Which to choose VB or C#? Symbian or Windows?

Guest observer

Guest observer

Hello,

i need your comments about some really important issues for me. i am a student and want to start develop applications for smartphones.

what do you think about the future?, how symbian goes in the market?

And i honestly donknow which language to choose too:)) VB or C# or C++ ? is there any languge that you can make programmes for both devices (symbian and WinCE)? Are there any websites that you can suggest for me?

Thanks for your all help

And last qstn; is there a way to upgrade my phone (i-mate, same with spv) to winCE 4.1 or later? is it related with processor also?

i tried to send my smarphone websites but html is not allowed but u can find it at www.ibrahimeren.com/bookmark.html , maybe you can use some of them.

Guest Gorskar

This site was recommeded to me for learning C++ http://www.relisoft.com/book/index.htm

I've not got very far yet though, but perhaps you have more spare time (being a student still :lol: )

C++ will work on SP2002 and SP2003 phones. .NET only on SP2003 phones.

Not sure about symbian, but think its C++ again.

Probably a better place for this thread would be the development sub-forum

Not sure about symbian, but think its C++ again.
Standard out-of-the-box Symbian supports C++, but you can use the Appforge booster to program Visual Basic - this booster needs to be installed on the device though, and the programming addon for VB costs $900 :shock:

www.appforge.com

And last qstn; is there a way to upgrade my phone (i-mate, same with spv) to winCE 4.1 or later? is it related with processor also?

There isn't a way to upgrade SPV-equivalents to CE 4.2 (Windows Mobile 2003) at the moment.

Guest Peter Foot

Also which might be of interest for cross-platform development is a new product from appforge called crossfire. This allows you develop in Visual Studio .NET and output to a variety of devices including Palm, Symbian and Nokia Series 60, along with Pocket PC and smartphone. In theory this will allow you to use C++, C# or VB whereas their previous offering was VB only.

There isn't much detail on the product yet other than the press release but it looks like one to watch.

Peter

Guest observer

Thanks for your replies and help.

We had one week "bayram" here so i couldnt found time to be online. But meantime i discussed it with some developers and it seems that the best way is C++ if u want to operate and be strong in this mobile market. Because it is faster than Java and .Net and because of the restricitons of the hardware of the mobile devices, speed is very important and also C++ gives you more control over the device.

.Net in near future i think is going to be used more by developers but it is easier to learn C# if you know C++ (they said like that ;) )

AppForge could be very useful in near future but i think Windows is going to dominate the market (at least it can buy symbian :roll: )

I found friend versions of .Net 2003 and eVC++ :lol: and i am starting to learn C++ for making a dictionary as a first project.