Application unlock (decert) your Orange UK MPx200

Guest alphaflux

Guest alphaflux

Take a look at the post at the top of page 3 on this thread; that should provide all the direction you need for the installation of the unlock cabinet. The information there also applies to any other cabinet files you may wish to install. If you need additional help, please let me know. Only too happy to help. :lol:

As regards banging heads against Orange, that shouldn't be an issue. Application unlocking your phone is not illegal and Orange will provide an official facility to unlock the MPx200 over the air (OTA) in the future. Its just something that they have not provided to date, or been forthcoming with information on when it will be available either. Thats what lead to people like myself to take matters into their own hands. ;) Hope that alleviates any concerns you may have.

Guest Shuflie

Should be gone already, unless you set it to read only. .CAB files delete themselves after installation. What you may seeing is the cached icon, it should disappear after a reset.

You are the MAN....

I'm now officially unlocked (US AT&T MPX200)...

To the previous post... I wasn't aware that AT&T sent their phones out unlocked... I had a problem with some unsigned apps... but after running this all is good...

Has anybody else running or installing pocket slideshow seen anything like this ? or indeed with any other applications. 

I unlocked my mpx and it allowed me to install unsigned apps, however mobipocket reader failed with a permissions error (can't remember the exact message, but i got the same error on several tries).

I relocked the phone, installed mobipocket, unlocked the phone again.

Everything now runs with the phone unlocked, including mobipocket, so I'm happy now, and after the tip on making the cab files read only, I can quickly switch between locked and unlocked if I want to install something else.

Thanks.

Guest alphaflux

Nice one hopon, I suggest anyone experiencing this problem follows this method. I have still been unable to replicate this issue on my phone, but you are the second person that has reported this problem. I'll take a look into the unlock permissions again and see what could be causing this, but as this only seems to affect a small majority, I am not sure what I'll find. I am guessing there is some small difference with your phones.

If anyone else is experiencing this problem, please let me know with a quick post. It will help testing if I know if there is a general problem, and with which applications. Has anyone else tried to install the applications mentioned (Pocket Slideshow and mobipocket reader) ?

Guest diyfiesta

Hello mate,

Thanks for the reply, I know it sounds odd, but I just tried it again and got the following error...

Info

Installation failed. The program or setting cannot be installed because it does not have adequate system permissions. Please contact your service provider for more information.

I'm a bit of a novice so am probably doing something wrong though. I run your CAB (which is cool by the way) then try to install pocket slide show (trail version) using active sync, its at the point when I ok the installation on the actual phone that this happens. Does that help?

Thanks again

er, I just tried to run the lock script to undo this, and I got the same message... huh?

Guest alphaflux

diyfiesta: Hmm, to be quite honest I am quite at a loss as to why you should be experiencing this problem.

As I say, I have been completely unable to replicate this issue, and it only appears to be affecting a very small majority (2 to my knowledge). With the fact that this occurs with either the lowered or default security policies, my gut feeling tells me that there may be an issue with the cabinet that you are trying to install. Have you tried downloading it and installing it again from a different source?

Download it again and give that a go, it may help, but if it still doesn't work the only other suggestion I can give is doing a hard reset on the phone; to reset it to factory defaults and then try again. Be warned though, if you do a hard reset, you will have to setup your phone again and re-install any applications you may have already.

So, off the download doesn’t work and you do want to give the hard reset a go (please make sure you really do!) then all you have to do is hold down the blue action key whilst turning the phone on and saying yes to the master reset question.

In the meantime; did anyone who previously had an SPV have this problem? The unlock permissions used are the same for the MPx200 and SPV.

Alphaflux

Guest alphaflux

On a different note: I have received a number of private messages which ask why you would want to unlock the phone. I really don't mind receiving private messages and will certainly respond to them, but for those that are unsure on this ... here goes. :lol:

Put quite simply; unlocking your phone enables you to run unsigned applications. That is, ones which have not been signed by the service provider with a special certificate. Unsigned applications include many games and utilities etc which have been developed by individuals or small companies that can not afford to pay the service provider to certify the application (it is not cheap!).

The reasons Orange release their phones in an application locked state are many fold. They are protecting their investment and also protecting the user base from potentially malicious code. However, all the good applications are unsigned! So who can live with a phone that only runs signed applications!

For those in America; you do not need to run this script, as the US AT&T provided MPx200 is not locked. The phone will run unsigned applications by default. In fact, quite controversially, the AT&T provided MPx200 is far less security locked than it would be if you were to run this script!

