Signal and Battery woes - could it be the SD?

Guest Max_Warp

Guest Max_Warp

I've had my MPX200 for about 3 weeks now. 8) I went 2 days without a memory card in the phone and had great signal and battery life was as good as can be expected - standby was 2 days without an issue.

I installed a 256MB SD card because who doesn't want the memory? :lol: Didn't think about anything except I was getting annoyed with the battery dying after being on standby for <12 hours (yes I made sure all the apps were really closed) I also noticed that I had a really bad signal inside my home where I had originally had a great signal.

After 3 weeks of frustration and nearly returning the phone :evil: - mind you I wasn't looking forward to that - I popped out the SD card to see if it was the source of my nightmare. Low and behold - suddenly my signal bumped up what looks like 25-30%. My phone is back to it's original state - I now have signal where I expect it and my phone is no longer draining the battery like a calf sucking a teat.

Am I the only one seeing the SD card as something that the 2002 software is not driving properly? :shock:

Guest alphaflux

Hi Max_Warp,

I am running an MPx200 with a 256MB PNY SD card and have never had any problems with it. Battery life and signal are quite remarkable. I must admit in certain places the call quality goes down, in that you can hear the digital clicks (like when you put the phone next to a radio), but thats only happened a couple of times and only when the battery is low.

Maybe there is something wrong with the SD card ? Have you tried it with the Orange supplied 16/32MB card ? Might be worth a go.

Alphaflux.

Guest Max_Warp

Unfortunately, being in the U.S., I have service through AT&T, who didn't provide any sort of SD card with the unit.

I was using a PNY 256MB card - I'm going to get my hands on another and see if that rectifies the situation. :?

Guest Bunchie

Hmmm I can't really imagine why the SD would cause excess battery drain. I am also using a 256mb card and have had no problems whatsoever. Are you sure theres not something you have overlooked that you have configured in the menus causing your drain? I get around 2-3 days of standby with mine with quite a bit of GPRS usage and MP3 playing.

Guest smittyofdhs

I use a 512mb card and haven't seen the issue. I will test this tonight as I have always had bad reception at the house (but I had the 512 card since day one). I will report back tomorrow.

Guest alphaflux

I am still not sure on the relation to the SD card for network coverage, but for battery life a lot of it depends on what you do with your phone on a regular basis. For example, as is the same for laptops, running games loads the processor quite nicely and pulls a lot of power. I am guessing that most of your apps are installed on the SD card, so when you remove it, your phone using habbits will change. Just a thought. :lol:

Run something like DoomSPV and you are asking for trouble with battery life. Have you ever noticed how hot the phone can get when running Doom! Its got to be done though, its just soooo cool. ;)