E200 what SD card? Toshiba incompatable?

Guest AdrianFRST

Guest AdrianFRST

I know there's been topic after topic discussing SD cards, but I couldn't find anything specific to the E200.

Couple of weeks back I bought a 256mb SD card from www.7dayshop.com for my SPV (Canary). It was branded "Viking" and worked fine, except it got stuck so I removed the stickers on the card.

Doing this I was pleasantly suprised to see a Toshiba logo on the card under the sticker, so no worries about the SanDisk issues. The card worked fine in the SPV.

Now I've tried it in my E200 and it will only read, not write to it. Attempting to create a folder gives an error, and you have to re-insert the card before it will read it again.

- SP Task Manager won't format the card.

- Attempting to write to it either on the phone or through ActiveSync gives an error.

I know the phone is fine because it'll write to the Orange 8mb card with no problems. I think I'm going to have to try another card, but now I'm unsure which brand to go for...

What cards are people using and has anyone had similar issues?

Thanks!

Guest Peter Foot

I'm seeing the same thing. I also have a viking card and after getting it stuck in the slot removed the label. The card reads fine but wont write in the phone - tried storing some pictures on it got file access denied. I am able to write to the card on my Pocket PC though with no problems.

Very odd :?

Guest GameAngel

Same with my 128mb Viking, worked fine in my SPV (did get stuck, but left the sticker on though), but will not work in my new SPV E200.

This sucks big time, I only bought the card 2 weeks ago.

There must be a bug some where, me thinks [-X

Guest ajfoggy

I also have a Viking 256mb card and can't write to it. I have tried the card in other hardware and it works fine, I have rang Orange and they are supposed to be ringing me back with an answer. I'm not holding my breath.

Anyone else got any ideas???????

:cry:

Guest briggsie1

i was working with one today and it seem'd it could read all the different brands of SD card but was only able to write to a selected few! Which doesnt sound very promising

Guest g_lined

I have also had the same problem. I have a Viking 128Meg SD card new from Dabs. I cannot write to it from the phone. I haven't tried reading yet, but I think that probably works (especially after what you guys have said). I haven't had the sticker problem, I checked that the lock was off and not deformed in some way and I've had the SD card formatted from a PC. This still didn't clear the fault. I have emailed Viking with a link to this page asking if they can advise a course of action - I hope they can!

I'll let you know what they say. This is all rather frustrating!

Fingers crossed.

--

Guest skyvalley

I've got a Panasonic 256MB they're a bit on the pricy side but solid as a rock. I've yet to find a device in which it won't work. You can buy directly form the Panasonic e-shop http://eshop.panasonic.co.uk for about £80. If you know anyone who works for Panasonic the staff price is a mere £62 which is very nice :lol:

Another solid card is the Simpletech which comes in at about £60 from ebuyer.

The advantage with both of these cards is that unlike many they properly support th SD interface (rather than SPI) so when you stick it in a reader/writer you can get sustained 10MB/sec read/write transfers. As for other brands I don't know but I'd avoid Sandisk like the plague because I've read a lot of reports of a wait-state problem that cause random (although occasional) data-loss.

Hope this helps

Guest Malachai666

I'm using a 256mb Kingmax SD card from Ebuyer costs around 45-50....

The only problem I have is that sometimes when the phone is booting up it tells me the card is unreaedable and gives option to format.. if i pop it out and in again it works fine.. this includes taking pictures with the phone and writing to the card and copying MP3's to it! I have also tried my 128MB PNY Technologies card with the same results although have not seen the "format card?" message yet

Guest pmckean

I'm afraid I also have a Viking card exhibiting the same issues with the e200. Really peeved at this. I need the storage!

Does anyone know of a good budget brand that *does* work properly?

Guest g_lined

After a couple of emails with Viking, they suggested that the phone probably doesn't like multi-level cell SD cards such as the one I have. They have offered to exchange it with a single level cell SD card. I'll take them up on the offer and let you know if it helps.

Guest GameAngel

I’ve been speaking with Orange for the last two days now, and they are not aware of any incompatibility with SD card. They are investigating the problem and will be back to me in the next two days.

I will keep all informed, so far they have been quick to return calls and emails and have had a great attitude, so fingers crossed.

Guest skyvalley

Sorry Russell, didn't mean to scare you :lol:

I've got mates using SanDisks in their Palm Tungstens and they've seen no problems. There are quite a lot of reports on the web about SanDisk and a wait state issue that causes random data purging. Does sound like it's rare though. I do use SD's for a lot of purposes and I store data that's important to me, that's why I would avoid the SanDisk, I just don't want to risk it.

I personally buy Pana's because they're as good as they come and I get a staff discount so they're also quite competitively priced.

Guest Squuiid

My Viking 256MB doesn't work either on my E200, so just sold it to a mate and ordered a 512MB Sandisk from here:

www.blueproton.com

Also ordered a bluetooth dongle as shown in the Coolsmartphone guide. Can't wait to receive them ! :lol:

Guest Russell@home

Well, my card turned up today, plugged it into the phone & nothing!

Tried it in my PC & it hung explorer - possibly due to the card reader.

reinstalled WinXP on a pc I had lying around & it read it OK, formatted to see if that would help & the access LED on the reader is still lit after 15 mins.

...I was pleasantly suprised to see a Toshiba logo on the card under the sticker...Now I've tried it in my E200 and it will only read, not write to it.

I suppose I should take this off my shortlist then :lol:

512mb for ~£112 seemed good value too :cry: