Should I still buy the SPV E200.. If yes; why?

Guest BlurpSter

Guest BlurpSter

Hello. First of all, Im happy to contribute in this forum :lol:

A friend of my has the SPV.. I love it..

And I was really looking forward for the SPV e200..

But now that I see all the negative points of it, im confused.

Still buy it or not?

- Bluetooth hammers the battery flat - discoverable mode kills it in less than a day

- GPRS timed disconnect doesn´t work (it just stays on),

- MSN Messenger doesn´t work in France

- UK version has a load of strange shortcuts to what looks like debug applications, there is also a shortcut missing to IA Space Maker

- Orange shops aren´t giving people there extra SD cards (with extra content that was promised by Orange)

- The locking is still constricting for home screens (i.e. not all homescreens can be installed in E200)

- Orange Help is hidden away on the second level of the start menu - lots of people returned old models of SPV because it was too complicated - with such hiding, things are not getting any better

- Yes, certainly E200 has built-in camera but picture quality is poorer, than the SPV/E100 snap on camera, and the video has a very low frame rate

- Since Orange SPV E200 has a slow processor (132 MHz unlike 200 MHz in MiTAC for example), ability to fix some of above problems by software updates may be very limited (if possible at all)

- Very small number of Bluetooth profiles in E200: only Bluetooth headset profile and Bluetooth dial-up profile

- Bluetooth dial-up profile is one-sided: it means you can connect your PC or Pocket PC to Internet with E200 but you cannot connect E200 to Internet the other way around - for example by using another cell phone; it denies the thesis that Smartphone is a combination of PDA and cell phone

- ActiveSync over Bluetooth is not reliable and easy - you may experience problems with some USB Bluetooth dongles; ActiveSync over Bluetooth connection is not stable - it dies quickly

- Joystick is only 4 way, unlike the '8' way of the SPV E100.

Are there still any positive points left to buy this phone?

Please tell me! I need help.. ;)

Guest pradaboy

I was very excited about it too but I'm gonna leave it for the MPx200 now. The Moto is a lot more stable thnx to the customized 2002 version. I will really miss BT but I cannot handle a crappy phone like the E200 now. Does anyone know if the Moto has SDIO support? That would be a solution for BT.

Guest BlurpSter

Yes but the moto doesnt have a camera and does not support BT as you said yourself..

And I really want those 2..

Btw, Im live in Holland and the E200 isn't released yet.. Any chance we get an other SPV? with some improvements (Except the joystick) ?

Guest pradaboy

Blurpster...

I'm in Holland too, E200 is coming here anyday now... no word about any new models so I won't count on it.

The camera is no bother for me but the BT is, I'm hoping for a solution on this but I'm not gonna spend over €200 more for the E200 when I can get the Moto for almost nothing.

The Moto is the smarter choice for me.

Guest pradaboy

sure has but thnx to Moto it has been tweaked so it's far more stable than 2k3. and as you have noticed there are some problems with 2k3 on the E200.

By the way there's a lot of talk about an update for the moto on 2k3, I think it won't take long!

In my opinion the E200 is a great phone, yes there are some niggles but i love it! Bluetooth, built in camera which is great fun! (and with my 256 meg sd card i can record over an hour of video!), speedy menus, Windows Mobile 2003, built in IA software, full speed Gameboy and NES emulation and speedy Linsk golf and so on... I would get the E200 personally and don't regret my choice.

The games i play, Smartanoid, Pocket minigolf and done in 50 seconds don't really rely on diagonals.

