All types of files can be sent by bluetooth!!!

Guest v1nn1e

Before I posted this i searched to see if someone else noticed this. I found out that people are waiting for a new smart explorer to be able to send files via bluetooth. Anyway I found out that IA File Manager locates Bluetooth devices when trying to send via IR. So basically if another device is set to discoverable, then any file can be sent to it!

To be able to receive via bluetooth, 'beam' in settings must be on.

I just hope i am not repeating someone else's findings!

I have also come to the conclusion that any program using the standard e200's way of IR send/receive will be able to do this. I know IA File Manager uses the phones standard way. Smart Explorer doesn't. Not sure about Resco and Dat.

Can someone else confirm

Guest shadamehr

No, your news IS new mate.

But not very helpful in that you did not explain too well how you do this.

If I use Multimedia Album, as built into my e200, and browse to an image, and choose send, the only options I get, are Via MMs, or Via Email.

I assume you mean Multimedia Album, when you refer to using the phones own method of Beaming.

If so, how do we get the Send by IR option in the first place?

The only thing I can find that does this, is Smart Explorer. And using that, it ONLY looks for IR devices.

So your info IS new, but is NOT fully helpful as it stands - so PLEASE mate - elaborate a fair bit please?

Cheers too!

Guest shadamehr

Mmmm - following up - I see what you mean sort of now.

I downloaded and installed the 15 day trial of IA File Explorer. Sure enough, it does indeed do what you say.

If I browse to a file, and then choose Send By IR, it actually also browses for devices connected by BT too, and allows me to send a file.

The PROBLEM is that IA File Explorer COSTS! IT is not free, and thus not really a solution therefore, to a problem that should be resolved by the OS itself.

So i am curious as to what you say about the phone itself supporting this function for any software that uses normal phone features.

I say this because I too beleive it IS the phone that is allowing this to work (which is a major revalation in its own right), but I cannot seem to think of any FREE software that supports this feature of the phone.

So do you know of any then mate?

Oh, and a HUGE star point for spotting this anyhow!!!

Guest shadamehr

Ferret. Seems you typed yours as I found out for myself.

But this doesn't answer the bit about other software that uses the phone functions itself, allowing this.

So what DOES this for free?

Cos if the answer is nothing, then we are not a lot further forward.

As I REFUSE point blank to PAY for something that Nokia nd other phones have had for 2 years, for free.

That is mental indeed...

'..... any program using the standard e200's way of IR send/receive will be able to do this. I know IA File Manager uses the phones standard way. Smart Explorer doesn't. Not sure about Resco exploeer and Dat's explorer.'

Let me try to explain in a better way...

Firstly an example of the built in IR function.

To see this, pretend to beam a contact via IR. The screen has the follwing.....

IR Align

Searching

When sending a file using IA File manager, it uses this same IR function. Both these functions will pick up bluetooth devices(after about 5 secs).

Why doesn't Smart Explorer work this way!?

Well....

Smart Explorer wrote their own little protocol of sending/receiving. You can tell this as the screen when actually sending or receiving is totally different from the standard. It has a status box and another box with a progress bar.

Another way of telling the difference is that in the standard way, if a file is received, it will go to different areas of the phone. i.e. if a .txt or .jpg is received the file will be placed in the storage/My documents folder by the standard protocol. With Smart explorer's IR protocol, the file is put from wherever you chose to 'receive from IR' from.

See the difference now?

Smart Explorer uses it's own IR sending/receiving protocal hense it doesn't search for bluetooth devices like the standard protocol.

Also if you set 'beam' in settings to 'on' smart explorer's IR function won't work! Unlike the canary, the e200 hasn't got a 'receive from IR' in it's programs menu. Setting 'beam' to on is the only way to receive files on the e200.

Smart Explorer.JPG

standard.JPG

As for free software that allows sending all types of files through the standard IR protocol. I am not aware of any as yet.

Hoping now i have explained myself and pointed out the differences, other people will be able to spot some!

Guest shadamehr

Thanks mate for that - I understand you fully now.

So here's hoping someone DOES come up with some software, or those clever guys at Smart Explorer move over to the phone's standard implementation.

Another comment though, for this to work, I would hazard that the phone hass to support it itself in the underlying O.S.

As it now seems apparent that it does, it beggars the question why the HELL doesn't it support it out of the box?

Nice one MS/Orange/HTC - DOH!

