Mpx200 Questions!

Guest DJHope

Hi there,

I love my smartphone and recently tried out a Treo 600, unfortunaely its going back within its 14 day trial period. Mainly because I LOVE MY SMARTPHONE TOO MUCH!!!! I already have an original SPV and its upgrade time again!!

So i basically want an Mpx200, the E200 dosnt excite me too much since im not too bothered about bluetooth and since im getting a digital camera one integrated into the phone isnt worth 149.99, the Mpx200 is however FREE!

So onto my questions:

1) no one seems to be able to make up there minds what speed these are, 200mhz or 133mhz, id love to know, does any one have an Orange Retail version of this phone yet and can check?

2) The picture on the microsoft website shows the phone running Smartphone 2003, this would make this phone an absolute killer.

Its obviously capable of running Smartphone 2003, does anyone have any idea if there is going to be an upgrade?

In the orange shops everywere is says its already running Smartphone 2003, if nobody has there hands on an Mpx200 Orange Retail version is it possible that these have been delayed in order to get Smartphone 2003 put onto the handset before an offical release?

Or if a small number already have been sold i wonder what the possiblity is of them upgrading the next batch and then giving everyone else a free upgrade, seems to me that the Mpx200 is a very mysterious phone!!!

In conclusion this phone looks like the daddy, if it gets Smartphone 2003 im going to be bouncing round the room for weeks, ive been desperate for a clamshell smartphone, getting ultra pissed off with the crapness of my screen!

Also the treo 600 was a great phone, the qwety keyboard is going to be painful to let go (writing txts was SOOOO fast!!!) but im sorry its just not the same as my good ol MS Smartphone!!!

DJ Hope

Guest Bunchie

Hi DJHope,

I bought my MPX200 a few days ago and so have had a decent amount of time to play around with it. I thought I would try and answer some of your questions for you. Basically, before i begin.. this phone absolutely rocks! I was a pretty disgruntled SPV owner who became a bit upset with the fact that the phone was very unstable and slow to use. Well they really have totally tweaked the SP2002 software so much and added a few little refinements here and there because this feels like a completely different phone. It is quite honestly a joy to use.. The only really time lag you get is when loading up an application such as Media player but thats only a second or so.. Otherwise this thing flies! Anyway onto your questions...

1. I can confirm that the processor speed is 133mhz. But whatever they have done to the software and the addition of extra ram has certainly made all the difference as using this phone is effortless. If you want some more information on the processor that is used in this phone take a look here: http://www.convergencepromotions.com/ARM/c...catalog/379.htm

2. I am too indeed hoping for a smartphone 2003 upgrade. There does seem to be an awful lot of confusion in Orange shops as I was told it was 2003 when I purchased it. I wouldn't be suprised if it was upgradable to 2003 but perhaps not through official means :lol: Maybe they are offering them so cheap at the moment to just spread the Smartphone name out a bit and that the MPX220 out early next year will be the 2003 version.

Anyway, to anyone thinking of buying this phone I honestly have no hesitation in totally recommending it to anyway. And I was a very big sceptic after the problems I have had with the SPV.

The call quality is outstanding, It gets signal pretty much everywhere which is a big improvement over my last phone, It comes with stacks of useful software, The screen quality is a big improvement over the SPV, It's fast, stable and cheap! What more could you want?

If anyone has any specific questions about it feel free to email me at [email protected] and I will answer them as best as I can. I was thinking of writing up a full detailed review pretty soon but I will see how it goes i think.

Cheers

Bunchie

Just as a strange point - It is without doubt SP2002 s/w (says so on the boot screen) but my Orange manual says SP2003! Might have some leeway with Orange to get an s/w upgrade or upgraded phone at some point as this is blatant false advertising!

Guest Bunchie

This is a very good point! :lol:

I might have to give Orange a call and see what the deal is with this. I am also DESPERATE to get this beast software unlocked. I need to get some unsigned apps going on there!

Also a software update to Smartphone 2003 would be the perfect way to unlock the phone. I really hope this happens, although im still gonna get the mpx200 anyways! Since its blatently compatable with Smartphone 2003, id be very annoyed if no update came!

Thanks for the answers people especially Bunchine, that was a wicked response just what i wanted.

DJ Hope

Guest tomdbomb61

i also have had my mpx200 since saturday. overall its an amazingly quick fone. it boots up at almost twice the speed of my e100! the only little thing i have with it , and im interested to know if others of u have this, when you turn the fone on , and go into your inbox theres a few seconds delay before you can do anything in your inbox. now i only have 3 messages in there.

not a major problem just wundered if any1 else noticed it.

thanks tom

Guest Bunchie

Hmm.. I don't really seem to have that problem with my handset. It seems to load the Inbox pretty instantly. When you initially boot the phone up though you do have to give it a bit of time to get its act together. I wouldn't really class a couple of seconds wait at the very beginnng as a huge problem as it runs instantly in normal use. Its probably still loading up some drivers up or something.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest kyrkesmith
the only little thing i have with it , and im interested to know if others of u have this, when you turn the fone on , and go into your inbox theres a few seconds delay before you can do anything in your inbox.