And i don't think it will bother me that much as there is no other smartphone with Windows Mobile 2003, bluetooth and inbuilt camera :lol:

(roll on wednesday when i get my phone ;))

Guest spacecowboy6982

Yeh, all this fuss over the joysticks a bit of a nonsense :roll: "Orange-Haters" have dubbed it a HUGE mistake. Dont see how? The majority of games available for the 2002 platform were c*ap anyway and the good ones are now getting button re-mapped, so its all good ;)

Blupster there really is no decision to make here - the E-200 wins it just for having an integrated camera. + flipphones are for girls :lol:

In my opinion the E200 is a great phone, yes there are some niggles but i love it! Bluetooth, built in camera which is great fun! (and with my 256 meg sd card i can record over an hour of video!), speedy menus, Windows Mobile 2003, built in IA software, full speed Gameboy and NES emulation and speedy Linsk golf and so on... I would get the E200 personally and don't regret my choice.

I heard the battery performance is horribly, from what people say (if it's true) after recording for 1 hour as you said above the battery must be dead. How long is your experiance with stand by time ?

Guest spacecowboy6982

Personally Ive got to re-charge on average every 12 hours. Of course it depend son what im doing during th ecourse of the day. Bluetooth's a killer - i find MP3s to be pretty power hungry too.

spacecowboy

apa57, i've only had it a couple of days so it would be unfair for me to comment but it seems similar to the E100 tbh. Obviously the camera will drain the battery a little more but I charge my phone every night and so don't have a problem.

Guest skyvalley

The E200 is a stunner!

I don't regret spending the money at all.

The battery life is crap, the joystick thing is a pain (but I reckon it'll be patchable in S/W) and there are a few glitches.

However, I'm pretty good at finding bugs in phones (it's part of my job description) and I've not found any real show-stoppers yet.

Moto's are (as a rule) a bit pants in the build-quality department and their "customised" version of 2K2 worries me too. If anyone has any experience of Moto's like I do you'll know that the MMI's are renowned for being well flaky, so if they've customised the MS platform won't their customisations quite probably be up to their normal MMI standard. Everyone was saying how wonderful the E200 was until it hit the streets and now (as you'd expect with more users) people are finding the bugs. Give it another month and then we can do a fair comparison between E200 and the Moto, when they've both been in the hands of the general public for a while.

Let's face it an MS mobile platform is alway going to have it's little quirks and problems, if you want a high quality piece of stable Software you're going to have to go with a P900 (and then you'll have to put up with memory sticks arrgh).

At the end of the day, just pick the one that seems to fit your needs the best, you'll be taking somewhat of a gamble either way.

I personally think their both great ;-) I just accept that neither will be perfect!!!

Guest yarod_g14

I have only had my E-200 for a few days and I have sadly already considered sending it back to onestopphoneshop.

I have a SPV and an E-200 my friend has an E-100 and I spent the evening yesterday teaching him how to sync with his laptop and copy files shortcuts etc. I have 5 other friends with SPV's all who are happy.

We spent all evening running applications accross all three of the phones and also encding various music videos/trailers for pocket TV, WM9 for my E-200 and WM8 for his E-100 and my old SPV.

We were running the videos side by side and obviously the E-200 is a big improvement......but........

Then we had a go with Rick D and F*ck me I couldnt get past the first screen due to the 4 direction joystick!!!

STUPID!!!

This really annoyed me so when after a few hours my battery died I was screwing, we both had full battery's before we started and his was more than half available after hours of fiddling!! Obviously down to the bluetooth sync, though its not like I was far away from my pc or anything.

Its meant to have over 30 hours standby time (from the advert I saw)

this is absolute big hairy balls, its runs out faster than my bag of Holland green on a saturday night in with 5 mates who have spent the last 5 years in Jail smoking boot polish!(dont ask)

I have been able to listen to music whilstplaying most games without much of a slowdown. I can surf the web and send E-mails via POP3 whilst listening to an MP3 with no problems at all. The reliablity is a huge improvement. The camera works really well. I was taking pics with music running no problems. Its as stable as my Aprilia with dunlop Sportmax on a hot dry day :lol:

The bluetooth connects my Phone in my bedroom to my PC in the room downstairs which is great!

Now I have had my phone for a while I couldnt go back to my canary. Too bad really because there are going to be some really interesting products available in the next year. I have now stiched my self up with a 12 month contract and Im not going to be getting a new handset unless I splash the cash. I would rather be reading reviews of new products insted of moaning about mine.