Guest casper508

v1nn1e amazing find!! Just selected all the pics i took over the weekend and saw them land in my BT Exchange folder. Now to get this feature in the OS somehow.

Cas

Guest shadamehr
http://smartphone.MoDaCo.com/viewtopic.php?t=55367>Smart Explorer developper will shortly release a complete bluetooth compatible version. From what he said to me it is just a matter of a few weeks, maybe less.

Here's hoping so.

He sometimes posts in this Forum.

I wonder if we can 'pin him down' and ask him to respond, as this would be a great feature.

The only problem is (this to the guy who beamed loads of pics to his PC, mentioned higher up), is how SLOW this is - not in terms of sending, but in terms of identification first.

As I have a Bluetooth Laptop, a Bluetooth PC, two nokia N-Gages, and my E200, when the E200 first starts to search for Infra Red devices in range (except it ALSO includes BT, and hence how this works), it takes ages to get it to fully identify each device, and change the listing for it from the hexadecimal code, to the proper device name.

This makes it rather poor overall, but that's M.S. for you.

Contrast, alas dare I say it, with the N-Gage itself, which 'remembers' any device it has already connected to over Bluetooth, and allows you to cancel a search and just choose one of those devices. Additionally, its searching of new devices is lightning fast anyhow.

And did I mention its range? I appreciate it was designed as a Multiplayer game device so you would expect a good range, but come on... Being able to sit upstairs in my big old house, record a voice message, and instantly beam it over BT 100% of the time, to my girlfriend's N-Gage all the way downstairs...?

I can't even talk to my E200 over Bluetooth from 15 foot away...

Guest MrMagoo

i dont know what your walls are made of but i am sat about twenty to thirty feet from my pc atm using bt to send this (also on a different floor in the house with doors and walls in the way) Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest shadamehr
i dont know what your walls are made of but i am sat about twenty to thirty feet from my pc atm using bt to send this (also on a different floor in the house with doors and walls in the way)  Posted from my SmartPhone!

I kid you not, but (dare I say this on here, and embaress myself), when sat on the 'lavatory' which is a mere 15 foot away from my laptop, and has an external window that points to my bedroom window in the room where the laptop is (in other words, a letter L shaped building layout where you can look out of one window and into the other), I can't even browse the internet using Bluetooth, and my Active Sync Pass Thru on the Laptop which has 2Mb Broadband, as I keep losing the Bluetooth connection.

Honestly mate, its the pits. My N-Gage will send from bedroom to downstairs front living room, in a big old house.

So maybe you have thinner or less brick based walls than me, or whatever, but the Bluetooth range of my E200 is about the shortest of any device I've seen.

Aside from which it only matches all the other posts on here about its terribly short range.

Now I'm just jealous of how lucky you are...

You can't understand what I am going through, being deprived of free mobile internet over Bluetooth, whilst whileing away the hours sitting on the loo...

I'm devastated now...

:wink:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest shadamehr
I tested this the other day, and could walk out of my house and around the corner until BT disconnected - I'd say about 50 or 60 feet easy!

Ok - not wanting to start too much of a debate, as I don't doubt you mate, but if this IS the case for you, then so far on this board, that equates to about twenty to thirty posts from users who can't even turn sideways from their PC next to them without losing the BT connection, compared with two who get a good range.

I believe you entirely mate.

Just your the exceptions, not the rules, so to speak.

Oh, and I have THREE Bluetooth solutions - a PC card, and two different USB dongles, incorparating BOTH main Bluetooth Drivers, not just the WIDCOMM one.

So it isn't my PC - its my Phone...

(er especially, as if it WAS the PC that has the short range, how does this equate to an excellent range when they connect to two seperate N-Gages, and a P900 of my sister in law who lives NEXT DOOR!)

Nope - my E200 BT range is pathetic mate.

Guest MrMagoo

ok, so lets see if there are any differences in the phones....

I got mine end of december / start november 2003 from Orange

Version - 4.20.0 (Build 13288)

Radio Vers - 1.09.00

Operator 1.1.1.4

Manufacturer 1.6.0.0

Microsoft 4.20.13288.0

Language 1.6.0.0

file system 4.20.13288.0

using msi 6967 bt dongle ( claims 200m range outdoors ) MSI 6967 Dongle Info

widcomm 1.3.2.7 drivers for bt dongle

Guest shadamehr

Mine: