound is never played. Officially Microsoft don't support this key under Smartphone 2002, but it seems strange that it should be present in the registry by default if there is no way to implement it.

Interstingly there is also a HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESndEvent key which has a default scheme and event mask associated. This, at least under Win CE 3.0, is used to hide sound events from the user under the control panel. On the Smartphone this would seem to be redundant, however again it is present. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESndEvent.Scheme can be set to .NoSounds, .DefaultSounds or .AllSounds. By default on the smartphone this is set to .Default. There are also 2 other keys that are used under this key "EventMask" and "EventCache", neither are present on the smartphone and don't appear to have any affect on the control pannel (settings) applets, but maybe they will be of some use to someone.

So, bottom line, a startup sound is easy to implement but will require a registry editor to setup. The shutdown sound is present, but a mystery.

Maybe someone else will have some better luck working this out. :lol:

Guest alphaflux

Red and green statup pic ? You mean the HELLOMOTO one ? If so, no, not without modifying the ROM. It is possible to change the operator logo, but thats about it I am afraid. I am sure a number of people have posts relating to how to do this, so I am not going to duplicate their work. :lol: Give me a shout if you are interested, and can't find anything.

As for the # key, it should work fine ... just hold it down for approximately 3 seconds and it should bring up another screen with a number of symbols from which to choose.

One thing to note ... I get the impression from your post that you are trying to set the value name to REG_SZ, this should be either "Category" or "Sound" depending on which entry it is you are creating. Its the "Value type" that needs to be REG_SZ.

Yeah, I was definitely doing it wrong before.

So now I have Category and Sound in there. How should I reference the filenames? Do they need the .wav extension? I've tried "MOTO_Startup.wav" and "MOTO_Startup" and it's defaulting to an alarm MID file every time :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bronislaw

I have been playing around with the startup and shutdown sounds on my MPX200 and have some questions. Even when I go into the registry and create a new value and set the sound for startup, the phone still plays the MOTO_Startup.wav first, which is located in Windows. It will then play my custom wav file. Does anyone know a way to kill the moto wav? BTW- it also shows my Hellomoto red/green flower first before showing my custom startup pics.

The other curious thing is with the shutdown sound. Although the Sound value points to Carrier_ring.mid, the phone plays the MOTO_Shutdown wav located in Windows. But, this only occurs when shutting down with the side power button. If I shutdown using the Quicklist menu - no sound!! I guess not a question, but an oddity.

• 4 months later...
Guest ib1-2

can anyone tell me how to move the sound files into the appropriate start folder? I can get a file listing on my phone but there is no facility to edit/cut/paste. I want the phone to power up & down with the MOTO wav sounds.

I have installed a regedit prog but my phone won't allow me to use it as it's not been certified.

Brian

Guest awarner [MVP]
I have installed a regedit prog but my phone won't allow me to use it as it's not been certified.

Welcome to the site :D

You need to decert (application unlock) your phone before you can use PHMRegedit. Look at the sticky post

in this section for information on how to do this.

Guest awarner [MVP]

The MPX has two start up sounds one is set in the phones

bootloader and cannot be changed, to activate this sound

go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER Control Panel PowerOnWaveon change the value of on from 0 to 1

Interestingly though this is also the power off sound. This works as long as you press and hold the power button to switch off and not the quick menu system.

Guest ib1-2

Right, have edited the reg files and managed to get the fone to play fancy sound when powering up. Why couldn't Motorola do this? It's pretty simple and I thought they would have at least done an update once they realised that things wern't quite right.

Guest awarner [MVP]

Moto have done a startup sound, more likely the

network that supplied the phone ie Orange or AT&T

decided they did not want it on startup and disabled it.

But as posted above there are two start up sound

commands on the phone, it's the second one you have

now enabled.

Guest wogstaa

Could you please help me, I put a sound in the ipsmwindowsstart up...

The sound plays on the start up with no problem but i cannot delete it :cry: ..

any help will be appreciated

Guest awarner [MVP]

One reason why it's best not to place sounds in the StartUp

folder :D

What you now have to do is rename the file extension of the sound to something like .old then reboot your phone.

After the reboot you should now be able to delete the sound

from the StartUp folder.