Orange SPV E200 smartphone is being withdrawn in UK

Guest adrianfox

Guest Bunchie

Hmm well i guess we will have to wait and see but to be honest i really don't count that site as a very reputable source. I'm sure if it is announced officially then we will hear about it soon enough

I'm having my new E200 replaced tomorrow. The sound quality is absolutely terrible to the point where I can't even hear what the other person is saying.

I'm rapidly losing faith in the platform. Loads of features seem to be bolted on with very little thought about integrating them properly. For instance the photo album is an add on - and within it, there is no functionality to beam pictures via IR or bluetooth. So to do this, I then have to remember the filename, go to another third party app, Smart Explorer, and send it this way (and no BT option yet although I'm sure this will appear). It's the same the GPRS counter, a feature that should be included as standard. I'm using the excellent iMeter but it would be nice if I didn't need to reinstall it, and other the useful progs after a hard reset. And although I doubt I'd use MMS much, I still would like an option to be able to include a new sound (unless I'm missing something). Coupled with apalling T9 (why can't you change words that you've moved on from, and entering figures takes ages as you have to switch input modes), and terrible battery life, I'm really tempted to switch to a T610 or T630 when it comes out as it all works so well.

I've had an SPV from almost the day it came out and I've loved it, but I always reckoned that many of its shortcomings would be fixed in later software updates. This hasn't really happened, and MS don't seem to have even fixed things in Smartphone 2003. Surely if MS used us, the general public for betatesting, this would never happen?

Having said all that, if the sound quality on my replacement phone is better, I'll stick with it for another year to see how things go. It is far faster than my old E100 (although I never found it that slow after I put the Imate ROM on it). If I did switch to a T610, I would def miss Internet Explorer!

Sorry for the rant!

Guest morpheus2702

Not that I subscribe to Msmoiles point of view (in my opinion, the Sunday Sport of Smartphones), but would you be that surprised if the E200 was recalled/withdrawn?

My reasoning is that with the E200 and the launch of Orange World, Orange are trying to emulate the success of Vodafone Live. One of the main sources of revenue are the games on offer?

With a 4-way joystick, the E200 is seriously hindered.

Sad thing is that his site gets picked up by Google news so the whole world can read a "press release" that the E200 is being recalled... I'm sure Orange, HTC and Microsoft won't be too thrilled by that, I bet he won't be invited to Mobius next year :lol:

Guest Simon Desser
you CAN insert sounds into new MMS's from the storage card, i've just sat here and done it!

Can you PLEASE tell me how :?: I CAN see an option to insert sounds and browse to them, but nothing shows up, and how do you insert a new recording :?: :?: :?:

Guest Daedalus

ok, after closer inspection it turns out that only .midi's can be attached, but they can be attached from both the Storage Card and Phone Memory.

And as for my earlier post, I whole heartedly apologise for what I said, I appear to have offended many people with that post and I'm sorry for doing so. I just wanted to tell you all how my E200 has been behaving, but I put it across in quite a strong way, probably because I'd just read the statement on msnmobiles.com about Orange withdrawing the E200 from shops, and I was annoyed at his reasons. As it turns out, I'm wrong and from what you've all said other people do seem to have the problem he stated, most of which I luckily don't have (yet...).

As for the battery life, mine spends most of the evening and all night until about 9am the next day in the cradle, so it only needs to last me about 8 hours for me to be happy. And considering that the day I stated was alot of heavy use, I barely put it down all day.

I'm sort of happy with it. I'm annoyed that I can't have the basic things that I need, such as a GPRS data counter & better Bluetooth connectivity (such as being able to send images, midi's and even videos over Bluetooth. Two of my friends have T610's and they've sent me animated gifs, images, midi's and more, but all I can send is contacts and appoinments :evil: ). Orange have also let me down quite a bit. I get 150 free MMS's for the first month, as has my friend, so the plan was to send each other pictures instead of texts for the first month, seeing as their free. Although his T610 was ready to go for MMS out of the box, mine won't send or recieve them at all, so I've got to make my way back to the Orange shop now. And, I was supossed to get the Tools & Travel card, and all I got was a TimeOut city guide, which I really would'nt use. I know I'd use the Ministry of Sound extras that your supposed to get, but I did'nt get the card so I would'nt know :? So once again, I'm going back down to the Orange shop for a word...

