MPx200 unlock woes

Guest alphaflux

Guest alphaflux

Hi there,

Firstly, congratulations on a truly great site. It has proved exceptionally helpful and informative in trying to debug the below problem and has definitely got pride of place in my favourites list. Unfortunately even with this wealth of information at hand, I have been unable to get around my problem. So, here goes, my first post …

I have just purchased an Orange MPx200, which arrived in my hand yesterday. I am very happy with this quite frankly EXCELLENT phone; with the exception of one rather LARGE thing, its application locked ! What ever happened to Orange learning from their mistakes ?!?! Oh well.

After hours of searching forums and posts it became evident that the best method of unlocking the phone is OTA from the Orange developer site. However, nothing is ever as easy as it seems and following the instructions at "http://www.developers.orange.com/tipsandhints/UnlockingFullInstructions/" as closely as possible has yielded no result. I enter all the required details on the form (as found at http://developer.orangews.com/orgspv/SPVdev.aspx?U=T); which appears to complete correctly and produces the following message : "Your SPV will be unlocked shortly and a message will appear on the screen of your SPV to confirm this. Please note that it may take up to 5 minutes for your device to be unlocked.".

However, no amount of time waiting results in a binary SMS being received. I have tried a number of combinations of the phone number, inserting and removing components of the number (i.e. "+441234567890", "+44 1234567890", "+44

01234567890", "01234567890" etc.), but the result is the same each time. It has been over 24 hours now since the initial attempts and still nothing.

Time for a different approach … Following suggestions found in a post, attempts to place an incorrect IMEI number on the page results in "Sorry but we are unable to find the IMEI number that you have entered on our database" and allows for the download of the "Action Register" application. Great, now maybe we can get somewhere ?!?!

Umm, no. The software was successfully downloaded, transferred to the phone via activesync and installed. Following the "Using the Action Register Application" steps as listed from the download page results in the message: "Error: Access denied. The program cannot start because it is not digitally signed with a trusted certificate. Please contact your service provider for more information". Which is what I am trying to prevent with other software in the first place! 9 Now that really doesn't make ANY sense to me, and is quite disturbing in some respects. An orange supplied application for the unlock process requires the phone to be decertified before it can be run !!?! What is going on ?

So, I've done what I can with the Orange approved method, and attempts at a manual unlock have proved unsuccessful too. The ROM on these phones seems to have changed significantly from the original SPV; and as such the mxip_oem_10.provxml file no longer exists. Being replaced by mxip_OPERATOR_950.provxml. The settings look much the same and I see no reason why modification in the same manner would fail. However, to date I have been unable to get the phone to Hard Reset, which kind of makes the update a little difficult. 9 I assumed it would be the same as the SPV, in that pressing the power and record button would allow access to the bootstrap, but no such luck. Am I doing something wrong ?

That's about as much as I can think of at the moment. Anybody got any ideas ? I thank you in advance for anything anyone can suggest to get around this problem.

Rob.

NOTE: Originally posted to the [Main] forum, but probably more appropriate here. Apologies.

Guest alphaflux

Thanks, much appreciated. Its pretty much the response I was expecting. :lol:

If I could just work out how to get this thing to do a hard reset ... :twisted:

Anyway, I have now sent an e-mail to the Orange engineering team, so if I get anything useful out of these discussions I'll get them posted.

Thanks again.

Guest alphaflux

Well, if anyone is interested I have now managed to perform a hard reset on the MPx200. It is acheived by holding down the blue action button for a few seconds whilst turning the phone on.

This brings up a question asking whether you want to perform a "Master Reset" of the phone. Accepting this clears the flash memory and re-formats the IPSM. Of course all settings and contact information gets lost, as well as most of the Motorola applications. However, Orange specific settings such as the service centre configuration remains.

Not sure whether this will help with anything yet, as it fails to remove the application lock ... but still playing. :lol: I'll post updates as I get them.

Guest alphaflux

Additional: The Motorola applications that are lost during the reset process can be re-installed from the CD supplied with the phone. Phew ! ;) Was beginning to think I had lost the task manager etc.

All the applications are signed by Orange so no problems with needing the phone to be unlocked first. :lol:

alphaflux, have you heard anymore on decertifying your phone yet. Just got mine and I'm very impressed with it, would be more impressed if I could install some goodies on it!! Why did Orange decide to lock the phone in the first place?? :?

Guest statscat

I think they decided to lock it to ensure some degree of user protection, it is very easy for "malicious" code to cost the user a fortune in either SMS or GPRS bills etc, so I guess Orange wanted to guard against this, and people doing daft things like deleting there registry settings etc.

I think they were thinking of the user when they did it but I do think that the application unlock needs to be made available for the MPx200 too, evern after you unlock your phoe the preiviledge apis are still protected, You can as a developer access them but I think its fari enough I wouldn't want to download a "file explorer" or other app for that matter, thea they used my phone to spam thousands of people with a marketing message at my expense.

Pleas Orange hurry up and get an unlock cab for the MPx200 :lol:

Guest Bunchie

Yes I second this motion.. I am desperate to run some unsigned applications on there. I imagine that an Over The Air update process will probably be sorted out similar to the SPV when Orange get the IMEI numbers registered there.