Symbian OS Games vs. Windows Smartphone Games

Guest darkmatter

Symbian without even thinking twice.

First there are a lot of free games.

And now that the N-Gage console has been hacked you can run its great games on Nokia 3650 and others, and they are games that can match the quality of the best game consoles in the world. the Series 60 phones also had a lot of J2ME games developed for them so it's pretty much countless.

s*** ranzz ... i didnt know that ... so the full 3d tomb raider will run just as smooth on a 3650 ???

Somehow I find that hard to believe with only a ~104Mhz ARM cpu ....

J2ME games can be run on the spv as well so thats not a valid argument either ...

Yeah, the SAME Arm9 104MHz cpu as the N-Gage has!!!

This whole N-Gage elephant-ear-phone is a 3650+radio-camera in a differenet package.

Running J2ME midlets on the SPV is ILLEGAL as the software was copyrighted for Mio phones only. and from what I understand, even if you use this stolen software, it won't run too well.

Guest midnight

symbian? be serious, first, ngage games on any other symbian device are illegal, secondly, java cannot compete with properly coded games for the smartphone. MS Smartphone is relatively new compared to Symbian Java games, be patient, games on our SPV's will easily beat Symbian games (oh, and most NGage games suck anyway, including tomb raider (needs wider display), only good one so far is tony hawks. they do not match the quality of games consoles thats for certain.

shameless plug: NGage isnt powerfull enough to run Kumite as good as the SPV

Guest gpcarreon (MVP)
shameless plug: NGage isnt powerfull enough to run Kumite as good as the SPV

:lol: This will be the best game!

.................KUMITE..................

kumite_demo.gif

But we're not talking about the future are we?

Most of the Modaco members are playing (lame) old games ("classic") such as Xrick/SPVinvadors/Pacman!? come on. check out some of Gameloft's games for Series 60, their Rayman and Rayman golf are some of the best mobile games ever.

Guest midnight

ok, snails, links, toki tori, Odyssey, pocket mini golf, total soccer, gpod, smartanoid, lemonade inc, rocket elite, bust em, done in 50 seconds, boxy pocket and i happen to like xrick, spvinvaders and spvman actually, and dont consider them to be lame at all, oh and theres a game we'll have finished in approximately 1 month time (not too far into the future for you is it?), i'd say thats plenty o good games available, wouldnt you? (theres many more, sorry if i've missed out on any you prefer), hell, even Doom runs pretty well.

Most java games are terrible (some as low as 5fps), and i definitely wouldnt say rayman was anywhere near the best mobile game ever, but then, i never liked the original rayman games on the pc/playstation etc. Yes there are some decent games for symbian 60, but the good ones dont seem to be Java based.

one other small point, running J2ME games on the spv isnt illegal, its just illegal to use the Mio JVM, as i understand it, msmobiles is developing a JVM that is due soon.

its one of those things, both platforms have their good and bad games, but i see more potential in the Windows platform than i do in the Symbian platform (and that even includes beating the game specific NGage device), especially with directx being announced.

Guest gpcarreon (MVP)
i see more potential in the Windows platform than i do in the Symbian platform (and that even includes beating the game specific NGage device), especially with directx being announced.

AMEN. :wink: :lol:

Guest darkmatter

the question is why?

SPV has the capability to run smooth and more complex game but no one wants to develop a game

that can leave symbian games in the dust...WHY??

Guest midnight

who says we arent :lol:

also a lot of it is time, symbian has been around quite a while, whereas the ms smartphone os is relatively new. also, it is a bigger risk on ms smartphone (fewer potential cusdtomers for now at least). things will get better over the next year though :D

Guest NederSoren

heh.. bad example.. Instaler Flame suck ass.. But you're right on that it looks good.. and if the gameplay were good/fun, you would actually have a very good point :lol:

//NederSoren

Guest SsSiIiMmM

instellar flames is on symbian too :lol:

I had both 3650 and e200 (until I returned my e200 yesterday:( ) and even though the e200 has much more potential

the symbian games are 100 times better at the moment

as for ngage games... only got two working: sonic and puyo puyo

and i have not seen a game on then e200 that comes anyway close to the brilliance of sonic

the other thing is that there are loads of decent games for symbian compared to only a handful on the e200

this is my opinion at the current state of games on both platforms

I do believe that in the future the ms smartphones will overtake symbian but at the moment symbian has no competition

ofcourse i mean the graphics and not the gameplay... but hey.. ther is games that cant be made on java the same as ms smartphone games.. like Snails <-- you wont be abel to make a java engine think that fast can you ?

Guest SsSiIiMmM
ofcourse i mean the graphics and not the gameplay... but hey.. ther is games that cant be made on java the same as ms smartphone games.. like Snails <-- you wont be abel to make a java engine think that fast can you ?

Snails was made for symbian too - not java though because games can be done is symbian (sis) format as well as java

havent played it on either so I cant comment on how it compares on each phone

If someone has tryed it on both types of phone then maybe they could provide a constructive comparision???

as i was typing... Snails on an symbian phone goes slower.. it takes longer time 4 it to calculate the move.. sometimes wee thought it got stuck :/

dont remember the phne do.. i think it was an sonyericsson :/

One advantage for MS Smartphone is that it much easier to port a Pocket PC game to it than it is to port to Symbian, and there are lots of great games out there for Pocket PC.

Why there isn't more people porting their Pocket PC games to Smartphone I don't know (but it probably has to do with the fact that sales are still much lower for Smartphone).

We ported our games 3Dris and Beshaped to Smartphone and sales is much better on Pocket PC than on Smartphone.

• 1 month later...
Guest megaman

Who cares about symbian games when you can play divx at 24fps on our mpx200!! :lol: i rather watch a nice crisp and clearn episode of The Family Guy rather thn play a darn game on a phone!

Guest Lisbon67

I would have to say that the Symbian os has more games out, and at the moment, the quality of them is slightly better. But the potential of the Smartphone games far exceeds the potential of Symbian.

Have a look at Links for example. That's a game.

The reason Smartphone is behind in number of games is down to one simple fact in my opinion, and that's Nokias decision to go with Symbian rather than Microsoft.

All my friends and work colleagues own Nokias. I'm the only one with a Smartphone, the original SPV, which is still better than the Nokias of this world, even after a year of owning it.

What we need is some killer handsets. If we get a few, then watch the Smartphone market really take off.

Guest midnight

errr, its patrly cos it takes time to create 'good' ms smartphone games, 6-12 months at least, and thats why you get very few really good games. A lot of the games companies thathave developed games so far are either 'bedroom programmers', or games co's looking for quick money, and so not concerned with quality. The ms smartphone is only just over a year old dont forget, whereas the java platform has been around for many years. We'll catch up eventually, especially with stuff like 3d acceleration and mobile direct x on the way.

The potential of ms smartphone games has not been yet met (and no, links is nowhere near full potential), whereas i'd say java games have hit a bit of a brick wall.