Guest statscat

Phone Customer services

They won't have enabled MMS on you account. :lol:

You need to *ask* for it, just because its an MMS phone doesn't mean they switch it on for you :roll:

They will send you a sim update and it should be fine after that

Guest www.msmobiles.com
he's collected those from newsgroup and forum posts.

I cannot express enough how naive you are, midnight! I own SEVERAL ms smartphones, including E200 !!! so it's not only "collecting from Internet" but also first hand experiences... wake up, midnight, I am not your enemy or something. We are on the same side in the smartphone wars...

Guest midnight

if you werent so busy trolling my posts you'd actually realise i was defending you with that comment, saying that other people have experienced those problems, not just your own comments (which people dont take seriously), read the posts before replying next time.

but you do obviously have a problem with me, out of all the comments made against you in this thread you singled me out, even though i havent said anything against you you will notice, but now i do have bad words to say against you, unfortunately due to the censoring of bad words on this forum i cant tell you what i now think of you.

Guest www.msmobiles.com
if you werent so busy trolling my posts you'd actually realise i was defending you with that comment, saying that other people have experienced those problems, not just your own comments (which people dont take seriously), read the posts before replying next time.

but you do obviously have a problem with me, out of all the comments made against you in this thread you singled me out, even though i havent said anything against you you will notice, but now i do have bad words to say against you, unfortunately due to the censoring of bad words on this forum i cant tell you what i now think of you.

I am not "trolling your posts" - I just wanted to clear things. My comments don't take seriously? If you knew size of traffic that msmobiles gets you would be shocked, pal.

singled you out? calm down pal! I just noticed your post by accident and wanted to clear the fact that I not only take things "from Internet" ...

cheer up! don't worry, be happy! relax.

Guest beersoft

JPZR,

if you want to be known as a reliable news source you do have to check your facts. if you don't understand what the press release means find your self an adult to read it to you.

i can give you a short list of places not to find real news

IRC

public news servers

the school playground

some bloke in the pub

good places to get news from are

Press releases

and

press officers at companys

later

Owen

"hot and spicy meatballs"

Guest www.msmobiles.com
if you want to be known as a reliable news source you do have to check your facts. if you don't understand what the press release means find your self an adult to read it to you.

so my speaking with Koreans from samsung mobile during trade show in Switzerland doesn't count?

no, I think any information that is CHECKED is OK.

the "e200 withdrawal" was not checked good enough, I admit and I apologize for it.

Guest beersoft

doh!!

sorry, i thought you where running a rumor site :lol: its news is it, ok.

if chatting to people at trade shows counts as real news, i had lunch with a director of a large german phone maker and they said "our [cant say its a nda] doesn't [cant say its a nda] and its being [cant say its a nda]"

what he told me is true but i can't put it on my website as news because its not allowed to be public knowledge.

but thats something you learn when your in a position of responsiblity ;)

later

Owen

"i know something you dont, ha ha ha"

Guest www.msmobiles.com
doh!!

sorry, i thought you where running a rumor site :lol: its news is it, ok.

if chatting to people at trade shows counts as real news, i had lunch with a director of a large german phone maker and they said "our [cant say its a nda]doesn't [cant say its a nda] and its being [cant say its a nda]"

ok, so it's rumor site to! big deal.. the problem is that people need news - A LOT OF NEWS EVERYDAY - and msmobiles is just satisfying this NEED. look at symbian sites like my-symbian.com or allaboutsymbian.com and you will see that msmobiles delivers MORE NEWS than these sites, despite the fact that ms smartphone has much much smaller market share. You see now that it's not so easy to satisfy people with news when the platform is not so popular (yet)???

BTW: I don't care about NDA so I can publish everything - what I do. Other sites are run by MVP boys and by some "serious journalists" so they can't.