Yeah, same problem. Pretty annoying, because it's slower than the E100. I reckon it's got something to do with the MMS software (which is pretty crap, especially the dodgy homescreen plugin).

• 3 weeks later...
Guest catboy98

i also go my phone on saturday and have spent a bit of time plaing with it. I agree with all the above, but also have some negatives to add:

1. Dont expect it to look new for long. I have after a days already lost the little plastic charger hole cover, i dropped it today and it scratches really badly, and it is a magnet for fingerprints.

2. It is not nearly as user friendly when it comes to normal phone funtions as other phones like nokia. everything seems to be 3 or for clicks away.

3. no car kit available yet.

But I am still glad I upgraded from the GX10i - I love the handsfree (although I still cant get MP3's to play), I think I might use the outlook, and the Theme generator is great - but I really wish they had used a different colour / surface

ANyway - enjoy

Guest MPXtricky

.....my MPX200 clashes with my PVC handbag. terrible, just terrible.

Come on man, this is one cool phone so try and live with it!

but I really wish they had used a different colour / surface

ANyway - enjoy

Guest actionj

1) my inbox has 35 really long emails in it and has 7 subfolders with a total of like 200 emails and it loads instantly. I do not have any plugins or addins though

2) no mpx200 runs windows mobile 2003 right now. It has the ability to run 2003, and service providers will most likely charge for an upgrade when it's available next year. the mpx220 will come loaded with 2003.

3) I also have noticed the fingerprint and smudge problem but the phone is black so that's normal.

4) I too was frustrated by how many clicks it took to get to certain programs until I starting messing with speed dial. You can store 45 items in speed dial, whether it be phone numbers, menus or programs. for example i have my task manager set to 7. When i hold down 7, it loads right up. To do double digit numbers you tap the first number then hold the second. For example I have a game set to 12, so I tap 1, then hold down 2 and it loads right up. To add a speed dial, just highlight the application and click menu, then add speed dial.

You can also add voice tags to progams and menus.

Guest MPXtricky

I've had mine 2 days now and it's the dogs b0ll0cks. Whe I told the guy in the orange shop that it was the 2002 OS and that their posters were misleading, he became very apologetic. I reckon this is a perfectly good reason (misleading advertising) to get a free upgrade to the MPX220 when it comes out. Saying that, I am very pleased with the MPX200. Awesome bit of kit

I reckon this is a perfectly good reason (misleading advertising) to get a free upgrade to the MPX220 when it comes out.  Saying that, I am very pleased with the MPX200.  Awesome bit of kit

No chance, you have a 14 day approval period on the phone. It is apparent from the first boot that it is Smartphone 2002 running on the phone, you are perfectly entitled to return the phone if you are not happy with the situation, but it will be impossible to get a free upgrade upon release of the MPx220 :)

Guest scott2eyes
2) The picture on the microsoft website shows the phone running Smartphone 2003, this would make this phone an absolute killer.
What does 2003 do that 2002 can't?

1. Dont expect it to look new for long. I have after a days already lost the little plastic charger hole cover, i dropped it today and it scratches really badly, and it is a magnet for fingerprints.

Ah- that little plug is practically designed to be lost. But it does show up fingermarks pretty badly...

2. It is not nearly as user friendly when it comes to normal phone funtions as other phones like nokia. everything seems to be 3 or for clicks away.
I think this is one of those Microsoft things- like in Windows, there's about 4 different ways to do anything. I haven't had a Nokia for quote a while, but I found the MPx to be smoother than my old Sony Ericsson once I'd figured my way around it. There's a few little tricks like the speed dial that someone else mentioned that speed things up a bit, like sending text messages by selecting the Contact, then the SMS number (rather than opening the inbox, then opening a new message etc.), and using the phone/speakerphone button once you've selected a contact to dial the default number (as opposed to using the blue "action" button to open the contact, then selecting the number to call)

3. no car kit available yet.

With the hands free kit and the built in speakerphone, I haven't found that to be a problem. But then again, I don't drive much...

One thing that does have to be said is that unless you charge this phone up regularly (ie. at LEAST once a day), it's battery life is TERRIBLE, and the one reason that I won't be reccomending this phone to my friends.

Much as I love the motorola and all it's funky features, if there isn't some sort of software solution to this problem (and I am pretty certain that it's a software problem- apparently removing the MMS software helps, as does switching to Airplane mode when you're out of signal), my old T68i isn't going to be going into retirement quite yet...

Guest actionj

Yeah the battery life isn't great. When I play Links and listen to mp3s, my phone drains in less than a day. But there isn't a device out there that will play games on a 65,000 color screen and mp3s for like 2 or 3 days straight. You just always need a charger with you.