E200 - Serious "Flight Mode" Bug

Guest Pagemakers

Bugs like this are the reason I personally don't agree with flight mode. Smartphones are buggy enough at the mo without risking it. Live without it on a plane and accept this as one of the limitations of an all in one device.

And this is all before you consider the "he's using his phone I must be able to use mine" arguments.

And pagemakers, without trying to start an argument, I have to say I agree with spacemonkey on this one. If you were flying the airplane then should you really be fiddling with your phone? Just my $0.02...

Guest mcwarre

Jeez,

Not really difficult is it? Turn the airplane/flight mode on before you go on the aircraft. And you wonder why aircrew/cabincrew are reluctant to let people use the phone even with the airplane mode on?

Pagemakers, I hate to say this but I feel I have to; what you were doing was effectively an unauthorised flight test of a piece of known, potentially dangerous, equipment. Moreover, you did it with passengers on board; at best that is a serious lapse in judgement; at worst the CAA would consider it gross negligence and possibly revoke your type license and possibly your CPL/PPL.

Before a flaming war starts that was my considered profesional judgement (16 years experience as an authorised aircraft engineer (not technician) qualifications; BEng MSc CEng MIEE)

Guest Pagemakers

Ok guys, we've done this one to death elsewhere in the forums and other newsgroups months ago. This is old hat now.

Mcwarre, I hear your comments but I don't remember stating that I had passengers onboard.

Let's not sensationalise things here.

I now know how flight mode operates and I can confirm I do NOT use my phone in flight whether in flight mode or not. Hopefully this little saga will have helped clarify the flight mode operation for other unsuspecting travellers.

Guest monty1

wOAH,

Think you should all calm down . I would not presume to tell a qualified pilot what to do in his own plane . and after all its less dangerous than swigging whisky or chasing trolley dollys.

Guest mcwarre
wOAH,

Think you should all calm down . I would not presume to tell a qualified pilot what to do in his own plane .

Neither would I; that's the CAA's job! :wink: :wink:

Back on topic:

Anyone successfully convinced a steward / pilot on an airline that it is safe to use a device in flight mode?

Guest Jay247

Nokia phones have this feature since they put calendars in: set an alarm and turn the phone off. Then the phone comes to life, and if you switch it on, it'll ask you if you want to "switch it on to make phone calls".

The E200 doesn't even ring the alarm when it's switched off...

Guest Pagemakers
Anyone successfully convinced a steward / pilot on an airline that it is safe to use a device in flight mode?

That is the million dollar question. I guess in my company 50% of the Captains would let you and 50% wouldn't.

Guest DancingMatt

I've definitely been without a signal and managed to switch the phone to Flight Mode. That's what the homescreen said and the signal indicator had a cross. This has definitely been during when I've had no signal, such as on the underground for instance.

Of course I suppose I can't tell whether it actually is off, but everything visually says so. So I can turn mine off whenever, bar before the enter PIN screen on bootup.

Not tried on a plane, I hasten to add.

Guest Pagemakers

Interestingly my airline has just amended its welcome onboard PAs to include "The use of mobile telephones in flight mode is not permitted."

Posted from my SmartPhone!

• 4 months later...
Guest LardyBoy

On the subject of flight mode, whenever I use it (not on planes - actually to stop calls whilst I use it as an MP3 player in the gym) it does the job but when I switch it off, it always leaves the phone in discoverable bluetooth mode even though I always have bluetooth off as it nobbles battery life and I consider it fairly pointless as I use a wired headset in the car.

Anyone lese had this happen with flight mode and know how to stop it or is this a bug?

Incidentally, the difference between a bug and a design feature: a bug is when a system does something unexpected that was not specifically designed and created. A design feature is when something a user thinks would be a 'nice to have' isn't there and wasn't in the original design spec.

Trust me: I'm a developer ;-)