I got my phone for free from www.onestopphoneshop.co.uk.

In conclusion I would say that for E-100 users the upgrade is pretty pointless at present as the screen is the same and apart from the joystick being a little slippy on the E-100 the conrols feel the same. Performance is similar and I believe that when the 1.6 patch comes it may be comparable *but*I couldnt go back to my SPV now I have felt the difference.

My cousin has just bought an XDA2 for £130 at £30 a month on O2 which he let me fiddle with on the day of purchase. This is really only a little bigger, its longer and wider but much slimer. Its the only thing I have found that compares.

I had Gameboy ADVANCE games working properly at full speed+sound within 10 mins of getting it into my hands. Then after 1 min of fiddling we had sidways controlls using the joypad with your left thumb and buttons with your right thumb. this is the only option for the serious gamer it even makes use of the side buttons (like voice record) for L and R buttons! We were competing at Tony Hawk 4 and SuperStreetfighter. This is more than impressive, it also has camera and bluetooth and pocket quake runs without missing a beat!

I cant recommend my E-200 after seeing this, Im nuts for not sending mine back, I guess I just LOVE THE MODACO CROWD ;)!!!

Its amazing to me that Microsoft (worlds largest OS producer) and Orange (one of Europes leading mobile phone providers)could have released such an incomplete product. Maybe the development team had an argument with the sales team and they are not talking, whatever the cause it all comes down to bad managment.

Before anyone jumps on me as a flamer.....

Can you imagine Apple releasing a product like this?

I am a 100% Pc user I wouldnt buy a mac but I know quality when I see it, this phone is another beta.

It seems to me that this is the only Smartphone widely available that does everything we want. In a market with little or no competition the product suffers. What do we have?

A product that in some aspects is less than its predessesor?

• 1 month later...
Guest TimboDavis

You've pretty much got everything right Yarod!

The problem is the E200's a pretty poor phone and a pretty poor PDA - poor sound and limited capability. The biggest annoyance for me is that it could do so much more if they'd wanted it to.

Voice dial would be a plus, improved BT capability and signal strength/receive sensitivity, a better volume control that doesn't jump in 300db stages, a much larger base memory that doesn't need an SD card to suck the living 5hit out of the battery and a speakerphone that you can hear when it's in use are all things that would greatly improve it's use.

:? I really can't understand why it was released with so many shortcomings!??

Guest spacecowboy6982
had Gameboy ADVANCE games working properly at full speed+sound within 10 mins of getting it into my hands. Then after 1 min of fiddling we had sidways controlls using the joypad with your left thumb and buttons with your right thumb. this is the only option for the serious gamer it even makes use of the side buttons (like voice record) for L and R buttons! We were competing at Tony Hawk 4 and SuperStreetfighter.

Impossible :roll:

Guest ZeroK66

Having not read each persons post I thought I should throw in my thoughts.

So far having had my E200 for a couple of days, I am not too happy about the battery life - fair enough. But apart from that - the phone is fast and has all the features I have always wanted. Who needs bluetooth on all the time? You switch it on, use it and turn it off!! Assuming you are not doing too much, it will be fine. My phone sits in my cradle at work/home and so charge will never be a real problem. As long as it lasts a full day then I am happy.

The motorolla having read a few reviews sounds like a fantastic phone. If it had 2003 & a cam w/ bt then YES!! But it lacks those features so E200 all the way for me!! When Motoroller release something similar to the E200... I think it will be moto all the way. For now, E200 is GREAT!

Cheers,

Leon

PS: If you have the cash and are happy to go with O2, I would say the XDA II is brilliant. Assuming you are happy to live with the size... go for it. Only went with the E200 as it was a Free upgrade with my current contract wiht orange. if I was going to start a new contract, the XDA II may well have been my choice - but then again - I am a power user. Some people just want a phone.