Should there be a blanket ban on public smoking?

Guest glynton

Guest stevewright

What about people's right to smoke? I'm asthmatic, but when I go in a pub, people want to relax and take legal drugs - who am I to stop them?

Brody's right, it'll never happen. Unless it was brought in with a law making tobacco illegal. Ha ha ha....

MOST importantly:

What about car pollution? Do you breathe that in, or do you live on a rock in the middle of the North Sea?

Guest glynton

The fact is though that yes there is pollution in the air... but smoking chokes you when you're trying to enjoy your friends' company in a pub and makes your clothes stink. I have nothing against people smoking... if they want to drastically shorten their lives with 5 mins of addictive relief then that's their choice, but it should not be at the direct discomfort of others. The thing is, if a law was passed, i know that laying the blame with the smokers themselves would be pointless... the respnosibility needs to lie with the property owner for any decent results. With all due respect, i think Disco Stu's comment doesn't hold now because i think the awareness of smoking related illness and the campaigns of recent have made a big difference. And by the sounds of it, it was not a law but just a decision made by a few landlords. Obviously they'd loose business because punters could simply go to another pub and smoke.

Guest chucky.egg

Ooohhh, a sensitive topic me thinks!

I think that they SHOULD make tobacco illegal (obviously I'm not stupid enough to believe they will in my lifetime).

As far as possible I never set foot in a bar/restaurant that has no "smoking" area, even if I sit in the non-smoking area through choice.

I'm a 10-a-day smoker btw

Guest glynton

Did you know, a couple of months ago, Pizza Hut declared all it's restaraunts non-smoking. And for me, there's nothing worse than having to eat in a smokey restaraunt so good job pizza hut!

Guest Disco Stu

As a 30/day man myself its got to be a sensitive subject....

You're right about the old no-smoking pubs Glynton, but I'm not convinced they'd work even now. Isn't smoking getting more popular with the younger age groups ?

I'm all for no-smoking areas and don't mind standing out in the rain if the craving gets too much but a law is way over the top.

Guest glynton

Well, i know that quite a few of my mates only smoke on a night out. they dont smoke regularly at all. Mainly because of the cost. But if there was a ban, I dont think it would affect them much, cz they arent actually regular smokers!

Guest Bunchie

Basically the only people who are going to vote "No" will be the ones who are addicted to fags anyway. When it comes down to it its purely a drug addiction and the more ways in which we can get people off the filthy things the better i say!

Guest mcwarre

I think that people are getting very uppity here about this.

Firstly, you can't compare car/bus pollution to smoking.

Car/bus pollution is a voluntary risk as we all use either a car / some form of public transport to get around (yes people walk and cycle but not exclusively). By using such transport there is a financial gain to be made i.e. getting to work or reducing travel time (apart from you Londoner's).

Inhaling someone elses smoke is an involuntary risk. Why should I have my chances of dying prematurely increased by someone else smoking? OK, you might say 'don't goto the pub' fine. What if I want to? I don't smoke (and no I am not anti-smoking) so would you complain if I backed my car up to the pub and fed a percentage of the exhaust in to it? Methinks you would as I am increasing your involuntary risk rather like you have increased mine by smoking.

This is all about opinions and perception not fact. Which is a safer means of travel? Flying or driving. Most people would think driving as plane crashes (which tend to have a high degree of fatalities in them) stick in the mind. If you compare passenger journey KM / no of deaths then road travel is 10 times less safe than airtravel. This is also involuntary risk as you are not incontrol of the airplane. Notice how you are not as relaxed when you are a passenger in a car when compared to driving it (especially with my missus at the wheel)? Again involuntary risk.

To finish this is about opinions, opinions are like a*seholes, everyone has got one!!

As an ex-smoker I voted no. There are pubs now offering non-smoking areas but extending it to the whole thing would be excessive. And what's so bad about drug addiction anyway? :lol:

Guest mike-oh

Yes there should be!

I don't make other people breathe my noxious gases! :lol: Why the hell should i have to breathe theirs and risk my health?

At the end of the day it's downright selfishness. Why should us non smokers go elsewhere because some people can't resist sucking on a toxic cancer stick for an hour or so?!

If you really love the smoke hold your breath and allow it to settle in your lungs before breathing out again. Either that or do it in your own home.

I haven't anything against people who smoke (i just don't understand why) but i don't see why non smokers should be forced to suffer for someone elses addiction.

Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest nickcornaglia

I smoke. But I hate smoking, smokers, and anything to do with cigarettes and cigars.

I only smoke outdoors.

I hate the way it makes you smell.

I hate the way others smell when they are done with smoking.

I gag at the smell on my clothes when I come home from a pub or club.

I hate ashtrays.

I do not believe in smoking indoors. It's disgusting.

I hate everything about it including my addiction to it.

I MUST QUIT! I MUST QUIT! I MUST QUIT! I MUST QUIT! I MUST QUIT! I MUST QUIT! I MUST QUIT! I MUST QUIT! I MUST QUIT! I MUST QUIT! I MUST QUIT! I MUST QUIT! I MUST QUIT! I MUST QUIT! I MUST QUIT! I MUST QUIT!

No off to the balcony for a quick one.

Guest Disco Stu

Well exactly 8)

When I were a lad, Ozzy Osbourne was a role model and David Beckham would have been laughed at with his fitness and his alice bands. :roll:

Anyway, HMG is not considering it so its down to commercial pressure. Boycott your local until they bring a ban in ](*,)

Incidentally, did you know that air rage incidents are probably a consequence of banning smoking on planes ?

They used to change the air more often and mix the recycled stuff with fresh air from outside. Now, to save money, they recycle less, don't add any fresh, and the CO2 levels rise thereby partially asphyxiating everyone :!:

See also lack of cleaning on trains...

So there you go.

What with that and this namby-pamby country's negative attitude towards the heartfelt love between a man and his sheep, I think I'll emigrate to somewhere more tolerant. Like France ;-)

Guest Disco Stu

:lol: ;)

Or China perhaps...they love smoking over there so I hear

What's it like in the Phillipines guys ?

A guy's gotta have a hobby for Christ's sake :wink:

but smoking chokes you when you're trying to enjoy your friends' company in a pub and makes your clothes stink.

So go live in the country!

Although, the last time I was in a country pub I seem to remember thinking "that country air chokes you & makes your clothes stink ..."

but smoking chokes you when you're trying to enjoy your friends' company in a pub and makes your clothes stink.

So go live in the country!

Although, the last time I was in a country pub I seem to remember thinking "that country air chokes you & makes your clothes stink ..."

I know - ban the countryside aswell ...!