Alphaflux.

Guest smokedog

Posted from my SmartPhone!

Great job on unlocking the phone Alphaflux.

Just posting to let you know that I'm also having problems runnning signed apps on after installing the unlock cab.

Guest alphaflux

Hmm, well, now there are 3 people I know of having problems. If the thread count is anything to go by though, 3 out of about 4000 ain't bad ! :wink: BUT, I know that doesn't help those that are.

So ... can some who is experiencing this issue (smokedog is the most recent, so you'll do! :lol: ) post the original SecurityPolicy settings for your phone. I am interested to know if they are different to the default and can certainly modify them to produce a custom cabinet for you guys.

One other thing that springs to mind ... these are all UK Orange phones, right ?? Not imported or anything.

Guest smokedog

Posted from my SmartPhone!

I'm sure there are more people out there with this issue. Maybe the haven't installed the offending software or just don't see the point in posting to this thread.

My phone is a UK phone on Orange. The setting were factory setting before the

unlock cab install.

At the moment I don't really see this a major problem as I can still install apps, just abit more work involved. Plus there is a light at the end of the tunnel, when O release the offical unlock patch it'll haopefully fix it.

So alphaflux don't sweat it, you've played a blinder!

Guest dan90036

Alphalux, I did something really stupid? I followed the steps to unlock my MPX200 phone with AT&T wireless in US. I followed the steps and then I got it to install. Now I cannot see any content in any folders on my phone. The programs allready installed seem to work. Have I messed up something really big?

Help!

dan

Guest alphaflux
Alphalux, I did something really stupid? I followed the steps to unlock my MPX200 phone with AT&T wireless in US. I followed the steps and then I got it to install. Now I cannot see any content in any folders on my phone. The programs allready installed seem to work. Have I messed up something really big?

Hey Dan,

Hmm, thats a little strange. Can you give me a little more information. How do you mean you are unable to see content in any folders on the phone ? via Activesync, explorer type utility, programs menu ?

I have still been unable to get my hands on the AT&T default securitypolicy configuration. So maybe this can help us both out ! :lol: ... but if you are still able to get to the phone folders via activesyc. Send me a copy of the Mxip_OPERATOR_950.provxml (may have a number other than 950) and I'll send you back another cabinet to put the phone back as it was.

Alphaflux.

Guest dadaboss1

Hi, just downloaded the unlock file but all I get is a setup.xml file instead of a cab file.

Could someone please tell me how to install this.

Thanks.

Guest stevenwross

Issue on UK Orange MPx200.

Installed the decert cab and phone is now decerted. Most applications install OK.

However now some signed applications refuse to install now for example MOBIPOCKET READER and Orneta Reader.

Sounds similar to some previous posts and I know of one other person with same issue.

Guest alphaflux

The temporary work around, as suggested by others that are experiencing this issue, is to run the lock script before the install of signed applications and then re-run the unlock script when done. If you make the cabinets read only, then they will not be deleted and will be available when needed.

However; there are enough people experiencing this issue that I am will release another cabinet. The new cabinet will have lower permissions that those currently in force, and should only be used by those that are experiencing this problem, but should hopefully resolve the issue.

I have still be unable to replicate this issue with ANY application suggested as having a problem. I am not sure on the differences between the setup of the phones, but there must be something.

Its been a long day … so I can’t guarantee that this will be released tonight, but will be available mid afternoon tomorrow at the latest.

Alphaflux.

Guest alphaflux

As promised, please find attached a new cabinet with updated SecurityPolicy settings. This should be used by anyone experiencing issues installing signed cabinets; and should allow the installation of both signed and unsigned cabinets.

Please note, as I have still been unable to replicate this issue with any of the applications mentioned, I have been unable to test that it does actually address the problem, but it should. :lol: However, I have tested that it doesn’t cause any adverse effects.

Give it a go and let me know. Please note that the new cabinet ONLY contains the updated "CAB installation policy" setting and as such requires the unlock policy to be run first.

Thanks for your patience on this issue.

Alphaflux.

NOTE: Attachement removed, please use new posted attachment (page 6 of this thread).

Guest alphaflux

Having thought about it some more, I have modified the parameters again and uploaded another cabinet (still on the previous post). The original cabinet I uploaded may still fix the issue, but doesn't account for third party signed (TPS) cabinets (which is most likely the issue).

As such I have uploaded a new version. Only 1 download of the previous cabinet was made, so if that was you, you might like to download the new one. :lol: